• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rimfire Practice Target 2.0

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    A couple years ago I posted a 50 round, 50 yard precision rimfire practice target that I made to stay ready for local rimfire matches. That target set has been working great but like all things I felt like it needed to evolve so I set about working on version 2.0. There were two main things I wanted V2.0 to address and that was no sling stuff and it needed to be doable at a typical shooting bench/range location. The genesis for this was that recently I wanted to get some practice in with my .22 but the tactical bays that normally allow me the freedom of movement to shoot the 50/50 target were closed and I was relegated back to the normal shooting benches. The set up at the shooting benches doesn't lend itself well to shooting from barricades and sling shooting, it scares the natives. This is what I came up with and proofed it over the weekend, only making a couple tweeks before sharing it here with you guys.

Page 1 (upper left) is set like the previous one to help work on accuracy and precision. All shots can be done from the prone or seated at a bench if you have to. In V2.0 I added a cold bore target to jive with the Storm Tactical pocket rimfire data book and removed the KYL portion. Page 2 (upper right) is for working different positions using a 5 gallon bucket and a chair. The upper target set you shoot off an upturned bucket and the lower set is done using the back of the chair for support. I changed the COF for the lower target from using two different heights on the chair to shooting it strong and support side. Page 3 (lower left) is to help work on economy of motion to get set up and break a good shot quickly. If you didn't use up all of your alibi shots, then there's the opportunity for a couple bonus points, which is another area I made a revision. Originally, the bonus points were worth 10 points each but I dropped it to 1 point each. The ruler on the score sheet is properly scaled when printed with "no scaling" to help determine the 5 shot group size or note the dispersion on page 3. That way everything you need to score and note data is organic to the target set.

20210116_214304.jpg

*Based on the new scoring for bonus shots the revised score would be 125/156.

PNTC rimfire range day.jpg

Proofing everything out Saturday afternoon. I didn't have a shooting bench, only a range table but I shot Page 1 prone and used the table for Page 3's course of fire. There are no time limits to complete any of the courses of fire but a par time can certainly be applied to up the ante while practicing.

This is a thread from back in November when I used the original 50/50 target with my Bergara B14R, attached at the bottom of my first post is that target set.

I think it'd be interesting to see some of the results other people are getting with their rimfires so please feel free to print these off and post up your results.

Attachments

• 50_50 PRPT V2.0.pdf
      1.4 MB · Views: 327
    Great idea. I will use try this out. Thanks

Thanks for this looks great. Great way to spice up next range trip, I’ll try it out.

Always looking for something new to try out when I'm at a bench at 50, will give this one a...shot...next time I'm at the range. we are getting bored with the dart board targets I had printed

Humpty dumpty question. 10 shots for 8 targets and 8 point max? Typo? I'll try to run through this target next nice day.

Thanks for posting this, @Trigger Monkey

I am gonna try it out this week. Maybe I am just missing it, but is there a par time for these drills?
    No, I intentionally left out par times because I felt that being practice targets the focus should be on fundamentals and working the course of fire without the stress of a time hack. That being said anyone could apply a par time (60-90 seconds for example) to the courses of fire to increase the difficulty or create a friendly competition amongst friends.

For example, on the cold bore shot instead of starting in position, start from the standing from a few feet away with rifle and gear in hand and on the buzzer execute the shot within 60 seconds.