• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder thrower

Bud6mm

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2013
Maybee mi
I am looking at getting a powder thrower, but I can't afford a Prometheus and can't justify it yet. I was looking at the Redding match grade 3br and the lr-1000 and was looking for input from people that have used them or have suggestions on other makes and models. Any help would be great. Thanks

Harrel Powder Droppers. you will not find a finer manual powder dispenser. Really no need to drop under and trickle with these things.

I really like my Redding 3BR , have the universal meter & the pistol micro meter for it. It is very consistent w/most powders.
Only time I get inconsistencies is when using cylindrical powder like AR Comp, but from what I've seen most throwers have this issue.

Honestly, they're all the same. The Harrels are nice and shiny and precisely made but I've not seen any evidence that they are more consistent than a run of the mill RCBS. Considering how they all work in basically the same way, this is not terribly surprising.

Honestly, they're all the same. The Harrels are nice and shiny and precisely made but I've not seen any evidence that they are more consistent than a run of the mill RCBS. Considering how they all work in basically the same way, this is not terribly surprising.
Agreed. I had Harrell's best measure. It is definately the finest measure out there, but didnt throw any more accurately as my RCBS with baffle and micro stem.

I have foregone throwers and switched to the charge master, much more accurate and consistent, takes longer to dispense but I am planning to get a second one so I can cut down the charge time in my reloading routine.

Really depends on the type of powder you'll be throwing. Some measures work better with finer powders, some work better with large grain powders...hence why folks tend to have several powder measures. Consistent technique is key as well; it only works as well as the dummy pulling the handle.

Harrels, Lee, Belding & Mull and RCBS here...

Last edited:
Really depends on the type of powder you'll be throwing. Some measures work better with finer powders, some work better with large grain powders...hence why folks tend to have several powder measures. Consistent technique is key as well; it only works has well as the dummy pulling the handle.

Harrels, Lee, Belding & Mull and RCBS here...

Best answer yet - take 8208 for example, works great with a manual thrower, with a progressive charge bar, etc.... take Varget and you will get less consistent charges based on how the kernels fall and geometrically take up space. 7828 SSC is better in a thrower but not as good as 8208. It's really all about the geometry of the powder, how much is in the vessel (gravity does play a part) and like MarinePMI said - how consistent the dummy pulling the handle is.

You can't go wrong with a Chargemaster (or a pair) and you will NEVER justify a Prometheus until you buy it, then you can't live without it. Trust me - I love mine and couldn't think about loading without it but it does hurt to buy at first but that hurt doesn't last long until you turn into a giddy kid on Christmas morning.

For volumetric dispenser..Harrells or Neil Jones. I prefer the latter as in my hand, it is just a touch smoother.

Funny both of my Prometheus's have RCBS UniFlo powder throws on them, the Gen 1 was stock and the Gen 2 is slightly modified.

At my Club in Denton TEXAS the BR guys almost all use Harrels, and the few really smart ones say the Redding BR3 is just as good but perfer the adjustments of the Harrels.

The adjustments, and the ability to repeat them, is what the Harrells and Neil Jones have over the others. They are also much smoother, and of course more expensive. My Dillon and RCBS are about as accurate. The Lee is suppost to throw stick powder aw well or better than any. Technique is very important with any measure, and all will throw better with a little practice from the operator. Lightman