• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Powder for multiple pistol cartridges

Jeremybj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Evening to all,

I am looking for 1 powder to load all of my pistol cartridges. I load 380acp, 9mm, 38 special, 357 mag, 40 s&w, and 45acp. 40 is my common reload as most of my pistols are in that caliber.

I know it is a tall order, but I am looking for 1 powder that can load all of them. I have done some research and am looking towards wsf, 231, titegroup, or something else.

Any feedback would be great. If 1 powder just isn't gonna happen, 2 isn't the end of the world, but less is more.

Thanks in advance.

231 is way too fast for your 357 magnum. You won't be able to use full power loads with it. Unique is about the most versatile. 231 will work for everything else though. If you bought 2 powders, 231 or tightgroup and a magnum powder like 296. you would be covered.

Given what you want to do, Unique would be my first recommendation due to its versatility. I don't use much of it anymore as I've given up on the hope of having one do it all powder as I am to the point of buying as much as I am simply using whatever happens to be available at the time now... stupid shortage.

I vote Bullseye is better for pistol only. Unique is useful if you want to load rifle/shotgun/pistol with a single powder, but Bullseye is a faster burn, more appropriate for handguns, especially the small calibers with short barrels.

Bullseye takes less significantly less powder than Unique, and meters better. Unique used to be dirtier, but its gotten cleaner.

Your intended use is also going to be important here.

Since you listed all those calibers, I'm assuming that you're not looking for full power magnum/+p type hunting loads, it sounds to me like you're looking for cheap plinking and load control, buying one powder for economy and supply reasons.

Last edited:
I have used titegroup for all of these and it works, but for full power 357 loads I switched to 2400.

--Daniel

Gunknowledge, you hit the nail on the head, sorry I didn't mention it in my original post.

My pistol loads are for fun/target/maybe competition. For self defense I buy the ammo, just because.

I am hearing a lot of unique, titegroup, and 231. My situation is I can get titegroup locally and it is $20 a pound. If I go with titegroup or unique for everything except 357 mag I should be good?

Last edited:
WIN231 or it's cheaper twin, HP-38 should fit the bill however you won't be getting full power .357 loads with it.

Universal or Unique or 700X. Won't be ideal for all situations but will work in all cartridges you listed. Just for plinking loads I'd go with 700X.