• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Photos Prairie dog Slayer!

pdogsbeware

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2011
Colorado/Minnesota
My prairie dog slayer.
Savage action with accu-trigger,
24in Lothar-Walther barrel (love it)
22-250, 55gr v-max at 3728fps with 37.5gr Varget
Choate stock, got for free, actually not bad! Filled the barrel channel and stock with lead shot, rifle weighs 23 lbs! You can watch your hits through the scope up to 18x.
Nikon Monarch 6-24 with homemade ballistic turrets (masking tape wrapped around turret with ranges marked with sharpee ha)
My fancy dancy shooting bench. (5 foot banquet table from lowes)
Altogether, rifle, barrel, scope, 2 cans of spray paint...cost a hell of a lot less than you'd think! As soon as I figure how to take a screen grab off a video I'll show some hits on prairie dogs through the scope.
And that 22-250 throws the dogs up in the air out to 400 or so, after that it just sorta pushes them off the mound. I know it's not tactical or fancy like some of your guys' guns that I drool over ha...but for what I use it for I didn't need it to be.

Re: Prairie dog Slayer!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice!

Don't let Tuscon Dave see that stock....</div></div>

haha in a bad way or good?

that tiger stripe paint job is awesome...looks great... 23lbs
shocked.gif
that must get heavy. for prairie dog hunting do you have to move around a lot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AWZ1287</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that tiger stripe paint job is awesome...looks great... 23lbs
shocked.gif
that must get heavy. for prairie dog hunting do you have to move around a lot?</div></div>

Thanks! Wal mart spray paint all the way! ha And it does get heavy, but you can see in the background the pickup truck, this is the farthest I ever get from it. I put wheels on the bench so I just pile everything on there and toss the rifle on my shoulder when I do have to move. But it's never far, those dogs aren't exactly an elusive creature that you need to chase haha I usually don't move more than 100yds at a time or so, so it's manageable. The benefit of the weight in reduced recoil when you fire 3 or 4 hundred rounds a day outweighs the inconvenience it is to carry around.

Dakota Mike: How is the pheasant population with all the rain you guys got this year?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The benefit of the weight in reduced recoil when you fire 3 or 4 hundred rounds a day outweighs the inconvenience it is to carry around.</div></div>

3 or 400 hundred rounds a day? Man you either have some big towns all to yourself or you just take a lot of shots.

350 rounds/ 8 hours (let's just say)=43.75 shots an hour or roughly one shot every minute and a half for 8 straight hours. I'm not trying to be a dick or call you out I'm just curious how your barrel holds up to that kind of usage.

Nah it's fine man, I understand. And yes I do take alot of shots! haha I only get to go there once, sometimes twice a year, so I get as much shooting in as I can, while I can! It's such a blast! I don't worry about barrel heat or pacing my shots, So yes I shoot quite a bit at the pesky bastards that seem to dodge my rounds like the matrix guys ha Sometimes as fast as I can cycle the bolt. Yes my barrel gets damn HOT and yes I know that reduces its life, but I still get 3 thousand rounds or more acceptable accuracy out of a barrel before it starts to drop off, and even then not by much. I was actually amazed how well they hold up to the abuse, to tell you the truth. I try to keep it down to 2 rounds a minute, which I'm sure by your name and location you've shot some pdogs and you know its hard to stay off the trigger for that long even! That comes out to 3 hours shooting a day (not including Mt. dew breaks, lunch breaks, driving to other towns, etc.)

My shooting buddies give me crap all the time for letting my barrel get so hot. My logic is this: I only get 4 or 5 days out of the year I have a chance to shoot dogs, might as well have fun. I have the other 51 weeks out of the year to get a new barrel and work up a load. New barrel is $300. Say I only get 2 years out of a barrel. That's $150 per year to shoot my little heart out! How much does a trip to go elk or muley hunting cost where you only get to shoot once...but to each his own.

Sorry I kinda rambled, hope I explained what you wanted to know though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nah it's fine man, I understand. And yes I do take alot of shots! haha I only get to go there once, sometimes twice a year, so I get as much shooting in as I can, while I can! It's such a blast! I don't worry about barrel heat or pacing my shots, So yes I shoot quite a bit at the pesky bastards that seem to dodge my rounds like the matrix guys ha Sometimes as fast as I can cycle the bolt. Yes my barrel gets damn HOT and yes I know that reduces its life, but I still get 3 thousand rounds or more acceptable accuracy out of a barrel before it starts to drop off, and even then not by much. I was actually amazed how well they hold up to the abuse, to tell you the truth. I try to keep it down to 2 rounds a minute, which I'm sure by your name and location you've shot some pdogs and you know its hard to stay off the trigger for that long even! That comes out to 3 hours shooting a day (not including Mt. dew breaks, lunch breaks, driving to other towns, etc.)

My shooting buddies give me crap all the time for letting my barrel get so hot. My logic is this: I only get 4 or 5 days out of the year I have a chance to shoot dogs, might as well have fun. I have the other 51 weeks out of the year to get a new barrel and work up a load. New barrel is $300. Say I only get 2 years out of a barrel. That's $150 per year to shoot my little heart out! How much does a trip to go elk or muley hunting cost where you only get to shoot once...but to each his own.

Sorry I kinda rambled, hope I explained what you wanted to know though
</div></div>

Haha I understand. I am fortunate enough to have about 250+ acres of them on my cousins ranch that I live on so I shoot them anywhere from 1-7 days a week during the summer and only rarely go through 100 rounds in an outing. I usually only take 50 rounds and probably average %80-90 kills but dont usually stretch much past 275 yards either. I also have access to an additional 2000 or so acres spread out around the county that I can shoot on so I guess that's why it seem like a lot of shooting for one day to me. In your case I can understand why you shoot so much. If you ever make it this way shoot me a pm and we can go tear some shit up. Here is a link to a thread about the time I took Jonaddis84 and Scott Cousinio from Ohio here on the hide out tore it up this past June.

In a completely non-homosexual way, I think we'd get along great haha It's been a while since I've heard that term, "tear shit up". I live in a city now and freakin hate it! People here don't know how to have fun!
Sounds like those guys had a great time and got addicted to watching the dogs fly! I actually drive through Sundance on my way to ND, If nothing else I'll make a detour over your way next summer and buy you a beer. I appreciate the invite.

If you are on I-90 and drive through Sundance then you should have come through Gillette unless you come from CO a different way. There is a decent little p dog town just before Sundance that I tried out a couple of weeks ago so if you bring your gun you could shoot a few on the way. Only about 10 min off the interstate as well.

The pheasants are way down this year. They say the average is about 46% down this year. I think it's higher than that and have not seen very many this summer.

Where do you find P Dogs towns? I live in MN a month a year and I've always wanted to go out and slay some dogs. Problem is, we don't have any in MN...

Yeah MN doesn't have any pdogs, you have to go out west somewhere. North or south dakota, and you have to get west of the missouri river. Just about anywhere you go the farmers and ranchers are going to be friendly about it, just start knocking on doors if you see any in their fields, 99% of the time if your nice and polite they will let you shoot.

Where in MN do you stay for that month a year?