• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder for 6.5PRC?

JustMissedIt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2019
    Ohio
    Just wondering what you guys were using for powder. I’m seeing H1000, Retumbo, RL26...... Anybody having good luck with anything else. Those powders are hard to find.

I’m in the same boat (but hey, at least I have brass and primers). It’s a new cartridge for me, but I have scrounged up some Accurate Magpro, Ramshot LRT, and US869. I found reports of each being used successfully in PRC and similar capacity cartridges, so I’m hoping one will work. I also found published data for the 4350 powders and I have SW4350, which is supposed to be the slowest of the group, so I’m going to try that as well. Just waiting on the bushings to get here and then I’ll start testing.

Reactions: JustMissedIt
    RL26 is what I use, Old man uses h1000 and has good luck grouping as well. I believe we decided h1000 was about 100fps slower than rl26 but both grouped really well. I can’t recall exactly FPS but 2900 to 3150 or something in that range.

I had good accuracy with IMR7828 with 140 nosler CC, Velocity was lacking a bit for what i wanted out of buying the PRC, Had to be a bit patient until i found what i wanted/Needed to get the performance out of it. Running Berger 156 EOLs now with RL26.

26 is what I'm working with right now.
    You can get by with 33 but you'll need the absolute heaviest bullets on the market (150gr minimum) and you'll want a long pipe. (26"+)

Anyone seen the 150 smks being stupid finiky?
    They like to be erratic in all three of my 6.5s.
    .5gr change in powder makes a .25" group into a 2" group

I’ve got primers. Thankfully. I’ve got the receiver. Just waiting on the barrel. I went with a 26” Bartlein Carbon wrapped Marksman contour. This will be mainly a hunting rig. But, my curiosity won’t let me leave it alone. Lol. I def want to stretch it’s legs. I’m not in a super hurry for powder. I’m gonna keep my eyes open for some RL26. I’ll run at least 147’s. Maybe even the 153 A tips. Well, if I can find any. This panic buying bullshit is getting old. Quick. Thankfully, I’ve been through it enough to have stocked up long before the pandemic/election/bugaloo/SHTF/GravySeal/MealTeamSix/neckbeard scenario.

brownells had the 153 a-tips yesterday, maybe still today

actually either midsouth or powder valley did also

Could not find the "magnum" powders so I used RE17 with Nosler 129ABLRs for a hunting load.