• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pre-fit Barrels for Defiance?

mboswell17

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2017
    Austin
    Curious if anyone knows if a Pre-fit proof barrel for a ruckus will work with a deviant hunter? I could save a lot of money going the pre-fit route but can only seem to find the deviant for sale and curious if it would work or if a smith could make a minor alteration to get one to fit?

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
    Defiance will tell you a gunsmith will need to properly measure and check headspace. If you want I can spin you up a barrel and I always give the customer their dimensions for headspace and thread pitch diameter etc. I keep those dimensions in my notebook so you can order barrels without having to send the action in. Let me know if I can help you.

Reactions: BravoSierra66
    Defiance will tell you a gunsmith will need to properly measure and check headspace. If you want I can spin you up a barrel and I always give the customer their dimensions for headspace and thread pitch diameter etc. I keep those dimensions in my notebook so you can order barrels without having to send the action in. Let me know if I can help you.
    I appreciate it but would be looking to go with a proof pre-fit and have a line on a couple. basically would save me about $400 in smith work if I could go this route

I appreciate it but would be looking to go with a proof pre-fit and have a line on a couple. basically would save me about $400 in smith work if I could go this route
    You should check my prices. I think they're very competitive. Lilja #8 prefit $680, Preferred Sendero $490. I have 6 & 6.5mm blanks in stock. www.fishertandc.com

I appreciate it but wanting to go Proof carbon on this one
    Ive been screwing proof prefits to deviants, and they’ve been working just fine(headspace and index). So I called them to see for myself. Sure as shit, my answer above was wrong. They may fit, but they are not guaranteed headspace.

The Ruckus, Tenacity, and AnTi are all the same. Get yourself on a list at altus or Bugholes and snag a Ruckus.

Patience Grasshopper!
    I don't have much of that lol and I already have another deviant hunter on my 300wm so am good with the idea of having matching actions on both guns. Also my smith is cutting me a break so really only an additional $275-$300

I was in this same situation a couple months ago. I had a Deviant Tactical and wanted another barrel. I know anted to go the prefit route to have multiple barrels and calibers. I ended up selling my barreled Deviant to someone and bought a Terminus Zeus, hand thread. I looked at all kinds of prefit barrels and smiths. I decided to go with Straight Jacket Armory. I talked to the owner and super nice. Really helped. I didn’t want to get rid of the action but I felt It was time for me to evolve.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
    Get a Defiance anTI if it’s going on a hunting build.

Get a Defiance anTI if it’s going on a hunting build.
    Definitely more of a hunting rig but will do steel as well. Couldn’t find any anti actions either..

Actually have a Curtis axiom hybrid that I was gonna use but bolt lift is heavier than I’m used to with the 60 throw and 3 lug.

Definitely more of a hunting rig but will do steel as well. Couldn’t find any anti actions either..

Actually have a Curtis axiom hybrid that I was gonna use but bolt lift is heavier than I’m used to with the 60 throw and 3 lug.
    What configuration do you need? Long /short, magnum, right hand, etc?

spending that kind of money I’d really try to find a anTI or just wait a few months ... I’ve got 2 anTIs and I live in Canada so they’re definitely out there.

@Supersubes Right hand, short, mag bolt face... work with BDL hinged floorplate

and @st1650 is there something you don’t like about the deviants?
    Deviants are great action but the anTIs are lighter and have the advantages of prefit barrels which for long term ... quite a bit of an advantage if you plan to shoot a lot and swap barrels.
    Otherwise they’re very similar.

I recommend waiting to buy the action that you want and that fits the role you need it to fill. Otherwise you’ll end up spending more money in the long run. I say this knowing I won’t take me own advice.

If you want a top notch hunting rifle action that will take prefits, check out Seekins. You can get the whole rifle for like $1,800.

Reactions: Bulldogce
    After using quite a few I have grown to love defiance actions and proof barrels. I went ahead and ordered a defiance deviant Hunter in black nitride. More than I wanted to spend but know I’m getting something I love since I have the same action in my 300wm

Was also told by some top smiths that you have to watch prE-fits as all barrels have a little cock to them. You want that at 12 or 6 o’clock and with a pre-fit you can’t control that and have to hope you get a straight barrel or that the cock is up and down rather than left of right

so for only $275 more on the barrel cost and work side I justified it in my head haha

3B4D64ED-393B-4A68-A5FD-0F2A4CA27591.jpeg
    08DED215-66F8-4B9B-9212-F970F07E80B0.jpeg
    BAE9C035-6687-4C3B-819E-CE2D1D66478C.jpeg

Ive been screwing proof prefits to deviants, and they’ve been working just fine(headspace and index). So I called them to see for myself. Sure as shit, my answer above was wrong. They may fit, but they are not guaranteed headspace.

The Ruckus, Tenacity, and AnTi are all the same. Get yourself on a list at altus or Bugholes and snag a Ruckus.

There's apparently still enough variance between a Ruckus & AnTi for the barrel to not index correctly 100% of the time.

My Ruckus 6.5PRC barrel from Ruckus doesn't index correctly on my AnTi. Proof says that's common.
    The headspace is fine though.

There's apparently still enough variance between a Ruckus & AnTi for the barrel to not index correctly 100% of the time.

My Ruckus 6.5PRC barrel from Ruckus doesn't index correctly on my AnTi. Proof says that's common.

How can you check the indexing ?

How can you check the indexing ?

I'm simply referring to the indexing of the markings on the tenon; the "PROOF" logo & "6.5 PRC" text end up below the stock line.

PROOF says they're supposed to end at 3 o'clock (or 9 depending on direction you're facing), but they don't guarantee.

Reactions: st1650
    I'm simply referring to the indexing of the markings on the tenon; the "PROOF" logo & "6.5 PRC" text end up below the stock line.

PROOF says they're supposed to end at 3 o'clock (or 9 depending on direction you're facing), but they don't guarantee.

Oh I get it now, my prefit Benchmade is exactly at 3 o'clock just above the stock line, I'll have to check my Southern Precision Bartlein - would it affect accuracy otherwise ?

Oh I get it now, my prefit Benchmade is exactly at 3 o'clock just above the stock line, I'll have to check my Southern Precision Bartlein - would it affect accuracy otherwise ?

My understanding from PROOF, no it won't affect anything.

Though I was a little disappointed as I had to have the barrel re-marked at additional cost.

Interesting. I have an anti and a stack of proof barrel here now. I’ll check it out.