• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision 30-06 builds

pretty gun may it serve you as well as you serve it .now get out there and shoot the hell out of it and tell everyone how much you love it best of luck.

Stupid question, but how well does 3006 suppress? Same as supersonic 308 or 300 win mag? Sorry I dint have a lot if experience with suppressors and info 3006 suppressed is sort of rare lol

Oh and the only reason it isn’t scoped is because the two screw holes in the rear bridge are a non standard size that doesn’t fit my existing rail screws so I’m like fuck it, the irons stay on.

The good thing is that it gives me a suppressed rifle I can use for our old school iron sighted hunt during rifle season. After we kill a bunch of deer the first weekend we break out all the old iron sighted lever guns and single shots to add a challenge.

Stupid question, but how well does 3006 suppress? Same as supersonic 308 or 300 win mag? Sorry I dint have a lot if experience with suppressors and info 3006 suppressed is sort of rare lol

Why would it suppress any different than any other caliber?
Magic GIFs | Tenor

I average building a 30-06 every 10 years.
An old friend talked me into this one for their friend that is retiring from TX NG.
20230719_094104.jpg

20230718_183805.jpg

I haven't had any 30-06 ammo around in, well, 10yrs or more so I asked the client to send me some of what he intended to shoot.
He sent his scope and some Hornady 30-06 M1 Garand Match.

After test firing his rifle prior to shipping, I sent him a message to buy all of that he could.
This one is a freak with that ammo.
20230719_094206.jpg

I average building a 30-06 every 10 years.
An old friend talked me into this one for their friend that is retiring from TX NG.
View attachment 8186142

View attachment 8186168

I haven't had any 30-06 ammo around in, well, 10yrs or more so I asked the client to send me some of what he intended to shoot.
He sent his scope and some Hornady 30-06 M1 Garand Match.

After test firing his rifle prior to shipping, I sent him a message to buy all of that he could.
This one is a freak with that ammo.
View attachment 8186172
That's awesome! I have never shot factory loaded match ammo through anything I own but might have to try this. I'm hoping to get to a range soon to start load workup and setting up the scope.

Reactions: Terry Cross
I have never shot factory loaded match ammo through anything I own but might have to try this.
This client does not reload at this time but may get into it soon since retiring.
In the mean time he just stocked up on what was promising.

I am not a huge Hornady fan but this product was very impressive in this rifle.
I have not idea what the ES/SD is since I didn't chrono it.
I did notice that the recoil was less than my small brain expected. I think this particular SKU might be loaded down a bit for the Garand it is labeled after. Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that this 10 twist Krieger drives them really small.

./

Reactions: lash
Finally got the parts in from XLR and put some rounds in to sight it in. The circled part is 7 shots. Top left of the group I effed up. Had three on top of each other with a cold barrel, then they worked their way down. This was bulk reloading for my m1 garand I did years ago. Surplus HXP 72 brass, 4885 powder, and surplus 147gr pulled bullets. Not too bad given that load. Looking forward to putting some good loads through it. I know these 147 pulls can be up to 1 gr or more off.

We moved across the country this summer so had to find a new range. Unfortunately, not much around here that's more than 300 yards.

Attachments

• 20230920_121737.png
    20230920_121737.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 40
  • 20230920_120804.jpg
    20230920_120804.jpg
    809.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230920_115542.jpg
    20230920_115542.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 38
Well dammit this thread starts right after I ordered/ purchased a 7mm Rem Mag. Watching to see some 208 ELDM/ 215 Hybrid loads, or loads in that weight class.
You know what that means?

We need a thread for some 7 mm love. Whether 7 SAUM, 7 RM, or 7 PRC. Store bought or hand built.

A carbon barrel that may actually reduce weight. Most people seem to purchase carbon barrels and get the thickest and heaviest one available. 😂
I'll have you know that after I switched to a CF stock and a CF barrel I saved 4 whole ounces! That's a quarter pound, man! It's a MASSIVE difference. Sadly, that -06 has gone to greener pastures... was a nice rifle, though.

@xsn10s - I loaded up 208 ELD-M and 195 TMK... both around 2650 fps. I experimented with H4350, H4831sc, IMR 4955 (out of production), and Superformance. All about the same, honestly. H4831sc is nice if you don't mind things crunchy and a good alternative to H4350 (which everyone wants). The Enduron powders are out of production now, so IMR 4955 doesn't really matter.

I'll have you know that after I switched to a CF stock and a CF barrel I saved 4 whole ounces! That's a quarter pound, man! It's a MASSIVE difference. Sadly, that -06 has gone to greener pastures... was a nice rifle, though.

