• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Powder charge accuracy/long range

Re: Powder charge accuracy/long range

DocB,

Thanks. That is exactly what I'm looking for. Quickload/QuickTarget is expected from Santa this year. ;o)

My interest is practical: I don't compete, no match is on the line, but I do want to shoot to the best of my ability. However, I think that my skills have a long way to go, especially wind reading, before I can justify a $3,000 Promethious Gen II as a must have. There is no doubt that some shooters' skills warrant that nano-grain accuracy...but not mine.

Again, thank you.

427Cobra, as much as some long range guys hate BR and group shooting, it does require a bit of skill and anal reloading habits. However, not so much attention is paid to powder weight...just dropped by volume, and adjusted by clicks up or down to fine tune for the current conditions. I have no doubt that greater distance requires different techniques. I just don't have the experience beyond 300 to even hold an intelligent opinion. Experience matters. That is why I ask experienced people questions.

I hear people say that they can shoot .15 to .20 MOA all day long but, honestly, I have only agged under .2" twice in over twenty years of shooting. I had top of the line gear but I don't compete so these groups mean nothing, other than personal satisfaction. Oddly enough, both sub .2 aggs were fired with the same barrel, as two different calibers (6PPC BR rifle and 6BR Varmint rifle), nearly 10 years apart. I shoot Kriegers now but that Hart was the best single barrel that I've ever had.
Two_Sub_Twos.jpg

For years I was limited to 100 yards at a local range. My current gun club is limited to 300 yards, so I am now streching a bit. The best that I've agged so far at 300 yards was low 0.3 MOA but I do well to get 0.5 MOA on average. Every now and then, you get one "almost" great one. Hell, with cataracts (now removed), I couldn't even see the group at 300. I got caught with a hard switch in wind. LOL.
Heart_Breaker.jpg

I no longer shoot BR rifles. I now shoot BAT single shots in 22BR, 6BR, and 6.5x47 Lapua in A-5 stocks plus AICS 2.0 stocked KMW 308 Surgeon and GAP 223 Rem 700. I still test them with groups, however, as well as Frank's one shot per dot method. It's all fun.

"I hear people say that they can shoot .15 to .20 MOA all day long but, honestly, I have only agged under .2" twice in over twenty years of shooting."

BAT, I read those fabulous group claims too. With big grin.
wink.gif

YOUR accuracy is documented with those consecutive photos, I'm impressed!