• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing prefered 6.5 hunting bullet

I can imagine not! Thats a lot of penetrating to do for a little bullet.

She hasn't taken any frontal shots. I'd rather not deal with shot up guts. She drew a buck tag this year so hopefully we'll add another critter to the data set.

The 6.5mm swift scirocco 2 is a fantastic bullet on deer and elk. I'm shooting them in 6.5 saum. Another good bullet for Coyotes to deer is the JLK unfortunately swampy is no longer with us. I did take a moose with a 130 jlk at 250yds and it just pumped out and flipped over backwards in 3 or 4 steps. It looked like a water hose of blood from both sides. Pretty incredible.

Stick with a bonded bullet like the scirocco or ablr on your thick skinned heavy boned critters.

Xdeano

I am looking into the new Berger 156gr. EOL Hunter bullet, I want to try heavy for caliber bullets especially when it comes to Elk.
I have shot several Elk with medium weight bullets out of a 7mm STW over the last many years.
Shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor with it's slower velocity may help on deeper penetration, a pass through if possible for a blood trail to follow.
Hope to pick some up this weekend.

I know it's technically not a hunting bullet (and yes I've taken all the arguments into consideration), but nevertheless I decided to try the 140gr ELD-Match for hunting last season. Took 2 elk, one shot each at 200-300 yds. It's nice to have the same bullet, load, etc for both match and hunting.
Match bullets are not designed for hunting, they work...sometimes.
Match bullets are designed for paper and steel not flesh and bone.
You may get one that will look like textbook expansion, the next one may pass through like an AP round, or you may have one splash on the hide like a varmint bullet.
I have read about glowing reports on Sierra Gamekings or Tipped Game Kings, ELD-M's and other match bullets so Why not use a match style made for flesh and bone like a Sierra Game King, Hornady ELD-X or other accurate Big Game bullets?

Match bullets are not designed for hunting, they work...sometimes.
Match bullets are designed for paper and steel not flesh and bone.
You may get one that will look like textbook expansion, the next one may pass through like an AP round, or you may have one splash on the hide like a varmint bullet.
I have read about glowing reports on Sierra Gamekings or Tipped Game Kings, ELD-M's and other match bullets so Why not use a match style made for flesh and bone like a Sierra Game King, Hornady ELD-X or other accurate Big Game bullets?
Almost every rifle and load I use for hunting is a "match" bullet. They work phenomenally as long as you put it where it needs to go. But even a "hunting" bullet won't work with poor shot placement. We have used "match" bullets for the past 18 years on almost everything we have hunted. From coyotes to elk, and jackrabbits to deer.

We just put two good pronghorns down with a 6.5mm 130 OTM @ 391, and a 6mm 105 Hybrid @ 440 this week. Neither one moved a step. 1 shot each, and DRT.

Vote for Sierra Game Kings. Shot them for years out of .308 and now 6.5. Place them right and brown goes down, but that can be said for lots of bullets. Just never had a complaint with SGK's

Reactions: lancetkenyon