• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder Volume Sanity Check

planalpha

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2010
PNW
Hi experts-
I just loaded up my first batch of .308 Winchester with Reloder 15 working up from the minimum to 45.7 grains and it damn near fills the case up to the shoulder. I've weighed it on 2 different scales and I'm sure it's perfect but wanted to check with you all to see if that has been your experience as well.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Powder Volume Sanity Check

Most "experts" say that at least a 80% fill is advantagous to getting a good burn on the powder collumn. A lot of my loads are "compressed" loads where the bullet mashes the powder down when it's seated.

You didn't mention the bullet you were loading it with.

What is your experience level handloading?

Victor-
I'm using a Lupua 155 Scenar seated at 2.830. I've actually been handloading for a couple of years for my 9mm and 556 on a 650XL but for the LR gun I'm using a Lee single stage press. Since this is my first batch I'm just being overly cautious I guess since I'm used to small cases that really looks like a lot of powder.
smile.gif

Thanks!

Filling the cases to the shoulder is a usual thing in .308 cases depending on the powder and load. Heck alot of my loads are like victors and are even into the neck a little bit.

It is alot different than loading for handgun loads where double charges are possible. I am sure if you have been loading for the 223/556 then your charges were at the base of the neck.

Just be sure of your scale and sure of your powder and load away. If in doubt a set of check weights is an invaluable investment for peace of mind. (I have these and use them to occasionally check my chargemaster http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=212586)

madd0c

Keep in mind that the 154gr Scenar is actually a touch longer than a S175MK... so yes, you may run into compression issues and should work up the load accordingly.

Awesome! Sounds like all is well. With that amount of powder I just wanted to be extra sure. I did powder trickle on to a beam scale and validated the beam scale with my digital scale.
/belt and suspenders...

Thanks again, experts!
Very much appreciated.

Ive gone all the way to 46.9gr of RL15 with 155 Scenars. You are nowhere near max!