• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Predator hunting tips/techniques

Bigbrotheretter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Washington,
Alright tomorrow im going coyote hunting before we cut wood. How loud do you guys set your calls at? How long do you wait before running each call? Any other little tips i should know before tomorrow.
-This is not a photography thread to post your pictures of how many coyotes/predators you have killed, i would like to keep this to a information thread. Thank you!-

Re: Predator hunting tips/techniques

i just came from a 3 day hunt. one thing i learned this year is to start the call off low volume.

the dog wasn't too far away, and the sound overpowered the noise of the coyote running at me. it ran 20 yards behind me, couldn't hear it until it jumped the road and ran off.

i run a call (depending on what it is) for about 30 to 45 seconds. then listen and look. wait 5-7 minutes, and start over for about 30 minutes, then move to a new location about a 1000yards away and repeat.

scent is super important, try to stay as scent free as possible. watch for an approaching coyote from downwind, unless they are extrememly hungry or not hunted much in your area, they will usually approach from downwind. sometimes i'll set the call up and face the OPPOSITE direction because of that.

a decoy is nice to distract the coyote from you.

don't get discouraged, these things are one of the smartest things in the woods and will take you to school.

I believe coyote hunting tips are generalized and you will have to spend a bit of time stalking them to figure out how they act in your area. I hunt them hear in central washington, we have had a mild winter this year and there isn't alot of snow so food is readily available. With the full winter coat on the dogs they tend to perform a slow stalk with the warmer temps right now as to prevent overheating I suppose. I would analyze the pressure on the dogs and the food source available. Lately, I have had dogs sit back and watch me call for an hour and never come close to being interested in a distress. Here, at daybreak or dusk I'll howl to locate any coyotes in the area. If I overdue it they will make me so I use the howl for a brief session. Once I get a response Ill make the decision on what distress I want to run. If starting out without a howl I usually start very quiet with a mouse squeeker. Ill give it a minute and give another squeek then a few minute break before starting any "distress" calls. The most important thing in the flat sage areas is to slow down and analyze the area prior to calling. Ive blown potential kills at 100 yards because I was in too big of a hurry starting out. I might be starting to ramble! If you have any specifics dont hesitate to ask.

Im assuming you're using that howa 25-06... Very capable rifles. I have 2, one in 22-250 and one in .223 along with a new weatherby sub moa in 22-250 which is made by howa. Just experimenting with hand loads Im getting .640 groups already with the 22-250, not bad for a 400 dollar rifle and 200 dollar scope.

Me and my dad live right neer bellevue washington... we cant find much land to hunt around herre thats public and good for coyotes. Do you know of any places? I know you prolly dont wanna ruin your "good" spots... Yea right now were using a Remington sps in 257weatherbymag, and im using my 10/22. (my howa isnt sited in yet) i have got some handloads to try out as well
for call sequences how do you do them? Like a certain order/routine?
thanks a lot for the help!

Learn to howl--that's the ace-in-the-hole, that will work for locating and oftentimes calling. This is especially useful in areas that get a lot of pressure.

I primarily use a distress mouth call here in the south and usually start off on the lower end of volume and gradually increase if I get no response. I call for about 45 seconds and wait 10-15 minutes between. I use this technique mainly in heavy timber set-ups.

If I know a pack is located in timber/brushy area near a large field, I have had good luck in waiting til dusk and howling. On more than one occasion I have had the whole pack respond. Now that's a rush!!

I did a call set up on a potential den sight in the eastern cascade range using the howler to draw them out. I played with that pack for days. If I was too close they wouldn't respond and if I was too far they wouldn't show. It took the right amount of howling and squalling to get them excited and on the run.

Forest, if you are looking for land... Any state land here in central washington is loaded with coyotes. Its about the dedication you wish to give towards your hunt. I enjoy the flat areas for coyotes but with the light winter you may try going a little higher where the snow is thick. My property backs state land so we have endless shooting opportunities. Asking permission is the easiest way most of the time. Most of the farmers will gladly let you remove their coyotes. Some of my neigbors have begun charging people a trespass fee which I think is a bunch of crap.

One big tip... use a decoy if you are using mouth calls, chances are they will see you before you see them!

electric calls on low, mouth call for the high volume stuff!

Showgun thanks for the advice!
Everyone thanks!
Me and my dad have a weyerhouser permit.. There is a couple spots in there where it could be some good hunting.. For densly thick woods what do you guys recommend?
I got my Howa topped with a 3-9x.
Or a 12 and 20ga?
I was thinking of getting some 00 buck?