• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prefered case: Soft or hard sided?

Mn_Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
Minnesota
You're off to the range, you grab a couple rifles out of the safe, but what travel case(s) do you grab? Hard case, Pelican style or soft sided, drag bag style?

Which to you prefer and why?

Re: Prefered case: Soft or hard sided?

I like a drag bag. I can fit my rifle, suppressor, ammo, log book, rear bag, rangfinder, Kestrel, etc into it and then wear it to my firing position like a backpack. I have a Storm case, and it is really nice, but bulky and heavy. I don't feel I need the added protection, so it is a bit impractical.

I saw the Eagle bags on special at Natchez... Those are long gone... And I think they were just soft cases.

For a drag bag, what would you recommend? Any special features you specifically look for?

I don't own a hard case, not even for my bow. Room and convenience being the main reasons. I like the Eagle 49" scoped rifle case a lot. I prefer to have all my range crap in a back pack, so I have no use for drag bag style cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">soft for 95% of the time, Pelican for flying </div></div>

Same for me.
I've got a couple of Eagle bags for range trips. They've got plenty of padding for throwing behind the truck seat.
I got the Pelican a while back because I was tired of the airlines breaking the cheaper hard cases.

I have an Accuracy International hard case for my AI. It holds everything but is an absolute Beast for the range. It is great for long distance travel and protection though. I would not invest the money in one of these unless you fly a lot or use military transport and throw the case on a pallet of other gear.

I use other soft ballistic cases and am currently waiting for two new drag bags. One a Tac Ops and the other a Grand River Tactical which I felt were the two best drag bags out there after doing my research.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spotswood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an Accuracy International hard case for my AI. It holds everything but is an absolute Beast for the range. It is great for long distance travel and protection though. I would not invest the money in one of these unless you fly a lot or use military transport and throw the case on a pallet of other gear.

I use other soft ballistic cases and am currently waiting for two new drag bags. One a Tac Ops and the other a Grand River Tactical which I felt were the two best drag bags out there after doing my research.
</div></div>

Which model from Grand River Tactical did you go with?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">soft for 95% of the time, Pelican for flying </div></div>

^^ This! ^^ (Except I am not set on just Pelican cases for hard cases as I also have Storm/Hardigg and Starlight cases too).

Soft sided case, special ruck for mat and gear, craftsman mechanics bag for ammo and lunch. I carry a couple of hundred rounds to the range. My 45 and a couple of hundred rounds fit in as well if I am making a day of it.

Flying is with a hardsided case that doesnt look like it holds two rifles. Stealthy n shit.

I have two TABs rifle case for transporting everywhere but flying. Tony stitch up PALS along the side for MOLLE pouches. I have endless options using MOLLE kit.

Wrapped around the pop gun.
010.jpg

At the range, I use it the same when prone. All kit is easily accessed while prone.
006.jpg

My backpack sits vertical next to the action of my rifle (not like it is shown in this picture) so spent brass hit it, roll down onto the rifle case, while not so much needed to do this at the range but on the tundra and snow, brass is not easy to find.
004.jpg

I have a Ford F350 with the super cab which allows me to place soft cased guns in the back floor section of this rear cab section. I purchased this configuration with my gun needs foremost in mind. For my bolt action rifles I have the Eagle HSRC bag/mat soft case inside a Pelican 1750 with all the foam removed. For short trips to my local range I just use the HSRC bag. Longer overnight excursions the Eagle in the Pelican. I'm not too keen on using foam, especially for longer term storage.

i love the hard cases but thats just me. its safe for my rifle and it basically only gets carried to the car then to shooting station or whatever. so weight isnt any issue.

I've used the cheap semi hard side cases, soft cases and Pelican type HD cases. I prefer a nice soft side case. The Midway drag bag case is really nice for like $50 - $80 depending if they are on sale. I can get two full size rifles and very nicely made.

Cabelas had a sale on their Pelican cases last week and with the coupons you get in the mail you can get one for under $200. You just have to cut out the foam to fit everything in there. I used Pelican cases in the military and they are darn near indestructable.

For the range, drag bag with one rifle. If two then a drag bag and a TAB cover.

Hard cases are saved for flying or driving distance where I want to lock it up.

Top notch soft LONG rifle cases made by Triple X can be found at Shoot-Long.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the range, drag bag with one rifle. If two then a drag bag and a TAB cover.

Hard cases are saved for flying or driving distance where I want to lock it up.</div></div>

.......yes!

I am building a PRSM bag/mat. Very soon GRT and I will customize the inside pockets for my needs. I also plan to add outside removable straps so that I can wear it as a pack.
It will work for both an AI AW or an AR15 when I am done with it.
Gary

i only use my hard cases when traveling, otherwise i use dragbags

I have a mix of hard and soft side. For my rifles with decent optics, I usually have them in a hard case since they ride in the bed of my truck. For my shorter/no optic sticks I have soft cases to throw them in.

I use an Eagle discreet carry bag. When it's time to travel long distances I have a Pelican with foam removed. The Eagle soft case fits inside the pelican perfectly and provides a decent amount of cushion.I kept the foam and can put it in whenever needed.

I like the Eagle SR cases. They are cheaper than an actual drag bag and don't have the drag bag features that I don't really want or need, but they're still built to Eagle standards.

I have a hard case, in my storage unit, that I haven't used in at least 5 years.

Hard Case is the norm for me.
Like to throw it in the back of the pickup and go.
The case never leaves the pickup until I get back to the House / Hotel.
A drag bag holds a ton of stuff and is convienent, but doesn't offer enough protection for me during transport.
Come to think of it, I'm not sure where my drag bag is at the moment...

Another option is stripping the foam out of the case and just put your drag bag in the hard case.
I do this with my M4 discrete carry bag all the time.

I've been using Pelican 1720/1750, that way I can put anything I want in it and just throw and go without having to worry about how I stack gear or where to put it.