• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PredatOBR 7.62 - first Range Report

mkollman74

Quo Vadis?
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 5, 2009
    WA, USA
    So, I had the opportunity to finally get my new 'tOBR to the range to zero and see what she can do. I recently sold my OBR to another 'Hide member in order to fund this purchase. I got to the range today with my good friend JD Thomas of High Speed Shooting Systems, and we had a little fun. After obtaining a zero, I thought I'd see how this beautifully machined rifle would do - having no real idea what to expect. I used the leftover handloads I worked up for my old OBR: LC LR brass, 44.4 Varget, 175SMK, FED210M.
    Group.JPG
    Disclaimers:

• Yes, I am aware it is "only" a 3 shot group
    • No, I don't believe I can do this "all day long"

I do however, believe that this is a good indication of the potential this gun has to perform. 0.213 center to center from a bipod and rear bag. I am happy!

Last edited:
    congrats on the new tOBR. You should check out the 30 rd. Shootout challenge and look at the groups some people are putting up with their 7.62 Larue's. Round 5 should be starting soon I suspect.

Wow, very nice group. Looks like you have a great setup. What scope / mount are you using?

Awwwwww. Come on! If you do your part I bet you can do that all day long.

But seriously. Don't shoot it again and you can honestly say "Every time I shoot it, it produces these kind of groups."

That is a good feeling to use older reloads and see those king of results. Good luck in the future.

Ryan

Awesome group...

I get my tOBR on Tuesday...was supposed to be this week but had to travel. It has been sitting at my FFLs waiting.

What are you using for optics? I still have not decided.

BR,

It was a big deal for LaRue to bring their own barrel-making in house. I suspect Mark got tired of dealing with the way that some barrels will just shoot, then throw an oddball 1.5 MOA group on you for no apparent reason.

Rifle builders don't normally have barrel-making capability in house. Looks like LaRue made a very bold move, and from what I'm seeing so far, it's going to pay off. There's a great article in Sniper Magazine about this, and they had a lot of great things to say about the PredatOBR.

I came to the conclusion that most gun rags should be placed by the toilet paper section in grocery stores, but this Sniper Magazine is a rare exception, with excellent authorship, and no-BS articles written by guys like Kyle Lamb, Tom Beckstrand, Todd Hodnett, Jeff Hoffman, and Jason Teague.

Looking forward to seeing how this rifle does at distance.

Good for you. I'm not happy with Larue, I had bought many mounts, etc over the years from them. I ordered an OBR in 2012,, followed up over a year later to check status (I knew they were busy) and was told, very briefly that no order would be shipped to CT. So I guess if I decide to get one I'll just by it elsewhere, pretty sad.

Good for you. I'm not happy with Larue, I had bought many mounts, etc over the years from them. I ordered an OBR in 2012,, followed up over a year later to check status (I knew they were busy) and was told, very briefly that no order would be shipped to CT. So I guess if I decide to get one I'll just by it elsewhere, pretty sad.

Sorry to say that you live in an anti-second amendment state. A year after you ordered is when the new laws went into effect in CT. I would be surprised if any SA would meet this criteria. Not saying that you should not have been promptly informed. That is definitely not cool.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms/assault_weapons.pdf

These laws totally suck. I feel bad for you.

BR,

It was a big deal for LaRue to bring their own barrel-making in house. I suspect Mark got tired of dealing with the way that some barrels will just shoot, then throw an oddball 1.5 MOA group on you for no apparent reason.

Rifle builders don't normally have barrel-making capability in house. Looks like LaRue made a very bold move, and from what I'm seeing so far, it's going to pay off. There's a great article in Sniper Magazine about this, and they had a lot of great things to say about the PredatOBR.

I came to the conclusion that most gun rags should be placed by the toilet paper section in grocery stores, but this Sniper Magazine is a rare exception, with excellent authorship, and no-BS articles written by guys like Kyle Lamb, Tom Beckstrand, Todd Hodnett, Jeff Hoffman, and Jason Teague.

Looking forward to seeing how this rifle does at distance.

Agree, agree, and agree. I will post up when I get a chance to go longer. I'll also try to do 4 or 5 5-shot groups on the same target to get a better reference of overall accuracy. I just hope I am having a good enough day not to bugger it up...