• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder for .308 Match Loads

cherokee5425

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2008
Johnstown, PA
I have been having a hard time finding IMR 4895 powder for reloading for my .308. Does anyone have any input as to using another powder other than IMR 4895 for making up some match loads for the .308, Thanks in advance.

I have been having a hard time finding IMR 4895 powder for reloading for my .308. Does anyone have any input as to using another powder other than IMR 4895 for making up some match loads for the .308, Thanks in advance.

Varget is what the vast majority of shooters use and for good reason, its a great powder for 308 with many different bullet weights. Other powders mentioned in previous post work well also just not quite as temp stable as Varget but they usually give more velocity than Varget. The problem is getting powder, any powder, its scarce at the moment.

My .308 powders in order of preference:
Varget
H-4895
IMR-4895
IMR-4320
RL15
IMR-4064
AA-2495
AA-4064
Tac
AA-2520
BLC-2

I haven't tried CFE, had extreme pressure issues with MR-2000. Acutally, all of the ball powders I've tried, I've had pressure issues with higher temps but less with Tac than the others.

For .223, the same powders except 4064's of both varieties. Tac has done very well for me velocity wise and would be closer to the top of the list in the heavier bullets but still rare pressure issues on very hot days if I'm close to max loading (which I only do during testing).

I know, some will have other powders, this is just from my experience.

Last edited:
Varget is my go to .308 powder. Very temp insensitive and gives excellent velocities. Never let me down.

Sounds like Varget is pretty popular. I meant to add that I will be using 168 gr match bullets. Right now I've got some Hornady 168 amax. How about some recipes using the varget. I don't have any newer reloading manuals.

I am running strictly ARcomp in my .308s. I still have Varget on hand since it was always my powder of choice. After i began using ARComp powder I have not looked back. Great velocity and temp insensitive. Start load is 41.0 for 175 smk or 178 amax.
I am still finding it on shelves regularly. Picked up two lbs. today to add to my collection.

Sounds like Varget is pretty popular. I meant to add that I will be using 168 gr match bullets. Right now I've got some Hornady 168 amax. How about some recipes using the varget. I don't have any newer reloading manuals.

I personally never shoot amax bullets but most 168gr match bullets will shoot great with about 44gr Varget from what ive seen, not the hottest load but usually very accurate around that powder charge.

I've had good results with RE15 in my 1:12 twist 20" LTR. 40.2 grains is my current pet load with Federal brass and 168 HPBT pills. Have some <1" 200 yd 5-rd groups to show for it. Just FYI This load, although just 0.2 grains above the "min" suggested load in the Lyman data book, is still slightly hotter than the FGMM factory loads. Those must be really light loads...

I used to use Varget like most everyone and found it to be very good. A comp shooter told me he was using N150 and suggested I try it. I listened and have not looked back again. The stuff is pricier but it flat out kicks ass. I now run N160 on my 260 aswell. Vihtavouri really seems to be producing some good S#!T. I am currently building a .223 now and I'm fairly certain I will likely start out with a VV brand powder. Yes I'm a fan boy but I can't argue with the results. My rifles flat out kick butt with this stuff no matter who's driviing them.

Like Glen D. Zediker said in his book: " If your .308 bolt gun doesn't shoot well with IMR 4064, you probably have a gun problem."

Last edited:
In a bolt action rifle the first powder I'd use would be IMR4350 and then go with some 180 grain bullets. Best accuracy I've every had from .308 and 30.06 was with IMR4350 and Sierra 180 grain match bullets.

42.7 gn Varget behind A-Max 168's is my sweet spot. Shooting a supressed Savage Mod 10 w/ 20" barrel. It did not like the hotter loads. Run a OCW test to see what your stick likes.

As stated varget is an all around awesome power. But after messing with power pro 2000 mr. I didn't look back. Picked up 90 fps with no pressure issues at all.
Load is 48.0 2000 mr. 175 smk. 2.236 to ogive. Fgm210m. 2770 out of a GA Crusader with a 1:11.25 twist and a 22" bartlein.

As stated varget is an all around awesome power. But after messing with power pro 2000 mr. I didn't look back. Picked up 90 fps with no pressure issues at all.
Load is 48.0 2000 mr. 175 smk. 2.236 to ogive. Fgm210m. 2770 out of a GA Crusader with a 1:11.25 twist and a 22" bartlein.

+ 1 power pro 2000mr !

I am running strictly ARcomp in my .308s. I still have Varget on hand since it was always my powder of choice. After i began using ARComp powder I have not looked back. Great velocity and temp insensitive. Start load is 41.0 for 175 smk or 178 amax.
I am still finding it on shelves regularly. Picked up two lbs. today to add to my collection.

Same here. Been getting great results with AR-Comp with .308. Way better consistency than both Varget and H4895, in my case.

