• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

powder for fireforming

greggrissom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2012
Was wanting to fireform some brass and was wondering what powders everyone else was using. I have some Hodgen Clays powder and wanting to form some 7-08 brass.what are others using and how much?

What caliber brass are you using and what do you want to turn it into? Is this a tight neck conversion?

The brass is excessively over sized 260 lapua brass that I necked up to 7mm. I try to bump my shoulder back .003" from the fired brass. Chamber fired brass measures 1.624" abd I'm trying to bump it back to 1.621". Sometimes the shoulder will get bumped back way too far creating excessive headspace. Thought I would try the Cream of Wheat method and push it back out.

I have used clays with the CoW method in a 280 ackley, just start really low to find a charge.

I would just neck it up and shoot it. I would just check the shoulder angles, I think .260 is just .308 necked down, afterall it used to be 6.5-08 before it became the .260. 7-08 is just .308 necked down .62mm afterall.