• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision stock upgrade for Ruger American

Hi all. Have a buddy who just acquired a Ruger Ranch in .300 BO. He is only going to use it for 50 or so yard shots at night at a feeder where he needs some quieter discretion…..subsonics and a thermal scope. But even with a Bobro mount the Pulsar Trail sits a bit high for his eyes. The easy solution is a stacked pad or pool noodle and duct tape. But he is interested in knowing whether there is an aftermarket stock with an adjustable comb that will level the stock close to the scope rail height. Please advise if such a creature exists……Magpul looks promising but I don’t think the comb is quite high enough…..and I doubt he will drop more than $200-$300. Thanks!
Here is one.

I have also done it old school with craft foam and vet tape.

craft foam

gaffe tape (vetranarian tape)

Build up the level you need and hold it down with some scotch tape.

Then wrap with the vet tape a few times.

If you change scopes and especially the height of the eyeline, you may have to adjust this.

Reactions: BamaSE
Hi all. Have a buddy who just acquired a Ruger Ranch in .300 BO. He is only going to use it for 50 or so yard shots at night at a feeder where he needs some quieter discretion…..subsonics and a thermal scope. But even with a Bobro mount the Pulsar Trail sits a bit high for his eyes. The easy solution is a stacked pad or pool noodle and duct tape. But he is interested in knowing whether there is an aftermarket stock with an adjustable comb that will level the stock close to the scope rail height. Please advise if such a creature exists……Magpul looks promising but I don’t think the comb is quite high enough…..and I doubt he will drop more than $200-$300. Thanks!

The Magpul Hunter and MDT Field stocks both give you adjustable comb heights. The Field stock is adjustable directly, the Hunter adjusts by replacing the comb with different heights (available in a fairly cheap kit from Magpul).

If you're happy with the factory stock otherwise though, you can do something like this with a piece of Kydex and a couple carriage bolts and thumb nuts from the hardware store. Easy enough to make it look clean and neat, and with some care in the dimensions you can still remove the bolt (might have to roll the bolt upside down in the last inch of travel to get it out). This was my Creedmoor stock before switching to the Magpul Hunter, which I do like better for the purpose. I formed the Kydex by heating and draping it right over the factory stock comb - perfect fit.

DKMAp9Ih.jpg

coN3OSMh.jpg

Reactions: BamaSE
Gotcha on the Magpul.
And thanks, I will share the stock pack👍🏻
The Magpul works perfectly fine with the right mags… I run the Magpul AICS stock with the Magpul AICS 223 mags for my Ranch .300 BLK. Not a single issue. Also, invest the $150 and upgrade the trigger to a Timney. Worth every penny.

IMG_6587.jpeg
IMG_6585.jpeg

Last edited:
Gotcha on the Magpul.
And thanks, I will share the stock pack👍🏻
The Magpul works perfectly fine with the right mags… I run the Magpul AICS stock with the Magpul AICS 223 mags for my Ranch .300 BLK. Not a single issue. Also, invest the $150 and upgrade the trigger to a Timney. Worth every penny.

View attachment 8307664View attachment 8307665
Oooh, good point. The magpul 223 aics didnt exist when I was going through it myself. One caveat is the 2.390" limitation if you want to run some longer heavier 223 load configurations.
I notice that they say its not recommended for blackout but its working for you?
1703777803934.png

Oooh, good point. The magpul 223 aics didnt exist when I was going through it myself. One caveat is the 2.390" limitation if you want to run some longer heavier 223 load configurations.
I notice that they say its not recommended for blackout but its working for you?
View attachment 8307683
Works fine for me. And allows me to seat the 210 Bergers and 220 Berry’s out into the lands if I wanted to, with plenty of room left over. I seat them 0.010” off, and get excellent results.

L - 220 Berry’s
R - 210 VLD

IMG_5604.jpeg

220 Berry’s

IMG_6071.png

210 VLD

IMG_6073.png

Last edited: