• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing powdercoating?

mattwin7

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2009
kcmo
has anyone ever powder coated ar15 magazines? i have a buddy that will powdercoat for me for free and i would like to powdercoat some old worn ar magazines and a old 22. has anyone done this before? how does it hold up to solvents? will it cover my reg numbers? thanks

Re: powdercoating?

I had friends of mine clean their motorcycle rims w/ Brakleen; they are powdercoated and didn't fare too well! Do yourself a favor; go to the auto parts store like Advance Auto (no I don't work for them)
grin.gif
and get the Duplicolor high temp ceramic header paint. I used it on my Surefire suppressor. Follow instructions; it's about as tuff as you can get! Good up to 1800 degrees F. It matches the Surefire finish exactly! The reason I asked color is that it only comes in black and orange; at least that is all I could find. I tried Brownells Moly finishes, but they roasted right up on FA! BTW it won't cover ser# even after 5 or 6 coats.

I used some High Temp paint from Rust-Oleum and solvents attacked it fairly fast. Some I used years ago from somebody else held up very well. So...try the Duplicolor, spray them, remove the springs and followers of course, and cure them in the oven at 350 to 400 degrees.

There are as many different types of Powdercoating as there are paints (almost), so it would all depend on the type used. It could be anything from poor to as good as any coating you could apply. It would also be very hard to get an even coat INSIDE the mag bodies.

well the guy doing it is a professional. he has a shop that has been in business for years but he has never done magazines and only a few guns but the powder would probably(just guessing) the typicall coat that is on stuff like iron frames and rims. ive seen his work-its awesome what im trying to figure out is does anyone think the powdercoat would be to thick to work on the mag and how would it hold up to solvents on the 22

ps i tried the camo flat spraypaint from walmart that is supposed to stick to anything and it scratched off with a fingernail(i sanded them to bare metal too)

Just watch the thickness of the powder coat. You may have a tolerance issue in the mag well.

I second that.Film build on powder is huge.DURACOAT is an excellent product and film build will not be an issue.It wears like a pigs nose.

I powdercoated for a few years and this is one case where I wouldn't do it. Although it will withstand scratches it will not stand up to solvents. I would strongly recommend DuraCoat here.