• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Potroast with a bit of Habanero for flavor....

If anyone's interested, pm me for my mail address and send an SASE and I'll mail you some native Sonoran pepper seeds that will amaze you.

Carolina Reapers and whatnot aren't really all that.

I'll send you a mix of Chilipenes, both Phoenix and Sonoran varieties (Phoenix are oblong and Sonoran are round) as well as some of our hybrids.

I'll also throw in some Ordano from Northern Mexico Copper Canyon and hybrids of them.

The chilipenes like a 10 gallon plastic pot and the Ordanos seem to like 5 or 7 gallon better.

They will grow indoors if it's cold where you are until it gets warm enough to put them outside.

Chilipenes can get pretty big, most of ours are between 6 to 8 foot tall and 3' to 4' foot wide, they can and should be pruned so you can control the size.

Most of ours are 4-5 years old and don't mind a frost.

The Ordanos are maybe a foot or two tall and wide and go through color changes, some people confuse the Ordano with Chinese 7 color peppers, they range from a cream color to purple to yellow, orange and then red.

Both the chiltepins and the Ordano are great pickled or crushed and are super prolific.

After the first year you'll have more seeds than you know what to do with, share them freely.

The hybrids are really awesome! and random. Probably have habenero, serrano, jalapeno and red hot mixed together cross-pollinated and who knows what.

Matter of fact I'll throw in some redhots too, although they are pretty mild usually.

View attachment 7785557
View attachment 7785559
View attachment 7785560

View attachment 7785561
Deer here love those little red peppers. I don't see how they can take the heat but they'll stand there and pick the plants clean if they aren't fenced off. Turkeys too.

Reactions: Jim Out
Deer here love those little red peppers. I don't see how they can take the heat but they'll stand there and pick the plants clean if they aren't fenced off. Turkeys too.
Deer eat weird stuff. Ever taste an acorn?

• Haha
Reactions: Snuby642 and 6.5SH
Not sure which jalapeños i have, my buddy gave them to me. I still have a lot of fruit on the bushes, but made several batches of hot salsa that was excellent although only i could eat it because it was so hot.
We have some that are "Bonnie" that a tenant left behind so we adopted them.

They are much larger and have great heat than what we had been growing.

We saved the seeds and will be replanting primarily Bonney this year so we'll see how they do cross pollinating with the others.

I think you have to buy the plants (Home Depot sells Bonnie plants) cause they don't sell their seed?

Reactions: Jgunner
I like big butts!! Started these real early this morning and they have been at the 180 mark for a little while. Just about to go get them from the smoker to rest. This picture was from about two hours ago.
PXL_20220116_213032836.jpg

That sounds really good. Never made it spicy like that. We usually make it with dry onion soup with some potatoes and carrots on the side but honestly Chilli is my “go to” food in the cold winter. My wife makes a mean chili 🤟

Crock pots are for women that are to busy with other work.

Season and sear your pot roast in a large skillet on all sides, use a little oil. Oil a roasting pan and add meat, potatoes, carrots and mushrooms.

In same skillet brown some thick onion slices / chunks then add them in roasting pan. Add any fufu spices on top.

Deglaze skillet with a box of beef broth and poor that into roasting pan. Cook covered for a couple hours and then uncover till done.

Use a remote meat thermometer and quit opening the damn door.

Poor out liquid and put back in skillet to make gravey.

That's what @TexPatriot is looking for I think.
I love my roasting pan.

I sear every bit of meat I cook. That color is flavor, then de-baste the pan with onions. More flavor.

I’ll take all the scraps on that left plate. Would be good with a little Carolina Gold sauce.

I put pork butts in the crockpot sometimes for pulled pork, not the same but I’m lazy and it still tastes good.

I’ll take all the scraps on that left plate. Would be good with a little Carolina Gold sauce.

I put pork butts in the crockpot sometimes for pulled pork, not the same but I’m lazy and it still tastes good.
If I can use post oak, I'll go the extra effort and baby sit the smoker all day but most of the time I cut corners and use the crock pot, a can of root beer or coke and pull it using Sweet Baby Ray's.

I feed off it all week making sliders and breakfast tacos.

Served with some great crusty bread and a huge chunk of butter.... and slathered with Heinz 57...

Is the greatest winter comfort food ever created.

