• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pre-Fit Barrels for Kelbly's

Ian A. Kelbly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2009
OH-IO
I see this a lot now and that is people asking for pre-fit barrels. Kelbly's has held our headspace tolerance within .001" since the early 90's. Our actions have always had interchangeable "pre-fit" barrels for them. Our dealers all over the world can stock barrels chambered by us, or they can cut any blank with our dimensions provided on our website to make a pre-fit. You have NEVER had to send a Kelbly action into Kelbly's for chambering, we have always provided pre-fits.

I'm just putting this out there because we constantly get left out of the pre-fit talk but have held headspace within .001" since our first CNC was set in 1992.

We hope everyone has a great 2020!

I have an atlas and am very pleased with it. However, i have often wondered why they seem to be the only custom action that nobody really advertises prefits for?

I have an atlas and am very pleased with it. However, i have often wondered why they seem to be the only custom action that nobody really advertises prefits for?

I honestly don't know. We keep some Marksman contour Krieger blanks in stock in 6mm, .30 cal, 6.5mm, .338 cal, and .22 cal in stock so we can deliver barrels to you in about 2-3 weeks. We would love more manufacturers to stock pre fits and we have had discussions with quite a few pre fit makers to stock them.

Hi Ian what is the lead time right now for long Atlas Tactical with mag bolt face?

Love my 6.5CM NYX rifle so much I'll be looking someday. When I was testing loads it was hard to chose they all look good. 130, 140, hybrid, vld, eld. went with ELD (cheaper).

41.7 gn H4350
140 gn eld -.017
lapua sr brass
br4
2809 fps
sd 1.4 es 4

Reactions: Ian A. Kelbly
Update on my barrels, they both shoot very well. 6mmBRA, Lapua brass, 31.3gr Varget, CCI450, 107SMK. 2920fps, es 12, SD 5.

One unexpected benefit, Kelbly’s has been Nitriding their barrels, and the last two have been nitrided. They seem to break in easier (40 rounds) and clean much easier (a few patches and a nylon brush). I’m a believer. Highly recommended!

Great actions, pre-fit barrels, nitriding, and top-shelf accuracy. Tough combination to beat.

Reactions: Ian A. Kelbly
Update on my barrels, they both shoot very well. 6mmBRA, Lapua brass, 31.3gr Varget, CCI450, 107SMK. 2920fps, es 12, SD 5.

One unexpected benefit, Kelbly’s has been Nitriding their barrels, and the last two have been nitrided. They seem to break in easier (40 rounds) and clean much easier (a few patches and a nylon brush). I’m a believer. Highly recommended!

Great actions, pre-fit barrels, nitriding, and top-shelf accuracy. Tough combination to beat.
Nitride?? Does anyone else nitride precision rifle barrels?

Reactions: Kamerad
Nitride?? Does anyone else nitride precision rifle barrels?
Steyr rifles are nitrided, they call it ‘Mannox’. I am interested in finding Tikka barrels that are nitrided, so I echo the question.

I use prefits on my kelblys. No issues and they hammer. Most underrated action in the game.

Do you get your prefits from Kelblys or somewhere else? Would love to go with an Atlas tactical next rifle build, just need more options for barrels.

If that doesn't make any sense, then I should state I've never had to order a barrel for a bolt gun...so while I understand most of my options, I'm not completely positive on all the options for this action.

I have a Savage action now so I can get Criterion and Shilen Prefits from Northland Shooters for around $400ish chambered.... Is my only option with these actions to get a blank then have it chambered? I'm not a competitor so as much as I'd love a Bartlein, its hard to throw $850 at a barrel...

Last edited:
Last month I drop shipped a barrel from bugholes and they had it chambered, cerakoted and shipped within a week of receiving it. Kelbly's will be getting all my prefit business for my atlas tac actions going forward

I purchased my atlas tac a year and a half ago and had the rifle finished 3rd quarter last year and had an issue with the extractor (my fault on super high pressure load) and kelbly stood behind there stuff and supplied me with a new extractor!! On top of that, there action with great features, great price, buttery smooth and the option for pre-fits, I firmly believe it is the best bang for your buck action on the market!! I feel like your getting an action 1.5 times it’s price point!!

I’ve been trying to narrow down which prefit barrel to order next!

If you look on Kelbly's website they even give the exact dimensions for cutting tenons and chambering instructions. I think that's cool of them.

Reactions: Gustav7
Do you get your prefits from Kelblys or somewhere else? Would love to go with an Atlas tactical next rifle build, just need more options for barrels.

If that doesn't make any sense, then I should state I've never had to order a barrel for a bolt gun...so while I understand most of my options, I'm not completely positive on all the options for this action.

I have a Savage action now so I can get Criterion and Shilen Prefits from Northland Shooters for around $400ish chambered.... Is my only option with these actions to get a blank then have it chambered? I'm not a competitor so as much as I'd love a Bartlein, its hard to throw $850 at a barrel...

Straight jacket armory.

I see this a lot now and that is people asking for pre-fit barrels. Kelbly's has held our headspace tolerance within .001" since the early 90's. Our actions have always had interchangeable "pre-fit" barrels for them. Our dealers all over the world can stock barrels chambered by us, or they can cut any blank with our dimensions provided on our website to make a pre-fit. You have NEVER had to send a Kelbly action into Kelbly's for chambering, we have always provided pre-fits.

I'm just putting this out there because we constantly get left out of the pre-fit talk but have held headspace within .001" since our first CNC was set in 1992.

We hope everyone has a great 2020!

The only thing I wish is you could find them in Canada. It can be a little tricky to find the action in stock never mind someone to do prefits!!

I got my prefit barrel through Prefered Barrel for my Atlas Tactical action. Really nice barrels for the money!

DO they make their own barrels? I went on there and didn't see options for who makes their blanks?

How did yours shoot?

DO they make their own barrels? I went on there and didn't see options for who makes their blanks?

How did yours shoot?
They make their own. My 6CM with that barrel is shooting just under 1/2” groups @ 100 yards. Shooting out to 700 at local range is pretty easy.
Fred

I have a blank barrel already, so who should I send it to for threading and chambering for my Atlas Tactical action?

Can anyone recommend a place that has barrels in stock? Or do I just need to suck it up and wait the 8 plus weeks? 😕