• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision rimfire zero distance?

cuz

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2017
At what distance are you all zeroing your precision rimfire rifles?

Thanks.

35 yards, the only disadvantage is you need a range that allows target placement at non standard distances.

25 yards, for the same reason 100 for center fire.

Reactions: LR1845
I don’t know what you’re referring to.

I say 50 yards too. You never mentioned your scope or your goals, I say chrono your ammo and figure out what works best for your game. Run a ballistic app and verify the results, even with a 50 yard zero, the true intersect of the bullet and your scope height may be somewhere around 25 yards with a 50 yard zero.
I played around so much with a red dot on a 10/22 for a kid to be accurate to 70 yards while holding point blank that 15-17 yards worked well. Scope a different story for pinpoint hits.

I was thinking it would be 25 or 50 yards, but then I found this article supporting a 35 yard zero, and I think I may try it. I can’t seem to find any downside to it, but then again, I’m a noob with zero precision rifle experience.

https://www.everydaymarksman.co/equipment/22lr-zero/
I've done the same math and agree 35 would follow the 100 yard centerfire logic pretty well.

The downside is that 35 yard target markers at most rifle ranges are kinda rare in the US. It's far easier and more convenient to just pick either 25 or 50, the difference is not that big a deal.

Last edited:
I have never seen a check zero board supplied prior to, at a match that was NOT at 50yds.

Obviously in some scenarios you can set up your own. But if you need it and there is little time or no allowance to move in closer...its gonna be a problem.

So I say zero wherever you want. But have a plan if shit goes sideways at the last minute.

I have never seen a check zero board supplied prior to, at a match that was NOT at 50yds.

Obviously in some scenarios you can set up your own. But if you need it and there is little time or no allowance to move in closer...its gonna be a problem.

So I say zero wherever you want. But have a plan if shit goes sideways at the last minute.

Forgive my complete ignorance, because I'm a total noob who's only experience to date is what I've gathered from Internet research (probably too much at that), with no time at the range yet.
But, with that said, why does it matter what the distance of the zero board is, as long as you know the distance it's at? If you are zeroed at 35 yards, and at a match, the zero board is at 50 yards, don't you simply check your ballistic app (or dope card?) and dial the .2 mil for 50 yards and shoot away at the zero board? Am I missing something here?

Hey man, do whatever you feel works for you.

To me...that's like saying, "I zero 2" high at 100yds so I'll be dead on at 200yds".

That's not being zeroed at 200....that's just being 2" high. It's zeroed at 200yds when you have confirmed its zeroed at 200yds.

If I feel there is a real reason to question my zero that I also feel compelled to check it....I'm gonna do it right and be absolutely certain. Why? Because it's easy enough to do it the right way the first time.

Hey man, do whatever you feel works for you.

To me...that's like saying, "I zero 2" high at 100yds so I'll be dead on at 200yds".

That's not being zeroed at 200....that's just being 2" high. It's zeroed at 200yds when you have confirmed its zeroed at 200yds.

If I feel there is a real reason to question my zero that I also feel compelled to check it....I'm gonna do it right and be absolutely certain. Why? Because it's easy enough to do it the right way the first time.
Got it, like I said earlier, too much Internet research and no practical experience... yet.

Got it, like I said earlier, too much Internet research and no practical experience... yet.
You asked a question. Obvious shooters here are telling you 50y. You say you are a noob to the sport. Go to a couple local matches and experience and observe what EVERYONE is doing. I'm certain 99% of the PRC RimFire and NRL22 shooters are using a 50y zero. I'll add I am using a 50y zero for my Airguns and 22lr's for the NRL22 and PRS RimFire matches. This is because all the targets provided for Zero Confirmation at matches is at 50y.

If you wish to zero at another distance due to reading it online go of it and report back to us with ho well that works for you.

Reactions: cuz
You asked a question. Obvious shooters here are telling you 50y. You say you are a noob to the sport. Go to a couple local matches and experience and observe what EVERYONE is doing. I'm certain 99% of the PRC RimFire and NRL22 shooters are using a 50y zero. I'll add I am using a 50y zero for my Airguns and 22lr's for the NRL22 and PRS RimFire matches. This is because all the targets provided for Zero Confirmation at matches is at 50y.

If you wish to zero at another distance due to reading it online go of it and report back to us with ho well that works for you.

As you can see, plenty above are using other than 50yd zeros.

The only advantage 50yds has is that it's more common for target boards to be set up at.

I do 50 yards, but lets lay this out. If you show up to a match and don't know where to set the elevation turret for a 50 yard zero board you probably went to a competition before you were ready. Set your zero at what ever distance you want, and have DOPE for everything else...problem solved.

I tried the 35-yard zero for awhile - it made sense that effect of wind would be less at 35.

