Rifle Scopes Precise ring & base formula for AICS, Rem 700

eravelo

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2009
Miami Lakes, FL
I have a Rem 700 with a 50mm objective diameter scope that will soon be set into an AICS 2.0. I know AICS stock has a higher cheek rest, and that some bases are higher than others.
Which base/ring combo, including brand & ring height, are you guys using for the described setup?

Thx,,

Jorgen

KeithR41

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 20, 2009
    Oregon
    Re: Precise ring & base formula for AICS, Rem 700

Really?

Put the scope as close to th barrel as you can. Done.
    Use whatever you want. I use Badger, Seelkins SMS Leupold rings.

JaneDoe

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jul 9, 2007
    Ashland, VA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really?

Put the scope as close to th barrel as you can. Done.
    Use whatever you want. I use Badger, Seelkins SMS Leupold rings. </div></div>

Actually, I think he is asking a legitimate question. With most McMillan type stocks I'd agree with you but with the AICS I needed higher rings because with the cheek rest at the lowest position it still wasn't low enough.

This is what I used with the cheek rest all the way down on a AICS 2.0: Remington 700, Badger 20 MOA mount, Badger Medium High (1" tall) rings with a Nightforce scope with 50mm objective lens.

You can always add some height with the adjustable cheek rest, you just can't take it away.

Nessal

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Sep 19, 2009
    CA

My setup is a Rem700 short action in AICS stock with a krieger varmint heavy barrel that is about 1.15 inch under the bell. I have a 56mm nightforce mounted with badger 20moa base and high rings. I got about a .30" gap betwen the barrel and scope. Works ok but i actually want it lower because i find it a bit high for me personally because when i set my cheek on it naturally, i notice that i have to move my head up just slightly to get rid of the shadow. Just bought a set of 1" badger rings and will see how those work out.

AMAC

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 30, 2009
    East Tennessee

on my AICS setup I started out with medium Leupold MARK 4 rings and bases. I had problems getting low enough to see through the scope. I replaced the medium rings with high and I can now see thought the scope.

The scope is a NightForce 5.5-22x50 mounted with Leupold MARK 4 20MOA one piece base with high MARK 4 rings.

VITA per Veritas

AKA - Eatindirt
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Oct 31, 2009
    Tornado Alley

It will depend on your length of scope and Barrel profile as well. If the Chamber/Shank of the barrel is longers, or thick, it will possibly need a different ring than if tapered barrel profile.

eravelo

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 1, 2009
    Miami Lakes, FL

Thanks for all the posts
    The action is a 700 "milspec" with their 5R barrel, so barrel profile is not an issue. The height oF the AICS cheekpiece is.

I have read that the Badger base is a little bit lower than the one Nightforce sells (or visa versa?).
    I'll probably start with Badger 1 inch rings and their base.
    Thx again,

Jorge

AMAC

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 30, 2009
    East Tennessee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eravelo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the posts
    The action is a 700 "milspec" with their 5R barrel, so barrel profile is not an issue. The height oF the AICS cheekpiece is.

I have read that the Badger base is a little bit lower than the one Nightforce sells (or visa versa?).
    I'll probably start with Badger 1 inch rings and their base.
    Thx again,

Jorge </div></div>

My rifle is also the "milspec" 5R

ketchup

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    May 10, 2010
    Southern California

heightr.jpg

GG&G Steel rings with matching base puts the center of the eye piece at ~2.5" on my AICS 2.0 5R.

The cheekpiece itself is no more than 3/4" high at the lowest setting. I have it raised no more than 1/4" for a perfect weld.

eravelo

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 1, 2009
    Miami Lakes, FL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ketchup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    heightr.jpg

GG&G Steel rings with matching base puts the center of the eye piece at ~2.5" on my AICS 2.0 5R.

The cheekpiece itself is no more than 3/4" high at the lowest setting. I have it raised no more than 1/4" for a perfect weld. </div></div>

A picture is indeed worth a thousand words!!

Thx!!

jorge