• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder types

mhptrooper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2010
I am just getting back into reloading, I did years ago and only did 30-06...now I'm wanting to make up some .223, .40, 9mm, and .300 WM...I don't know the difference in the types of powder (ball, stick, flake, etc...) I figure this will help me decide which powder to use for each caliber--which ones dispense the best in my equipment (RCBS Chargemaster & Redding 3BR) Thanks!

Re: Powder types

Most ball powders are also very dirty when fired. Makers of ball type powders vary the burn rate by how much or how little of coatings they put on it. The coatings don't just catch on fire and burn away. The different coatings have to reach a certain temperature to burn. Some of it does and some doesn't.

While Winchester powders are probably among the easiest to meter, it is also just about the dirtiest powder out there. It's also one of the cheapest to buy.

While I prefer the IMR family of powders, like stated above the extruded powders are a little more difficult to meter EXACTLY.

It would be difficult to say which is the cleanest as far as that goes. I would think Vihtavouri is the cleanest with IMR series closely behind.

Hodgdon powders are some of the funniest to define. They are wonderful powders. But some foul more or less depending on the temperature and humidity.

Since it has been a while for you, and you are choosing to load different calibers than before, get yourself a new copy of Lyman's Centerfire Handloading Manual. I believe it's the 49th edition. Their getting started and safety chapters are very good. It also has at least 3 times the USABLE data that any 2 or 3 other manuals.

Good luck.

is there any link that anybody knows of that has a chart with the powder types and the brands? ...Thinking of using varget for my .223, and blue dot (i think that's the name) for my .40 and 9mm...using a redding 3br measure...Thanks!

go to Hodgdon.com and click on the reload center and there is pistol and rifle under the menus that should help you out a little. As for the Varget my .223 seems to like it really well.

Mhptrooper,
The Lyman’s Manual That Victor referred breaks down every manufacturers
Powder by Shape, Single or double base and I think burn rate as well as caliber
recommendations. it is a really nice reference piece.
I know of nothing online that is all compiled together though.
HTH

I use the Lyman reloading manual myself,its what came with my reloading kit when i got started and it names many different powders you can use along with different bullet combos. I have found it really useful. As with using Varget for 223, that what I use and have found it to work well under different weather conditions with no misfires and it burns pretty clean. For loading my 9mm, 38, 40, 45, I have used Alliant's Unique and Hogdedon's HP-38. Both work well for me but the HP-38 does not seem to meter as smoothly as the Unique but it does burn a little cleaner. Hope this helps.

Thanks SO much for the help-I'll have to see about one of those Lyman books-I was using a Sierra and a Hornady (that's the kind of bullets I'm loading) but the chart would definitely be helpful...& the unique powder-I just had a buddy tell me about it-I'm thinking that's what I will change over to! This site has been invaluable to helping me get back into reloading, optics selection, any questions!