Fight me.

Sirhr

PS... if you have something better in mind... post it so I can make it. It's fucking January here. I need all the help I can get.
Maybe pot roast is right but not made that way

Mississippi style FTW

Mississippi Pot Roast.jpg

A close second but maybe even better is a properly prepared veal/beef/pork meatloaf with some outstanding mashed taters and mushroom gravy

Nik's Meat Loaf Served.jpg

Shepherd's Pie is also great in this weather and always pleases with a nice cold beer

Shepherd's Pie.jpg

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
@Jim Out

We grow Tepins every year. A bit tougher up here. The plant only lasts one year unless it's kept inside over the winter. Some of our tricks:

When fresh add to any skillet dish. Two if you leave the seeds in and three if you take 'em out. This is fairly mild, add more to taste. After a while you will be looking to add them to anything. At the end of the season pick them all, most will ripen after picking. When dried put them in a blender and grind to size for a shaker. Add to taste during cooking or at the table. There will be a layer of dust in the blender after removing the shaker pepper. Be careful with this. Collect it and add wherever a more concentrated taste is desired.

And for something different; pick some while they are still green. The stem will pull off with the pepper, leave it on for a handle to grab them with later. Fill a jar, boil some white vinegar with a sliced garlic clove and a bay leaf and pour over the Tepins to full. Cap while hot, let cool slowly and refrigerate. Enjoy with a sandwich, a pepper per sandwich bite, not as hot as the ripe ones. I don't know how long they will last in a fridge, they disappear to fast.

And for something really different; Take a cup or so of the shaker pepper grindings and place in a glass jar. Add grain alcohol to about half inch over the pepper flakes. Cover it and swirl it around two or three times a day for a week or so. Now open it up, strain off the pepper flakes, put the remaining liquid outside in the sun, or wherever you want, and let the alcohol evaporate. A thick(ish) liquid will remain. Use carefully as flavoring.

Love these peppers.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Last edited:
@Jim Out

We grow Tepins every year. A bit tougher up here. The plant only lasts one year unless it's kept inside over the winter. Some of our tricks:

When fresh add to any skillet dish. Two if you leave the seeds in and three if you take 'em out. This is fairly mild, add more to taste. After a while you will be looking to add them to anything. At the end of the season pick them all, most will ripen after picking. When dried put them in a blender and grind to size for a shaker. Add to taste during cooking or at the table. There will be a layer of dust in the blender after removing the shaker pepper. Be careful with this. Collect it and add wherever a more concentrated taste is desired.

And for something different; pick some while they are still green. The stem will pull off with the pepper, leave it on for a handle to grab them with later. Fill a jar, boil some white vinegar with a sliced garlic clove and a bay leaf and pour over the Tepins to full. Cap while hot, let cool slowly and refrigerate. Enjoy with a sandwich, a pepper per sandwich bite, not as hot as the ripe ones. I don't know how long they will last in a fridge, they disappear to fast.

And for something really different; Take a cup or so of the shaker pepper grindings and place in a glass jar. Add grain alcohol to about half inch over the pepper flakes. Cover it and swirl it around two or three times a day for a week or so. Now open it up, strain off the pepper flakes, put the remaining liquid outside in the sun, or wherever you want, and let the alcohol evaporate. A thick(ish) liquid will remain. Use carefully as flavoring.

Love these peppers.

Thank you,
MrSmith
Thank you so much!

It's awesome to run into another peppino fan!

We've been growing 2 or 3lbs a year of these little gems for the last 4-5 years, they are awesome and turn into little trees here.

I read where someone had a 20' tall plant that grew into their orange tree.

Ours have a 1" or so trunk on the older/larger ones, that sucks that yours only last one season.

Where is "up here"?

We're wanting to send some seeds to Canada.

It's funny how many folks overlook grain alcohol, my wife has been making her own "brown party liquor" Kalua knock off with good coffee and grain for a long time...I call it SheLua...

...love the blue flame.

As far as "letting the alcohol evaporate".....

we've been making corriander vodka and peppered vodka!

my wife's not a huge fan of cilantro, but put the seeds (coriander) into some french vodka or even the american style vodka......

pepinos in vodka rocks!

reposado tequila is just dangerous.....with pepinos infused....

CIMG1370.JPG

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Snuby642