IMR 4885 & 4064 for my match loads. I played with Varget once but the whole lot thing a few years back turned me off to it. I would like to try some 8208 but I have not seen any reports with anything above 168 grns. I only shoot heavies...

I used to use Varget like most everyone and found it to be very good. A comp shooter told me he was using N150 and suggested I try it. I listened and have not looked back again. The stuff is pricier but it flat out kicks ass. I now run N160 on my 260 aswell. Vihtavouri really seems to be producing some good S#!T. I am currently building a .223 now and I'm fairly certain I will likely start out with a VV brand powder. Yes I'm a fan boy but I can't argue with the results. My rifles flat out kick butt with this stuff no matter who's driviing them.

I have a pound of N550 I've been meaning to try and may do so shortly. The Lyman book indicates that it is the powder they found most accurate behind both the 168 and 175 SMKs. But yes, it is expensive - almost twice that of RE15. I almost *hope* it's not any better :)

What is your load for the 2000MR, 168AMAX and the 178AMAX.

Im using Lapua brass, 42grs RE15 & 47grs CFE223 & 2000MR(168s), 47.5grs 2000MR with 178s(WIN brass). Win brass will hold a bit more, so maybe another couple or so tenths might be in order there. I always shoot 5 shot groups.
IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0446-1.jpg

Last edited:
Like Glen D. Zediker said in his book: " If your .308 bolt gun doesn't shoot well with IMR 4064, you probably have a gun problem."

Id say the same about RE15, Ive got some really good results with IMR4064 as well.

IMR 4885 & 4064 for my match loads. I played with Varget once but the whole lot thing a few years back turned me off to it. I would like to try some 8208 but I have not seen any reports with anything above 168 grns. I only shoot heavies...

If you're shooting heavies 8208 isnt gonna be your best bet. Stick with Varget, AR Comp, RL 15, 4064, 2000MR, etc.

I have a pound of N550 I've been meaning to try and may do so shortly. The Lyman book indicates that it is the powder they found most accurate behind both the 168 and 175 SMKs. But yes, it is expensive - almost twice that of RE15. I almost *hope* it's not any better :)

Im almost sure you will love it. I believe that N550 and N150 are similar but don't quote me. If so try +/- 43.6gr.

I'd be happy if I could find Rl15, Varget, H-4895(my favorite!), or VV N150. As it stands, all I have access to is RL 17 so I'm going to give it a whirl. I've had 8lbs of Benchmark on order from Grafs for over a month now, so maybe it will be here soon. It works well with 155's.

I shoot 168 AMAX.

Varget for my JP Supermatch .308 barrel likes 42.9 grains a lot. 45.2 grains for for velocity works well too.

H4895 43.6 grains it likes it a lot too.

IMR 4064 45.5 grains works just as good, maybe a little better than Varget.

178 AMAX

CFE223 46.8 grains. Like this powder a lot to get the heavier bullet going. Accuracy is sub 1" at 100 yards out of my 16" LR308 same barrel. Waiting summer temps to test, will work up again to see if 46.8 grains CFE shows any pressure problem. May have to reduce load for summer I dunno.

Edit; should mention the brass is Hornady .308 Match. All these loads I used Remington #9 1/2 primer. Will try different types.

Last edited:
My 308 semi-auto project just started as well. I have a Smith&Wesson m&p10, and a Black Rain Ordinance BRO-PG15 Both 18" barrels. I'm gunna try varget, ar-comp, TAC, and VV N-140 to use. The only brass I can find has been lapua.

• Wow
Reactions: Terry of illinois
The ar comp produced the best results for 77gr 5.56 Sierra match kings out of a DD V7 16". Have yet to try the vv n-140 in 5.56.

Since vaget doubled in price and disappeared I've had to try a couple powders I wouldn't normally go with. I've had really good results with imr 4064 and 178 amax's. Also ar-comp has proven amazing with 155 smk's out to 750. I'm running 20" aac-sd. Have a few other powders but these two shot consistent and just as good or better than the Varget. So I might not be going back to the vargay anyhow.

Not sure if I was actually successful in getting these pics uploaded but these are some results I got at 100 yards with a black rain 308 and ar-comp with 168 gr Sierra bthp. I was happy with it. Didn't have enough time to shoot all the loads I had for it before the storm rolled in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 51
I get sub 1/4 groups with h380 with 185+ pills.... YES I said H380, and them suckers are cookin when they come out of the tube. Also had slow, but excellent results with IMR 4064 with 178gr amax's. N-140 is great too but I feel like the extremely inconsistent kernel sizes can produce flyers if not careful while weighing charges. Varget, IMR 4064, and N-140 are extremely accurate powders with all weights of bullets but all 3 produce less than stellar velocities with 175+ Grain projectiles.

I've found when powder is scarce just stack 8-10 primers on top of each other and drop em in the case