• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Precision Rifle Reloading Press Choice

Precision Rifle Reloading Press Choice

• Turret Top (like a Redding T7, RCBS Turret or Lyman Turret

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Die Bushing (like a Hornady LNL or Lee Breech Lock

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Progressive (like a Dillon, Hornady AP or RCBS 2000

Votes: 12 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HumpHammrr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Boone,North Carolina, US of A
What is your actual choice? Turret Top Press (like a Redding T7 or RCBS Turret) vs Die Bushing Insert Press (like a Hornady Classic Lock N Load or Lee Classic Cast Breach Lock) vs Progressive Press (like a Dillon 500/650/1050 or Hornady Lock N Load AP).

With each of these set ups, die change is minimal or none. There is the stack up of tolerances inherent with die, bushing, turret, rotating shell plate, etc.

I'm not concerned with price point. The biggest concern is the finished round in regards to case/projectile runout.

You'll probably find that the majority here would recommend either a Forster Coax, RCBS Rockchucker or Lee Classic cast-in that order. The coax gives you the quick die changes. Watch out, presses reproduce when left alone on the bench- I started with a lee challenger, before I realized fully what happened I had a Dillon square deal bolted next to it and I restored an old CH press too

Forster Co-Ax for precision reloads, Dillon 550B for bulk. I can crank out all the ammo I want with these two.

Lee Classic Cast, customized with the Hornady LNL bushing kit. Allows quick change, preset dies. Plenty of beef for FL resizing large rounds, and plenty of accuracy for little to no runout.

Rockchucker all the way.

--- aim small miss small ---

I voted Turret only because that's what I'd buy if I ever buy a new press. Right now I'm more than pleased using an RCBS RCII with Hornady LnL bushing conversion.

For most rifle loading a turret is about as fast as it gets for pure precision loading. If you have an auto-loader with a big appetite (or like me with 3 "AR Mouth to feed") then a progressive like a Dillon is the answer.

I have a T-7, 550, 650, LNL, and a RCBS RC III. They all do things slightly differently, and all have their uses, but I load all my precision long gun ammo on the t7. My dads ultramag is a beast for magnum cartridges, but each has it's strengths.

It doesn't matter what I use, for precision reloading I would use an arbor press and hand dies. Certainly not a turret or progressive press nor any quick-change die bushings.

You can get the RCBS Rockchucker and get the Hornady LNL bushing conversion kit if you must have a die bushing set.

I've been using the LNL bushing set for 2-3 years with great success. I'm not sure if those that don't believe in their usefulness have ever actually tried them, but if you considering using them I encourage you to try.

I find them very repeatable on die settings, using both Forster and Redding micrometer dies. I have been able to produce ammo with .001 runout or less with no problems, and I love being able to click my dies in and out in seconds while knowing they're already set.

Try it, you might like it!

You can get the RCBS Rockchucker and get the Hornady LNL bushing conversion kit if you must have a die bushing set.

I've loaded on a Rockchucker for 30 years now. I guess I could add LNL to it. It was made around 1970. I also have a Dillon 550 that I use for 9mm, .45 ACP and .223 (M4 quality/quantity) on. I'm getting a new press and like the idea of quick change that the various "systems" offer.

Maybe I'm weird but I've never once thought, "gosh this whole unscrewing and rescrewing dies thing is just eating into my day, I really need some kind of ultra quick die swapper outer thingy..."

Precision rifle reloading, RCBS RC press and Redding competition dies (with regular good olde fashion threads and lock ring) Doesn't get much more repeatably precise than that. For everything else, there's MasterCard - I mean Dillon progressive.

--- aim small miss small ---

As the second post states, beware of presses reproducing!
I have:
1 Turret (Lyman)
1 Forster Co-Ax
1 Arbor Sinclair
1 Dillon 550B
3 progressive shotty presses

I've loaded on a Rockchucker for 30 years now. I guess I could add LNL to it. It was made around 1970. I also have a Dillon 550 that I use for 9mm, .45 ACP and .223 (M4 quality/quantity) on. I'm getting a new press and like the idea of quick change that the various "systems" offer.