I'm back at 50-yard zero simply because that's what the great majority of match shooters use (at least the ones i know) and , tbh, the 35-yard zero got in my head a little. I shoot a little monthly match with one target set at 50 yards, and it felt plain weird to have a tenth or two dialed in at 50 yards.

Plus, I do all my zeroing (rimfire and centerfire) now on the 100-yard bay of an indoor range - only "wind" is the 1-2mph bench --> backstop air draw of the ventilation system :love:.

You asked a question. Obvious shooters here are telling you 50y. You say you are a noob to the sport. Go to a couple local a and experience and observe what EVERYONE is doing. I'm certain 99% of the PRC RimFire and NRL22 shooters are using a 50y zero. I'll add I am using a 50y zero for my Airguns and 22lr's for the NRL22 and PRS RimFire matches. This is because all the targets provided for Zero Confirmation at matches is at 50y.

I tried a 100yd zero figuring most targets at the match I usually shoot were 100yds and out

Then the MD stuck some 35yd and 65yd targets out the next match. Holding under isn't terribly hard, but it's easier to hold over so I went back to a 50yd zero. Not nearly as many 35yd targets out there as 50 and up

OP: The other benefit to zeroing at 50yds is that most other people are zeroed at 50yds too. If you have issues with your ballistic app spitting out the wrong info like I did a few matches ago, you can use someone else's data and be close enough to be close enough

M

Reactions: cuz
50 because that's what most people told me. It's also the standard for the zero board. My first match, I didn't have a chance to zero my rifle at all before hand, which also means I didn't ammo test or chrono anything. So it was nice to be able to check with the other shooters on what they were dialing for dope to make sure I was close enough.

Reactions: cuz and usafa77
Thanks, I like the idea of just being "compatible" with most of the other shooters at a match, especially if I want to compare what they have on their dope card, or in their app, without having to remember to add the .2 mil to compensate for having a different zero as everyone else.

I guess I'll zero at 50 yards, but set the zero stops 0.5 mil below zero, so I can dial down if I want to get inside 50 yards.
That should work, right???

Thanks, I like the idea of just being "compatible" with most of the other shooters at a match, especially if I want to compare what they have on their dope card, or in their app, without having to remember to add the .2 mil to compensate for having a different zero as everyone else.

I guess I'll zero at 50 yards, but set the zero stops 0.5 mil below zero, so I can dial down if I want to get inside 50 yards.
That should work, right???

There is only a small place inside 50 yards, about 30-47yards, where you have to dial under and only about .1-.2 mils. Everything else is up.

Reactions: lash and cuz
I use a 30y zero to cut out environmentals. My MV is 1119 fps. At 50 it’s a 0.08D dial which my scope can do (rounded to tenth). I don’t have any issues smacking a KYL at that distance even while holding dead center. It’s not enough to make a difference to me at least.

There is only a small place inside 50 yards, about 30-47yards, where you have to dial under and only about .1-.2 mils. Everything else is up.
Agreed, but the .5 will be easier for me to remember, and allow me to dial UP for everything. I can zip to the stop, then dial up a couple if I need to get to 30 yards, ur up 5 clicks to get to zero.

Agreed, but the .5 will be easier for me to remember, and allow me to dial UP for everything. I can zip to the stop, then dial up a couple if I need to get to 30 yards, ur up 5 clicks to get to zero.

Wasn’t saying not to go .5 below as I set mine there also but that thinking about hitting the stop and coming up is something you should reconsider. You are dialing past where you need to be to dial back up to it. Makes no sense and takes time. Seconds count.

Reactions: silphidae and cuz
Wasn’t saying not to go .5 below as I set mine there also but that thinking about hitting the stop and coming up is something you should reconsider. You are dialing past where you need to be to dial back up to it. Makes no sense and takes time. Seconds count.
Got it.

I’m zero’d @ 50 and set my scope to go .4 below zero stop (Burris). Kinda handy for KYLs up close when you have to dial -.1

I have yet to find a 35 yard target where I couldn't cover it with the center and .2 up.

This is a .5" square target. Even at .25" you can cover it and get good hits. This is the silly things that you can argue about all day, or just shoot it and get hits.

Screenshot_20231005-110755-571.png

I’ll zero out at 50, since it’s easy and the hold under for shorter distances isn’t hard or I can dial under since I set my zero stop .5 below

50 yards and also you need to have a the correct reticle for hold unders as well as hold overs

50 yards for me also , if you think it’s not far enough , try it often . It can humble the best of us .

I have yet to find a 35 yard target where I couldn't cover it with the center and .2 up.

This is a .5" square target. Even at .25" you can cover it and get good hits. This is the silly things that you can argue about all day, or just shoot it and get hits.

View attachment 8242248
That labeled reticle is pretty sweet. How did you do that?