• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder/Primer Storage

Big Bad Ben

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2007
South Burlington, Vermont
I got a question for you guys about powder and primer storage. I've got a couple of 8-lb kegs of Varget, BLC-2, IMR4064 and that sort of thing, in addition to the usual assortment of 1-lb jugs I'm sure we all collect.

Because of work and other commitments I'm going through a phase where I just don't have time to shoot much. Just in case my house ever does catch on fire I've decided I'd rather not have 30lbs of gunpowder and a couple of cases of primers sitting in my basement. (And I'm not sure I'm within the legal limits anyway.)

So for now I've got it boxed up and am storing it out in my garage. That's fine, but I'm wondering what's going to happen to it with the temperature and humidity fluctuations we get here in Vermont. Would I be better off selling off my extra supplies and then buying new when I get more time to shoot? Would a keg of Varget that's sat out in my garage for five years still be worth shooting with?

Bear in mind that the temperature extremes between summer and winter could go between the mid 90s in the summer and somewhere south of zero in the winter.

Thanks,

Ben

Re: Powder/Primer Storage

Store it in a 1 inch thick wooden box against an outer wall of the garage. If you wish, line the wood box with 1/2 or 3/4 in thick dry wall. All for slowing down fire from external sources. Easier for the fire dept to cool down if on an external wall. If you have a dog-pen with a Dog-house away from your main dwelling, put it there. Don't even need to have a dog. Don't use steel...that will confine the internal pressures and conduct heat. If you do store it out by the dog...put a lock on it to keep kids out. JMHO

Humidity shouldn't be an issue since it's in an airtight canister. High temps are much more of a problem than low temps.

I keep my primers stored in their original boxes / cartons but put the whole thing in 20MM ammo cans with desi-paks to keep moisture under control.

Heat is the enemy of both primers and powder.

My larger powder containers like 8 pound "kegs" I have in extra large zip lock bags from a lab supply company. A couple of desi-paks in them as well.

I think my powder box is made from 3/4" plywood with corner brackets.

Locally our powder limit is under 50 pounds in a house. Commercial buildings can have more stored in industrial fire cabinets that are vented to the outside.

If powder has sat outside in an open garage in the heat, I wouldn't use it.

Thanks guys. I think I'll build a big thick locking box. I've been meaning to do that anyway, and this will spur me to get it done.

Maybe if I can build something solid and thick enough I don't need to worry much about the fact that I'm storing it inside my house? I could build a footlocker out of double thicknesses of 3/4" plywood with a tightly secured top. Would it be reasonable to assume that powder inside such a box could survive a house fire without going off?

The sheetrock idea sounds good too. It wouldn't have to be a super great box after all. And if I could then keep it safely inside the house I wouldn't have to worry about the heat. (My basement never gets much above sixty-eight or so.

Ben

Victor,
I respect your oppinion, but some of us don't have the luxury of a basement to keep our reloading supplies in. The water table here is to high for basements unless you want a lower level swimming pool I guess.
My powder has set outside for a couple of years in a non-heated/cooled garage where the temps get up to over 90 degrees in the summer. I keep the canisters in ammo cans with dessicant and the kegs in plastic storage boxes.
So far I haven't noticed any degradation of burn rate or extreme spreads in chrono'd velocities.
Believe me, If I could have a basement I would, but if all you got is a garage, then I would put it in sealed containers (plastic or wood for pressure reasons in case of a fire) with dessicants if you have high humidity. Watch your standard loads with a chrony and see if you start noticing changes in the powder.
Just my 2 cents,
madd0c

Madd0c,

Your opinion is yours to state. I agree some of us have more equipment than we know what to do with. I don't have a basement either. I have a 30 X 50 concrete building that's zoned commercial.

The statement about heat affecting powders and primers is fact. You can check with any powder company or chemist and they will tell you the same thing. MOST propellant powder starts to degrade over 85*F How long a given powder will take that temperature before it starts to show signs when shot across a chronograph, I cannot tell you.

When we lived in Houston I kept the powder and primers in the bottom of my closet in ammo cans. But I didn't have but a small amount. You do what you have to do.

Heavy and thick is good, but give it a "weak wall", preferably facing to the outside of the house so that an internal event can pop the wall off without confining it to a detonation.

I had thought about getting an old refrigerator from one of these used appliance places that the motors gone out on but still has good door seals. I figured I could put it out in the barn with the primers in the freezer part and powder down below, and if there was an internal uh-oh it would just open the door. I dont know how hot a frij would get internally in the summer in a drafty old barn but I didnt figure it would be that bad as long as its in the shade. I had planned on keeping just enough powder/primer at the house to load with and a good inventory system so I could just open it get what I need and shut it quickly so as to not srew around with the internal temp.

I have a basement I have my reloading room in an keep all my components. Its all concrete (floor + walls) no carpet. It seems to stay nice and cool down there even in the summer.

I also run a dehumidifier all year round down there to keep the moisture down.

I think this is a very good enviroment to store primers and powder for long periods of time.

Same here, if you store it correctly in the basement there will be no issues. I would not store powder or primers outdoors ever . just my 2 cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a basement I have my reloading room in an keep all my components. Its all concrete (floor + walls) no carpet. It seems to stay nice and cool down there even in the summer.

I also run a dehumidifier all year round down there to keep the moisture down.

I think this is a very good enviroment to store primers and powder for long periods of time. </div></div>

Thanks guys. I think I'm off to Lowes to get some plywood and perhaps a little drywall. I've been meaning to do this for years and just haven't gotten around to it.

Ben

That's a good point. Would an old refrigerator be good protection against your powder and primers cooking off in the event of a house fire? I might just be able to go grab an old one of those cheaper than buying $40 sheets of plywood to make my box. I hadn't thought of that.

Ben

I heard somewhere "Cant remember where right now" a fireman was talking about putting out a house fire and when it was all done they would check the homes refrigerator and freezer and the food would still be cold, I reckon theres alot of insulation in one of those things. Maybe some fireman could chime in and give us a take on that. I figured if that was true it would be a good place for storage even if it aint running. I had a buddy give me an old one that he was throwing away, you could probably pick one up for next to nothing if some one was just trying to get rid of it.

Again...put a lock on it for the kids. They might think "cold drinks" with a used fridge. The used fridges also make good smokers when a separate firebox is used.