@xsn10s - I loaded up 208 ELD-M and 195 TMK... both around 2650 fps. I experimented with H4350, H4831sc, IMR 4955 (out of production), and Superformance. All about the same, honestly. H4831sc is nice if you don't mind things crunchy and a good alternative to H4350 (which everyone wants). The Enduron powders are out of production now, so IMR 4955 doesn't really matter.
Here's a thread where beretzs used Staball 6.5 with a 212 ELDX and reached just over 2700 fps on his 22" Model 70. On LRH another member used RL26 to get 2900 fps with a 208 ELDM 26". I haven't tried to confirm either of these loads. I'm working on my new remarms 7mm RM ADL I stuck in a KRG Bravo. I might start a thread depending on how well it shoots and if people are interested. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../topics/15094810/re-30-06-212-eld-staball-6-5

Reactions: GhostFace
Not gonna lie, I’m not even a scope snob and I winced.
I really don’t care what others think and as long as a rifle does everything asked of it the name on the side of it doesn’t really matter.
As for scopes I’m really getting spoiled with nice glass but current prices are through the roof.

The Tangent actually moved on to one of my most recent builds. An Ultimatum Deadline with an IBI barrel and MDT ACC chassis.
I call that my Canuck build because it’s all Canadian.
Here it is at Dead Zero Shooting Park in Spencer Tennessee.

Reactions: lash and xsn10s
My stock Savage LRP .338 with its S&B on it outshoots many a custom rifle at a mile. I’ll admit that many of those were being wielded by relative newbies to their .375CT and similar rigs.

Point being that a good barrel, good ammo and good scope are largely responsible for good hits, as long as the driver can drive.

I really don’t care what others think and as long as a rifle does everything asked of it the name on the side of it doesn’t really matter.
As for scopes I’m really getting spoiled with nice glass but current prices are through the roof.

The Tangent actually moved on to one of my most recent builds. An Ultimatum Deadline with an IBI barrel and MDT ACC chassis.
I call that my Canuck build because it’s all Canadian.
Here it is at Dead Zero Shooting Park in Spencer Tennessee.

I’m just not a savage fan, owned one that I gave away plus have worked on and shot several others for friends. Most of them have some type of function problem and every time I shoot them I come away with they same feeling that they just aren’t for me.

Friend of mine buys them, bitches they don’t feed right, replaces everything but the action and bottom metal then bitches they still don’t feed right.

Still not as bad as the guy that put a $45 Guide Gear scope on an M1A Super Match then sold it because he couldn’t hit anything with it.

Reactions: GhostFace
IMG_9916.jpeg

What kinda’ barrel life are ya’ll getting with the heavies? 200gr and up?

I’m getting ready for my third barrel. First barrel was 24” HV Bartlien 10 twist that went away after 1868 rounds, mostly 208gr AMAX and a bunch of 155 Scenars going way too fast.

Second barrel was a 23.5” Mike Rock M40 10 twist that I ran exclusively 208gr ELDMs and 208gr Berger Hybrids (both going about 2760).

I’m currently at 1845 rounds on the Rock barrel and it’s out of rifling in the first 4 inches or so of the bore. Only reason I bothered to look was the fact that it’s running out of accuracy at 1K.

I’ve got a Brux 10 twist HV and a Brux M24 contour on the shelf waiting.
I’ll probably get it re barreled in October.
I’ve got my own Serengeti reamer.

IMG_9555.jpeg

I’m just not a savage fan, owned one that I gave away plus have worked on and shot several others for friends. Most of them have some type of function problem and every time I shoot them I come away with they same feeling that they just aren’t for me.

Friend of mine buys them, bitches they don’t feed right, replaces everything but the action and bottom metal then bitches they still don’t feed right.

Still not as bad as the guy that put a $45 Guide Gear scope on an M1A Super Match then sold it because he couldn’t hit anything with it.
These are some of my Savage rifles.

The one with the S&B on it was my first bolt action rifle I ever bought.
I shot the barrel out of it in 5 years then I swapped the barrel 2 times. It has over 10,700 rounds through it without a hiccup.
That is what gave me the confidence to buy another and another.
The 3 BA’s all came from Savage with AICS magazines so maybe that makes a difference.
Starting from the rear the 110BA in 338 LM was picked up used for the equivalent of $900usd.
It had 10 rounds through it. The original owner gave me the other 1/2 of the box of Hornady ammo.
I bought 110 rounds of 250gr Lapua factory ammo for a crazy low price from someone who was unloading 1900 rounds because it shot poorly in his rifle.
It shot poorly in mine too.
This is what minimal load development gave me which is quite respectable.

The 10BA next to it was originally in 308.
That was another deal too good to pass up for once again the equivalent of $900usd.
I swapped the barrel a few weeks ago to 1-10 twist 6BR another deal from a friend for under $300.
This is initial load development from last weekend.

The one in the foreground was a 12FV from Cabela’s for $529 Canadian.
I threw it in the MDT chassis and shot this load development target on New Years Eve in 0°F weather.

Maybe I’m just lucky with Savage.

Last edited:
View attachment 8232416

I’m getting ready for my third barrel. First barrel was 24” HV Bartlien 10 twist that went away after 1868 rounds, mostly 208gr AMAX and a bunch of 155 Scenars going way too fast.

