• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Preferred Barrel Thread for Brake/Supressor?

MaverickNH

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2010
Bedford, NH
SO my Rem700P 308 26" barrel is tapered, so no clamp-on brake for me. I see brakes like the Badger Thruster come in 3 threadings.

3/4-28
5/8-24
3/4-24

Is one preferred over another should I later swap out to a supressor? That would be the plan, but the cost/paperwork make take a while.

Re: Preferred Barrel Thread for Brake/Supressor?

What are the threading options for the can you eventually want? 5/8-24 is by far the most common for .30 cal rifles, but quite a few will opt for the 3/4 threadings as many like more meat around the muzzle. But if its a sporter taper barrel you may be limited by the diameter of the existing muzzle. Its easy to remove material/reduce diameter, but we've yet to figure out how add diameter. This isn't just a concern in the area of enough diameter to accomodate the major dia. of the threads, but also to have enough meat to produce a suitable shoulder to index off of.

The only reason I might opt for the 3/4x24 for a .308 barrel is if I was planning on running a .338 cal suppressor on it since most .338 cans are more commonly threaded in 3/4x24 for direct mounts or for 3/4x24 QD suppressor mounted brakes instead of more common .30 cal threading of 5/8x24.

In my shop we opt for the largest od thread we can get away with for a given application.

Influencing factors:

1. Barrel contour.
2. Caliber.
3. Cartridge.

For example, a light barrel in 30 chambered in a 300 WM. A very common rifle for hunting. Keeping as much wall thickness as possible helps to fend off a crown that may start to bellmouth over time.

Using this as a guide has historically worked for us. The guns stay accurate till the throat burns up.

Hope this helped.

C.

Barrel taper:

0" - 0.820
1/2" - 0.830
1.0" - 0.832
1.5" - 0.834
2.0" - 0.836

So I could do 3/4 or 5/8, right? I can see the preference for 3/4" as thicker.