• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pre Quick Lock AI Questions

oda175365

Andrew
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2014
North Carolina, USA
I have a ‘10 AIAX- previous to the current Gen with quick barrel swap configuration. Went thru MHSA and picked up and action wrench- and sourced a good barrel vise and torque wrench. Will probably do a swap about 4x times a year. Couple questions:

1. Anyone out there still have one of the earlier models like me and do their own barrel swaps with a kit?
2. With the prefit barrels are you checking with go/no go guages, or just setting the torque on the action?
3. Anyone running 6mm Creed on the older LFP models? From my understanding the large primer factory ammo should be ok without a bushing.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have a pre 14 AX as well. Love it. I did the buttstock swap to the new AX style buttstock.
1. I do my own barrel swaps. Have the Adams arm wrench which works for the AX and AW
2. With refits from a quality manufacturer I just torque and go.
3. Only running 308 and 6.5. But if you need or want the bushing done talk to Chad at LRI.

Reactions: oda175365
You can’t change the headspace at the end user level. All you can do is torque the barrel on. It’s never bad to check headspace. On a high quality prefit, I wouldn’t accept anything less than a barrel that passes go/no go. Small primers run fine on mine. If it concerns you, run large primer brass.

Reactions: oda175365
You can’t change the headspace at the end user level. All you can do is torque the barrel on. It’s never bad to check headspace. On a high quality prefit, I wouldn’t accept anything less than a barrel that passes go/no go. Small primers run fine on mine. If it concerns you, run large primer brass.
Perfect - thanks. Ill stick with a good pre-fit from a reputable smith.

Did swaps on my 3 AE's, pretty easy. You might want to use talcum powder on the barrel vise.