Second barrel was a 23.5” Mike Rock M40 10 twist that I ran exclusively 208gr ELDMs and 208gr Berger Hybrids (both going about 2760).

I’m currently at 1845 rounds on the Rock barrel and it’s out of rifling in the first 4 inches or so of the bore. Only reason I bothered to look was the fact that it’s running out of accuracy at 1K.

View attachment 8232418

What powder are you using?

Reactions: xsn10s
View attachment 8232416

View attachment 8232418
What is the max distance you shooting at 1,000y/m?
Is it only for punching paper or for hunting also?
I’m trying to figure out the purpose of this rifle and the need to launch heavies at 2760fps.
My 308 will launch 185 juggernauts at 2675 but with more than double the barrel life.

What is the max distance you shooting at 1,000y/m?
Is it only for punching paper or for hunting also?
I’m trying to figure out the purpose of this rifle and the need to launch heavies at 2760fps.
My 308 will launch 185 juggernauts at 2675 but with more than double the barrel life.
Interesting you wrote this previously yet question this gentleman .

1695330261454.png

On a side note, what brass is everyone using. I'm wanting to load up the Greek surplus brass I have a bunch of, but after yesterday's group, I'm not sure if it's the bullets, brass or both. I had 3 shots stacked then two low, right shots. Seems like I'd have a random flyer in every 5 shots.

A reasonable way to sort unknown brass is by weight.
Not just brass but slug weight. And charge weight. The only thing we cannot control is the actual mass distribution in the slug. But when people want to know why it is not all going through the same hole, even in a vise or lead sled, that is because of these variances. And I think they matter more than barrel harmonics, though I am sure someone can prove me wrong. Which will not hurt my feelings. Always learning...

This is the best price I’ve seen for Lapua 30-06 brass in some time. Last time it was available in boxes of a hundred it was in the $136 range.

On a side note, what brass is everyone using. I'm wanting to load up the Greek surplus brass I have a bunch of, but after yesterday's group, I'm not sure if it's the bullets, brass or both. I had 3 shots stacked then two low, right shots. Seems like I'd have a random flyer in every 5 shots.

I have a bunch of LC 67 Match. For my purpose I only need 50+ matched brass. So, I deburred flash holes, uniformed pockets, turned necks and trimmed. Weighed all processed brass. Grabbed the batch that were 2 grains spreads.

Turning, I used one of the lathes, turned the mandrel in place for the brass to fit over it. Brass spins with mandrel during neck turning, instead of turning over a mandrel, as in most cases. Turned just enough to clean up, not to a specific chamber neck dimension.

20221105_224346.jpg
20221114_095630.jpg
20221114_095610.jpg

Did spending way too much time preparing brass (luxury of bring retired, retired) helped precision? Can't tell, not enough data points. However, I did a pressure test, backed the charge from swipe, then planned to do load work. But, I did not have the time to do full work. So, I just grabbed 57.5 and tried a couple of 2 shot groups, variable being the primer.

20220905_205157.jpg
20220905_194742.jpg
20220905_194734.jpg

I wrote the wrong charge on the paper targets. The load is 57.5 using 166 Hammer Hunter.

Part of this hobby that is really fun is playing with loads, and machine work. As in the case of the 166 Hammer Hunters, I never pursued that combo any further. The 215 Berger Hybrids are more fascinating to me

Last edited:
Reactions: xsn10s
So for the fun of it, I decided to see what I'm working with for case specs on HXP 1972 stamped brass since I have a bunch of it. Out of 34 cases, here's the spread. We did have some in the 193gr and over 200gr. I'm trying to avoid spending more money in brass, but I'm thinking this spread could be a group breaker.

Attachments

• 20230922_111606.jpg
    20230922_111606.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 21
So for the fun of it, I decided to see what I'm working with for case specs on HXP 1972 stamped brass since I have a bunch of it. Out of 34 cases, here's the spread. We did have some in the 193gr and over 200gr. I'm trying to avoid spending more money in brass, but I'm thinking this spread could be a group breaker.
If you have a lot of it, just separate it into batches of 2 gr. spreads. It looks like your distribution is relatively even, so that shouldn’t be too hard. Just do like @81STFACP did above, possibly minus the neck turning. Trim and ID/OD chamfer.

“So, I deburred flash holes, uniformed pockets, turned necks and trimmed. Weighed all processed brass. Grabbed the batch that were 2 grains spreads.”

I picked up 500 pieces of Starline .30-06 but I haven’t had a chance to load anything yet. I have a Remington 700 Long Range and an assortment of bullets from 200 grains to 230 grains.

I picked up 500 pieces of Starline .30-06 but I haven’t had a chance to load anything yet. I have a Remington 700 Long Range and an assortment of bullets from 200 grains to 230 grains.
Those 200 grain bullets will thump ya!

Reactions: Bhobbs