• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder Advice - 40 S&W 180 gr FMJ & plated

jrob300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2009
Montana
I've been using Silhouette, but it's getting hard to find. I have access to W231, Titegroup, Unique and Blue Dot. I may be able to get others, but haven't really looked.

Looking for solid advice from guys who roll their own and have put more than 3 rounds downrange from a given load.
wink.gif

I know that the .40 is a high pressure round and that powders like Titegroup can squeeze you in a corner, so any data like that is appreciated also. Also understand that doublecharging with certain loads is an issue. This kind of data is also appreciated (x load with y powder is NOT over half case, etc.)

Go.

John

Re: Powder Advice - 40 S&W 180 gr FMJ & plated

I use 3.0 Clays with 180s, 725fps and a nice soft shooting Minor Power Factor load out of my Glock 35, 3.5 of Titegroup is a little faster but dirtier, and just as soft. Don't use Clays for full power ammo, Titegroup and/or W231 will work for minor or full power ammo.

titegroup powder doesn't like reduced charges very much, 4.5 with a rainier 180gr bullet is very clean and accurate, 3.5 is unconsistent and filthy.
clays is not recommanded for full power in the 40 cal. I have had a few mishaps with it. For reduced load it is just fine.

Apparently, some folks like Longshot (sometimes referred to as Loud-shot!) for .40 cal.
I bought some a while back, but haven't had time to set up for reloading yet, so I cannot vouch for how good it is. Just thought I would mention it to help you.

From the powders you listed, 231 is one I've used for lighter loads. You want a little more velocity, HS6 is closer to Silhouette than 231. I've never loaded a gr of Unique, but it looks like a suitable powder based on manuals.

Oh, look for some imr imr4756. Not many people shoot it and it may be the last thing sitting on the shelf. It works well for ..40 and .45.

I have used Longshot with 180s and 200s got good results, switched to PowerPistol, to use one powder for all my pistol calibers and like it a lot.

jrob300,

Word of warning here. While you've been given some good powder options by the previous posters, the 40 S&W is, by its very nature, a touchy little SOB to load. It's not just (as you mentioned) a "high pressure" round, it's that it tends to run into very sudden pressure spikes without a lot of warning. In otherwords, the loads don't tend to be as linear as some other cartridges are. The 10mm ACP is a very high pressure round, and yet is far easier to load for than the 40 S&W, because it has that linearity in loads and pressures. Doesn't tend to spike as suddenly or without warning like the 40 can. Add to this the problems associated with an unsupported chamber (as found in the Glock 40s), and you've got the potential for some issues.

I'm not knocking the 40. I own at least five of them, and a Glock 23 is my standard carry gun. I've reloaded tens of thousands of rounds for these, all without incident. Seen it happen to plenty of others, however, and my approach to loading for this one reflects that. Don't push it too hard, watch it closely for any signs of pressure sensitivity and follow the standard reloading safety practices where this one is concerned.

Titegroup is my goto powder for the 40. I get great accuracy and speed with 4.6gr under 180 pills. Have shot over 10k rounds with this recipe. I tend to load long to keep the the pressure in check.

WST, or Winchester Super Target is hard to beat for .40 loads. It's got a nice feel to it, burns clean, and typically readily available.

I've had great luck with HS-6 with the Hornady 180gr HAP bullets. I want to say it was 6.5grs, but I'd have to check my notes at home. Been using them for bowling pin matches up here in the PNW

Well, the answer to my problem was made for me. The only thing I can get locally right now is Unique.

@Kevin... I appreciate the very well written tutorial on the 40 S&W. It's good to see that there are guys out there willing to take the time to educate others. In this particular case, I was at least aware of the finicky nature of this cartridge and the need to be prudent in handloading. It's actually one of the things that slowed my foray into mass-loading for handgun, but the complete lack of ammo has forced my hand. I load for 300WM, .260 and .223 currently and have played a bit, as I mentioned with Silhouette on a single stage, but it's time to join the big leagues, get a progressive and go to town.

Thanks to everybody who contributed. You can continue to add to the thread if you like. I'm not the only guy on this forum in this particular situation, I reckon.
wink.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DM.Oakes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had great luck with HS-6 with the Hornady 180gr HAP bullets. I want to say it was 6.5grs, but I'd have to check my notes at home. Been using them for bowling pin matches up here in the PNW</div></div>

What you shooting them from? About to start loading the same components for a Glock 35. 6.1-6.9grns is the min-max listed by Hodgdon for HS-6.

John

Have you tried AA no. 5? I might assume that went pretty fast. If you like lighter bullets in the .40 then AA no. 2 works pretty good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might assume that went pretty fast. </div></div>

Todd, as you know, I work there... and it caught *me* with my pants down.
shocked.gif

Our distributors show goose-eggs on *everything*. Overnight.

John

Rob01 - It's a Glock 22 w/ Storm lake 2 Port extended barrel.

Cool thanks. I load 6.7grns with 115s in my 9mm now so there won't be much change to the powder measure when swapping over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 3.0 Clays with 180s, 725fps and a nice soft shooting Minor Power Factor load out of my Glock 35, 3.5 of Titegroup is a little faster but dirtier, and just as soft. Don't use Clays for full power ammo, Titegroup and/or W231 will work for minor or full power ammo. </div></div>

+1, I use 3.0 of Clays with Berrys 180's out of a Glock 22, I load 3.2 Clays for my buddy's Sig as his won't cycle completely with 3.0, both very soft fun shooting loads

GREG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 3.0 Clays with 180s, 725fps and a nice soft shooting Minor Power Factor load out of my Glock 35, 3.5 of Titegroup is a little faster but dirtier, and just as soft. Don't use Clays for full power ammo, Titegroup and/or W231 will work for minor or full power ammo. </div></div>

+1, I use 3.0 of Clays with Berrys 180's out of a Glock 22, I load 3.2 Clays for my buddy's Sig as his won't cycle completely with 3.0, both very soft fun shooting loads

GREG </div></div>

I've been using for plinking ammo 4.0gr Clays + 155gr FMJ Montana Gold and has been pretty mild from my Glock 22. I think they were running about 950-975. My only complaint about Clays is that it's hard to get a consistent throw even out of my Redding 3BR

Titegroup and VV N320 both work very well with 180s out of the .40. I run around 4.9g of either in my STI, but think I was somewhere around 4.4 out of my Glock due to the shorter OAL.