• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Practice shooting

[email protected]

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2012
Rochester, NY
I'm 14 and have been shooting for 4 years. I love to shoot and recently bought a Remington 700 and plan to learn to group shots at farther ranges than i can now. I want to go into the Marine as a Scout Sniper and was looking for tip on shooting better. I am a decent shot as of right now but would like to improve. Any suggestions?

Re: Practice shooting

Hang around here for a while like me. I've learned a lot from reading other people's questions and answers.

When you go to shoot, practice one fundamental at a time. It helps to make a list. Pictures help to demonstrate things such as straight behind rifle, trigger finger position, etc. And there many free pics on here besides ones in the online training. But if you have the money, do the training.

Also, .22lr is probably one of the fastest ways to help improve. You can burn hundreds or rounds practicing trigger control and breathing, sight pic and parallax adjustment, and especially reading the wind.

Finally, keep track of your targets once in a while. That way you can keep a record of how you have improved. Analysis of target may also help show areas of error. And keep a log book.

Hope this helps.

SJ is right, 22lr all the way. Affordable practice, little recoil will help keep you from getting recoil shy. Practical for hunting small game as well. Win, win , win situation there.

You have a 700, so I would suggest learning to dry fire very often. Do more dry fire than live fire with it.

When you get out to shoot, do the dot drill targets. They are excellent for practice.

Realize that the shooting portion of being a sniper plays a small role in the actual job.

I do often use my .22 do shoot but that doesnt teach me much about windage and elevation which I am trying to learn. I'm starting to reload with a relative and experiment with different load, any recomendations on that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: x SNIPER x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do often use my .22 do shoot but that doesnt teach me much about windage and elevation which I am trying to learn.</div></div>

A .22 at 100 yards will have similar wind drift to a .308 at 300 yards. Shooting .22's is the only time I max out my elevation turrets regularly. A decent .22 at extended ranges (100-400 yards) will teach you more about windage and elevation than any centerfire cartridge.

One of the best things about a .22 is that you don't need a long range for it to make you look you have no idea what your doing. 200yds on a gusty day is more than enough.

Learn range estimation, land nav, stalking and observation.
Old school land nav, map and compass, it smokes allot of people, learn it and practice it, it is a skill that diminishes, if you're good at it, it will set you apart.
Don't stalk people, it may well get you in trouble, just pratice moving thru terrain quietly, and with minimal enviromental disturbance. Try hunting, if that's an option and interest, don't do it just to train, if you keep your shots short you'll have to be stealthy. If not hunting try wildlife photography, same stalking skills are involved.
Learn to be very attentive/observant, car or anything else, goes by, try to get the color, make, model, plate number, distinguishing marks/items, speed and direction, instead of just it was blue.

Also FYI the services are not what they once were, they don't take screw ups and they don't give marginal characters MOSs that allow for independent thought. No crime, especially drug an alcohol related, or violent, they probably won't even talk to you. Keep your grades up, it matters.

If you can, try shooting your .22 at 200 yards. It's very challenging to read the wind. Use the A21 target (1.5"-X, 4"-10 ring). Go shoot some matches, whatever you like, small bore, HiPower, Mid-Range. Nothing like a little friendly competition to make it interesting.

Pick up all those spent cases you just shot with your .22 and place them back up as targets. Depending what cal your 700 is place those 22 cases out at 100 and pick them off.

Also like most say shoot the crap out of that 22 and not just close ranges. When 300 yards with a 22 are boring to you with first round hits then you should be pretty dang good shot. Go out and shoot when the wind is blowing will always test your skills and always fun.

I shoot just a little over 1,000 rounds of 22LR a month.

As mentioned before sniper is not just shooting. Don't skimp on your math skills either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: x SNIPER x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then what else should I practice? I want to make sure I am ready and know as much as possible when I'm old enough to join </div></div>

Learn the fundamentals. Don't worry so much about what you need to know, you'll have plenty of time for that when you get there. Like I said, learn the fundamentals and enjoy being a kid. For heavens sake, you have the rest of your life to learn what they are going to teach you!!

Great advice. Keep it as cheap as you can when first learning and just practice, practice, practice. Windy days are certainly challenging and more fun. 22LR good caliber to start with, since in most places hard to find ranges over 200 yards. Ask questions of most other shooters around you. I have found most are friendly and very willing to give advice and help and most will let you shoot a few rounds of whatever they're shooting, therefore allowing you to try many different calibers and rifle set ups. Soak it all in and be respectful. Don't try to impress by being a hotshot know-it-all. That will turn most people off. Most people at the rifle range are out to have fun and improve their own skills. Most of all have fun.

Just dont practice to say you practice. Get Quality practice in.

If being a Marine sniper is your goal (not saying you will not change your mind down the road), keep that in mind at everything you do. It will help keep you on the right path. Like they said in the previous post stay out of trouble.

I am not a Sniper, but I had a SOI Instructor that is a Sniper and he had a big impact on me and my out look at snipers. Snipers have my upmost respect. He probably answered a couple hundred questions about differant things from land Nav to wind reading and everything under the sun. He was very knowledgeable. Like jerseymike said Snipers are not just shooters.

If you dont feel comfortable asking on a public forum pick someone and PM him. I ask questions and ask for opinions all the time in PM's to someone who is a Marine Sniper.

Thanks for all the ideas and help, what i dont get is some people are saying you must be selected and others say tell your officer. which is it do you need to be picked even to get into sniper school?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: x SNIPER x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the ideas and help, what i dont get is some people are saying you must be selected and others say tell your officer. which is it do you need to be picked even to get into sniper school?</div></div>

Assuming that you meet all of the requisite qualifications (including medical, physical, and security clearance screening) your supervisors need to believe that you have what it takes to succeed and advance and that you are a good fit. Also, and unfortunately, timing plays a role too, as your unit may need someone with your skill set for an upcoming event.

Keep focused on what you what to achieve because your willpower is the strongest driver in realizing your goals.

Dude...ya got 'stars' in ya eyes! Best thing for you to do is find an old Scout/Sniper Team Member and let him advise you about ya wants and desires because the chances of you making it are two...slim and none! And the slim and none doesn't mean that you won't be qualified; rather there's a whole bunch of politics that goes into who makes it or who doesn't! Just ONE...ONE...team member can vote against you coming on the squad and you've had it! If you're thinking about a military career....learn a trade while you're in...like a turbine aircraft mechanic...something that will make you a living when the 'stars' leave ya eyes! Ain't much call out here in the real world for zapping folks with a rifle from 1200 yards!