• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Pre-Fit Savage Barrels ????

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
Anyone have links to the pre-fit Savage barrels, I've got a buddy on a budget that wants a 1-8" twist .243 Win.

All we can find are 1-10"

Thanks!

Re: Pre-Fit Savage Barrels ????

order straight from pac-nor or shilen, takes a little longer but you can specify what you want...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats savages stock barrel for that cal? i have a link for a guy that has stock savage barrels, but that may not help. he can get you any twist i imagine but factory take offs are $80. i dont know if thats cheap or not

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php?board=64.0 </div></div>

im still tired... Jim at northland, the link above carries shilen and mcgowen in stock. i cant vouch for the price or availability, but he is good people to deal with. his number is on that page the link opens. worth a call. now im going back to sleep

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats savages stock barrel for that cal? i have a link for a guy that has stock savage barrels, but that may not help. he can get you any twist i imagine but factory take offs are $80. i dont know if thats cheap or not

im still tired... Jim at northland, the link above carries shilen and mcgowen in stock. i cant vouch for the price or availability, but he is good people to deal with. his number is on that page the link opens. worth a call. now im going back to sleep </div></div>

+1 good man I bought 2 Shilen select match barrels prefit for a small shank savage and the guns shot better than any I have had built..

Good guy and great barrels !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats savages stock barrel for that cal? i have a link for a guy that has stock savage barrels, but that may not help. he can get you any twist i imagine but factory take offs are $80. i dont know if thats cheap or not

im still tired... Jim at northland, the link above carries shilen and mcgowen in stock. i cant vouch for the price or availability, but he is good people to deal with. his number is on that page the link opens. worth a call. now im going back to sleep </div></div>

+1 good man I bought 2 Shilen select match barrels prefit for a small shank savage and the guns shot better than any I have had built..

Good guy and great barrels ! </div></div>

I would go with Shilen over Mcgowen due to the customer service and Shilen has been making barrels along time. Jim can have it cut to length by Shilen for $30.00

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdswp5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McGowen Precision offers pre-fit for savage. Their list of twist rates is substantial and the wait times are reasonable. Here's the link:

http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/index.html </div></div>
I have one of their barrels, and it shoots very well. Although there have been many complaints recently, about people that got lemons from them.
A change of hands or transition was brought up as cause of those issues.

I recieved a Shilen prefit 243 AI for my Savage and its shooting honest .5 MOA at 100yds with 105 AMax (1 in 8" twist). Took a while but worth the wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CFS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's another for you.

www.sin-arms.com

Pop </div></div>

x2 I highly recommend them. I had my Brux barrel in no time from him.

Call Woody at Lothar Walther, I just ordered a .308 and had it in a week(including mailing a M.O. to them)for just under $300. They have the .243 1:8 twist your looking for in the Savage varmint contour.

And my .308 put 5 shots in a .759 inch edge to edge group the other day. With Ultramax reman. 168 SMK in LC MG brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATLRoach</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CFS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's another for you.

www.sin-arms.com

Pop </div></div>

x2 I highly recommend them. I had my Brux barrel in no time from him. </div></div>

Devin at sin-arms is GTG. Great customer service.....and he carries several brands. Very competitive pricing. Check him out......you won't be disappointed.

Pop

Get a Benchmark! I have LW, Krieger, Bartlein, Rockcreek, Wilson, and Benchmark. The Benchmarks are the best barrel for the money in my opinion. Call them (Benchmark) direct or send your rifle to Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Gunstocks. Kevin can true your action and fit a Benchmark for you. You will be ammazed at the price and quality.