Well getting anything made by Lee would be a downgrade (I've had terrible experiance with their progressive). If you must get something new and want a fast change, I'd go with the Co-Ax. I don't personally have one but it gets rave reviews here.

I have a T7 and a Big Boss. I load all my rifle and pistol on them. Sure it takes a bit longer to load pistol or rifle blasting rounds but I dont shoot the volume of rounds to warrant getting a Dillon yet

Lee Classic Cast, customized with the Hornady LNL bushing kit. Allows quick change, preset dies. Plenty of beef for FL resizing large rounds, and plenty of accuracy for little to no runout.

This is the exact route I went. This combo is the best value for the dollar I could find in a cast iron frame press.

"I've been using the LNL bushing set for 2-3 years with great success. ..., and I love being able to click my dies in and out in seconds while knowing they're already set. Try it, you might like it! "

After some 47 years of handloading I don't have to try quickie die bushings to know (1) they really get expensive if you have very many die sets and (2) there's no point in using a wrench to lock in dies (witness: the Coax) and I can screw swap dies in less than 45 seconds on a slow day so instaneous swap gimmicks wouldn't change my life style and (3) lock rings properly set will hold any die adjustments perfectly and (4) "set it and forget it" dies is poor precision loading practice anyway because cases harden as they're used so I often tweek my sizers and (5) my seaters get readjusted for different bullets anyway and (6) I really don't find die adjustments to be very difficult or time consuming... ;)

"I've been using the LNL bushing set for 2-3 years with great success. ..., and I love being able to click my dies in and out in seconds while knowing they're already set. Try it, you might like it! "

After some 47 years of handloading I don't have to try quickie die bushings to know (1) they really get expensive if you have very many die sets and (2) there's no point in using a wrench to lock in dies (witness: the Coax) and I can screw swap dies in less than 45 seconds on a slow day so instaneous swap gimmicks wouldn't change my life style and (3) lock rings properly set will hold any die adjustments perfectly and (4) "set it and forget it" dies is poor precision loading practice anyway because cases harden as they're used so I often tweek my sizers and (5) my seaters get readjusted for different bullets anyway and (6) I really don't find die adjustments to be very difficult or time consuming... ;)

Glad you've found a system of practices that work for you.

I love my Coax, bit I also really love, and highly recommend the Harrel's precision press--like everything Harrel's it is great kit.

I've got 2 of the 3 on my bench that comprise what I like to think of as the 'Holy Trinity'--I've got the Co-Ax, the T7...and hope to add the 550 within a year. I just can't seem to load pistol rounds with any enthusiasm on the single stage, and the turret is better, but just not 'cranking'.

After that, I'm sure that will be all the reloading gear I'll ever want or need. Yep...no chance there could ever be anything else I'd want. Nothing to see here...move along.

I'll recommend you look at something a bit different: No. 444 H Press : CH4D

It has multiple die the advantages of a turret press, with none of the wobble draw backs because the head does not rotate. The 444 has 4 die stations, and requires you two use 4 shellholders if you want to use all stations at once. A clear cup fits on the rear most station to catch primers through the shellholder.

I have CH 444 press that I've run for the last 23 years. And I also have CH press that's 30 years old, a Magnum "H" Press that's no longer made. It's just like the 444 except it only has one station. I use that one for just bullet seating.

Hard to wear these things out. One of the best part of these presses is that nothing hangs below the top of the bench. Great for a reloading bench that has pull out draws or cabinets below the bench top.

I bought a Forster Co-Ax about 18 months ago and my Lyman Orange Crusher and RCBS Rock Chucker (used for 25 years) have sat in the closet. The Co-Ax is an awesome press.

Last edited: