• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Underground rear bags?

Gil P.

Blank
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
What do you all think of these? I've used a Str8laced that I put heavier fill in for a few years, I've also used a Tab gear rear bag; I really hate both of them. I want something that isn't difficult to adjust the height of, and that is stable.

Reactions: DaleGribble82
I was looking at the ELR and 3D ELR. I like the dimensions of the Str8laced, but I don't like how it sort of deflates when you put weight on it. Have you used the 3D ELR?

What do you all think of these? I've used a Str8laced that I put heavier fill in for a few years, I've also used a Tab gear rear bag; I really hate both of them. I want something that isn't difficult to adjust the height of, and that is stable.
My company literally started because I could not find a decent rear bag. They were all slippery and ridiculously hard to keep where I wanted them. Check out the video demo on the site and you will get a sense of how the fill works.
PrecisionUndergroundRifleGear.com

The 3D ELR uses the same fill as the one in the demo. The 3D is not a lot bigger in height and width but it has the added 3rd dimension of thickness so it’s ridic thick and stable when the stock sinks into it. I like something a little smaller so I still use the standard ELR. I’ve never had a str8 laced but I think the dimensions of the 3D are pretty close. Happy to help if you have any questions!

edit- we now have a light(ish) fill we can use in the 3d to keep it around 1 lb. the fill locks together like crazy and gets really firm so it’s ideal in a rear bag.

Last edited:
My company literally started because I could not find a decent rear bag. They were all slippery and ridiculously hard to keep where I wanted them. Check out the video demo on the site and you will get a sense of how the fill works.

The 3D ELR uses the same fill as the one in the demo. The 3D is not a lot bigger in height and width but it has the added 3rd dimension of thickness so it’s ridic thick and stable when the stock sinks into it. I like something a little smaller so I still use the standard ELR. I’ve never had a str8 laced but I think the dimensions of the 3D are pretty close. Happy to help if you have any questions!

The link isn’t working

I'll order a 3D bag and see how it goes. The mini recon looks interesting too. Does the mini recon compress more under pressure than the 3D bag?

I'll order a 3D bag and see how it goes. The mini recon looks interesting too. Does the mini recon compress more under pressure than the 3D bag?
If you are looking mainly for a rear bag the 3D is the way to go. The Recon Mini works great as a rear bag but the 3D is designed specifically for it. The Mini is filled to a certain level and the ratio of fillers is tweaked in order for it to work best as a front bag. It still works very well in the rear but that’s job #2 for it.

If you plan to use it some as a front bag get the Recon Mini. The Mini works better as a rear bag than the 3D works as a front bag, if that makes sense.

If you are looking mainly for a rear bag the 3D is the way to go. The Recon Mini works great as a rear bag but the 3D is designed specifically for it. The Mini is filled to a certain level and the ratio of fillers is tweaked in order for it to work best as a front bag. It still works very well in the rear but that’s job #2 for it.

If you plan to use it some as a front bag get the Recon Mini. The Mini works better as a rear bag than the 3D works as a front bag, if that makes sense.

It makes sense. The recon mini is a better compromise between the two. Thanks for explaining everything to me. I'll have to post on here after a month or so if using the 3D bag.

Do you ship to Canada or are their Canadian vendors with your bags?

Do you ship to Canada or are their Canadian vendors with your bags?
I believe I can ship to Canada. I haven’t looked into ITAR much but I don’t think bags are regulated under it. I’ll double check and can get you a shipping quote. Send me a pm with what you are wanting to order and I’ll look into it. I’ve had a few people as for out of country shipping and I need to bite the bullet and figure it out. ITAR is complicated and I want to make sure I dont break the law!

I have a Wiebad bag I bought last year at the NRA convention in Dallas. The ELR is about the same size and shape at the Wiebad I have. The ELR is a WAY better bag.
The customer service is second to none also. Precision Underground wants you to be happy with your bag.

I’m getting the ELR 3D next.

Just got 2 in the mail that I got to play with the other day, the elr and small elr.

They are sweet. Easily the I've gotten to mess with. My previous favorite was a str8lace and an older tab gear that worked pretty well. The elr ones are simply way better to me.

When it comes to rear bags, it really all just boils down to the performance of the fill. I have found that the Precision Underground fill is outstanding, and does exactly what I need it to do in a rear bag. It really locks the rifle in and is just the right consistency for fine elevation adjustments with my support hand.

I appreciate the good words guys. As a side note, make sure you read the tag and compress the bag as it says to. Watch the fill demo on the site and see how the top corners fold in on the stock. It makes a huge difference when it is done right. If it’s too short and you need more height, don’t try to compress it differently, send it back and let me adjust it. Priority envelopes are like $7 and that x2 is well worth having a bag that fits perfectly!

I just got my elr last week and got it out on the range and am really happy so far. I was using a Harris 9-13 which I think is just too tall, as I felt like I could get it locked in really good for one shot, but had to re-seat the butt firmly (to get the locking effect per the instructions) from shot to shot.

I've since swapped for a shorter bipod and put my angled bag rider on my krg, both of which I think should help immensely. If not, it's awesome to know that I can send it in and get the fill adjusted.

Very happy so far, and will report back after shooting with the improved set up.

Buy the bags and if you buy a shirt, get 1 size bigger. Got 7 bags I haven’t used since I got the PU rear bag.

I just got my elr last week and got it out on the range and am really happy so far. I was using a Harris 9-13 which I think is just too tall, as I felt like I could get it locked in really good for one shot, but had to re-seat the butt firmly (to get the locking effect per the instructions) from shot to shot.

I've since swapped for a shorter bipod and put my angled bag rider on my krg, both of which I think should help immensely. If not, it's awesome to know that I can send it in and get the fill adjusted.

Very happy so far, and will report back after shooting with the improved set up.
Nice! If you are having to squeeze way up after getting it compressed you prob need more height(or less bipod height as you said).

You prob know this stuff but these are a few things that can greatly affect how well you stay on target after a shot.
Make sure you are only squeezing front to back on the bag and not side to side. Make sure you are not “letting go” when you break the shot. Make sure your shoulder is relaxed so the recoil goes INTO you rather than bouncing off of you. Make sure you are not putting a ton of downward force on the stock with your cheek weld. Put just enough to get comfortable and to hold the stock steady.

Ok, so I played around with it a bit more this evening and the shorter bipod made a huge difference. I can tell a lot more of the fill is around the bag rider/butt and it absolutely isn't moving unless I want it too. Also, I couldn't use the short side if the bag at all before and now I can because the height difference isn't so extreme front to rear. Happy to get that versatility for sure.

Bag is legit and so is @Precision Underground for following up with tips and tricks.

With Compliments to Precision Underground!
From Bulgaria...

Bad ass my brother! That is some great shooting. I love seeing our gear in the wild. It looks like it has you really stable. You squeezed that one miss just a hair early, I know the feeling. On a swinger like that try putting your weak hand on the barricade and pressing out while the strong hand pulls the rifle into the shoulder. That gives me a little extra stability when the front rest itself isn't stable. Looks like that was one of those that is too low to stand but too high to be comfortable kneeling, those are the toughest for me.

Bad ass my brother! That is some great shooting. I love seeing our gear in the wild. It looks like it has you really stable. You squeezed that one miss just a hair early, I know the feeling. On a swinger like that try putting your weak hand on the barricade and pressing out while the strong hand pulls the rifle into the shoulder. That gives me a little extra stability when the front rest itself isn't stable. Looks like that was one of those that is too low to stand but too high to be comfortable kneeling, those are the toughest for me.
Thanks for the tips! I do follow most of what is written here and try to implement it in practice..

I consider the Recon Micro to be the best bag by far... I use it as a rear bag also. Combined with the Ckye pod, which can get really low, the Micro works excellent for me! My comparison is made against many other bags which I still own, but don't use any more, including Traust, Wiebad, Gamechanger and several european models..

I even use it with the carbon plate upside down and connected to my tripod, for shooting with rifles which are not ARCA compatible. It works like those Abel tables, much more stable than a VYCE clamp.

In our T-Class competitions, we have Patrol type reallocations with full gear, precision rifles etc, for several kilometres and I can not afford to carry more than one bag with me.

So, Recon Micro is the ONE!
Thanks Precision Underground!

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Thanks for the tips! I do follow most of what is written here and try to implement it in practice..

I consider the Recon Micro to be the best bag by far... I use it as a rear bag also. Combined with the Ckye pod, which can get really low, the Micro works excellent for me! My comparison is made against many other bags which I still own, but don't use any more, including Traust, Wiebad, Gamechanger and several european models..

I even use it with the carbon plate upside down and connected to my tripod, for shooting with rifles which are not ARCA compatible. It works like those Abel tables, much more stable than a VYCE clamp.

In our T-Class competitions, we have Patrol type reallocations with full gear, precision rifles etc, for several kilometres and I can not afford to carry more than one bag with me.

So, Recon Micro is the ONE!
Thanks Precision Underground!
Awesome man it makes my day to hear good reports. Keep up the good shooting!

So, what about the skinny on your ammo book? #of rounds, setup, material, and availability date?

Reactions: vortexyz
So, what about the skinny on your ammo book? #of rounds, setup, material, and availability date?
Man I have been too busy to design anything. Looking to do 100 rounds and be different than what’s out there so I have tried some different things. I’ve got some promising prototypes that just need to be refined.

I haven’t shot off of one of their bags yet but I am more than impressed with their customer service so far. Their full supplier was delayed in their shipment which delayed my 3D ELR. Their CS team has kept me in the know on the status and been more than apologetic. Glad to see a company to go above and beyond to keep their customers up to date when an unexpected delay happens. If the bag shoots well I will be purchasing additional

Armageddon Gear, Game changer . Useful for absolutely anything. Great rear bag! Great “anything” bag.

Man I have been too busy to design anything. Looking to do 100 rounds and be different than what’s out there so I have tried some different things. I’ve got some promising prototypes that just need to be refined.

I'd like to express additional interest in the ammo book. I have a TAB gear binder, and while the hard sides/dope card slot/stretchy cord closure are great, its only 40 rounds, and we all know how long 40 rounds lasts... It also doesn't fit my .223 shells. If you ever start making these, I'll plunk down for two (one for the 6.5, one for the little guy).

I'll look into it more, still debating. The Recon mini is just as stable as the Recon?

I have a recon mini, with the lightweight fill. I use it as a front bag off barricades, trees, trucks, whatever. It's rock solid, and when I'm on the bench, its a pretty sweet rear bag. PrecisionUnderground offered to do a more stable, heavier fill, if you're into that - and they're communication and customer service is top notch.
The recon mini is my favourite shooting support. Cant say enough about the fit/finish/stability. I dont have a rail on my rifle, but if I did, I would be really tempted by the arca/pic rail mount as well...

Reactions: vortexyz
I'd like to express additional interest in the ammo book. I have a TAB gear binder, and while the hard sides/dope card slot/stretchy cord closure are great, its only 40 rounds, and we all know how long 40 rounds lasts... It also doesn't fit my .223 shells. If you ever start making these, I'll plunk down for two (one for the 6.5, one for the little guy).

I have a recon mini, with the lightweight fill. I use it as a front bag off barricades, trees, trucks, whatever. It's rock solid, and when I'm on the bench, its a pretty sweet rear bag. PrecisionUnderground offered to do a more stable, heavier fill, if you're into that - and they're communication and customer service is top notch.
The recon mini is my favourite shooting support. Cant say enough about the fit/finish/stability. I dont have a rail on my rifle, but if I did, I would be really tempted by the arca/pic rail mount as well...
Thank you sir! And thanks for answering the question I missed! Yes it is just as stable as the full size. The only disadvantage to the full size is if you need to fill a huge gap with the bag, then the larger bag wins. But to me the benefits to the mini are well worth giving that one aspect up. I have never been in a situation where I wished I had something else.

Last edited:
I appreciate the good words guys. As a side note, make sure you read the tag and compress the bag as it says to. Watch the fill demo on the site and see how the top corners fold in on the stock. It makes a huge difference when it is done right. If it’s too short and you need more height, don’t try to compress it differently, send it back and let me adjust it. Priority envelopes are like $7 and that x2 is well worth having a bag that fits perfectly!

Is there a discount code for Hide members?

Reactions: giantsfall
@Precision Underground
If I could only choose one bag for now, what would be your choice. I plan on using it as a rear bag, I’m tired of using a sock filled of rice! My bipod height goes 4.75-9” if that means anything.

@Precision Underground
If I could only choose one bag for now, what would be your choice. I plan on using it as a rear bag, I’m tired of using a sock filled of rice! My bipod height goes 4.75-9” if that means anything.
It really depends on your use. If you are just static target shooting from a bipod the 3d ELR is the cadillac of rear bags. If you want something a little smaller/more mobile the ELR is it. I actually prefer the ELR over the 3d but I always like smaller as long as it is stable. It is def stable- see the demo video on the site. If you are shooting comps or hunting with it and want to use it in the front I would go Recon Mini for sure. That or the Micro with arca base. The micro is a dedicated front bag though. It is not really big enough to use in the rear.

It really depends on your use. If you are just static target shooting from a bipod the 3d ELR is the cadillac of rear bags. If you want something a little smaller/more mobile the ELR is it. I actually prefer the ELR over the 3d but I always like smaller as long as it is stable. It is def stable- see the demo video on the site. If you are shooting comps or hunting with it and want to use it in the front I would go Recon Mini for sure. That or the Micro with arca base. The micro is a dedicated front bag though. It is not really big enough to use in the rear.

I definitely plan on getting a front bag from you eventually, so this would just be a dedicated rear bag. What do you mean by a more mobile bag? I’m fairly new to this, and the only “bag” I’ve ever used was a sock. I plan on doing competitions later, but by that time I’m sure I’ll have purchased your other bags by then. Right now it’s just shooting prone, and taking my time honing my technique. From what it seems the 3D elr will fit it best, correct?

I definitely plan on getting a front bag from you eventually, so this would just be a dedicated rear bag. What do you mean by a more mobile bag? I’m fairly new to this, and the only “bag” I’ve ever used was a sock. I plan on doing competitions later, but by that time I’m sure I’ll have purchased your other bags by then. Right now it’s just shooting prone, and taking my time honing my technique. From what it seems the 3D elr will fit it best, correct?
The 3d is just bigger so more to carry around. You can't go wrong with either it's just a matter of personal preference. The 3d probably would be easier to shoot well with for a beginner just due to the larger size.

The 3d is just bigger so more to carry around. You can't go wrong with either it's just a matter of personal preference. The 3d probably would be easier to shoot well with for a beginner just due to the larger size.

Sounds good, I’ll be placing my order for the 3D tonight!

so where does the mini ELR fit in?

smaller hands? or specifically for standard style stocks/lower bipods as stated on website?

any further details or opinions would be appreciated

so where does the mini ELR fit in?

smaller hands? or specifically for standard style stocks/lower bipods as stated on website?

any further details or opinions would be appreciated
ELR Mini is just a smaller option in cases where the full size holds the stock too high. This will be 100% dependent on bipod height, stock design, and typical target height/shooting angle. 99% of people have used the standard size with great results. I may have swapped out 3-4 for minis in the last few months. And that is out of hundreds shipped.