• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Precise ring & base formula for AICS, Rem 700

eravelo

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2009
Miami Lakes, FL
I have a Rem 700 with a 50mm objective diameter scope that will soon be set into an AICS 2.0. I know AICS stock has a higher cheek rest, and that some bases are higher than others.
Which base/ring combo, including brand & ring height, are you guys using for the described setup?

Thx,,

Jorgen

Re: Precise ring & base formula for AICS, Rem 700

Really?

Put the scope as close to th barrel as you can. Done.
Use whatever you want. I use Badger, Seelkins SMS Leupold rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really?

Put the scope as close to th barrel as you can. Done.
Use whatever you want. I use Badger, Seelkins SMS Leupold rings. </div></div>

Actually, I think he is asking a legitimate question. With most McMillan type stocks I'd agree with you but with the AICS I needed higher rings because with the cheek rest at the lowest position it still wasn't low enough.

This is what I used with the cheek rest all the way down on a AICS 2.0: Remington 700, Badger 20 MOA mount, Badger Medium High (1" tall) rings with a Nightforce scope with 50mm objective lens.

You can always add some height with the adjustable cheek rest, you just can't take it away.

My setup is a Rem700 short action in AICS stock with a krieger varmint heavy barrel that is about 1.15 inch under the bell. I have a 56mm nightforce mounted with badger 20moa base and high rings. I got about a .30" gap betwen the barrel and scope. Works ok but i actually want it lower because i find it a bit high for me personally because when i set my cheek on it naturally, i notice that i have to move my head up just slightly to get rid of the shadow. Just bought a set of 1" badger rings and will see how those work out.

on my AICS setup I started out with medium Leupold MARK 4 rings and bases. I had problems getting low enough to see through the scope. I replaced the medium rings with high and I can now see thought the scope.

The scope is a NightForce 5.5-22x50 mounted with Leupold MARK 4 20MOA one piece base with high MARK 4 rings.

It will depend on your length of scope and Barrel profile as well. If the Chamber/Shank of the barrel is longers, or thick, it will possibly need a different ring than if tapered barrel profile.

Thanks for all the posts
The action is a 700 "milspec" with their 5R barrel, so barrel profile is not an issue. The height oF the AICS cheekpiece is.

I have read that the Badger base is a little bit lower than the one Nightforce sells (or visa versa?).
I'll probably start with Badger 1 inch rings and their base.
Thx again,

Jorge

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eravelo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the posts
The action is a 700 "milspec" with their 5R barrel, so barrel profile is not an issue. The height oF the AICS cheekpiece is.

I have read that the Badger base is a little bit lower than the one Nightforce sells (or visa versa?).
I'll probably start with Badger 1 inch rings and their base.
Thx again,

Jorge </div></div>

My rifle is also the "milspec" 5R

heightr.jpg

GG&G Steel rings with matching base puts the center of the eye piece at ~2.5" on my AICS 2.0 5R.

The cheekpiece itself is no more than 3/4" high at the lowest setting. I have it raised no more than 1/4" for a perfect weld.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ketchup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
heightr.jpg

GG&G Steel rings with matching base puts the center of the eye piece at ~2.5" on my AICS 2.0 5R.

The cheekpiece itself is no more than 3/4" high at the lowest setting. I have it raised no more than 1/4" for a perfect weld. </div></div>

A picture is indeed worth a thousand words!!

Thx!!

jorge