• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Premier Reticle 1.1-8 scope

looey

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2009
Chesapeake Va
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this scope? I have a 1.1-4 S&B short dot but i wanted more magnification, I know S&B is coming out with a 1.1-9 but i was wondering about the Premier Reticles scope.

Re: Premier Reticle 1.1-8 scope

Actually S&B's scope is a true 1x to 8x. Not a 1.1-9. They should be hitting the market in the next month or so. Can't wait to get mine.

Do you have a link to it?
I am trying to decide one the S&B 1-8 or the premier reticle? I like the Reticle on the Premier were you can go from first focal plain to second when you need to work up close.
i don't know if the S&B is going to have an option like that or what kind of reticle are they going to have on the scope, i love the CQB reticle that comes on the 1.1-4 short dot?

I found a video of the 1-8S&B on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxmrxGwSlI0
I was wondering if he did a mistake on what he said about the red dot being placed on the first focal plain versus the second focal plain?
but the scope looks sick!!! cant wait until it comes out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They should be hitting the market in the next month or so. Can't wait to get mine. </div></div>

The would be great but I think I was told September.

Mike @ CST

Premier V8 1.1-8x24mm
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OT2DmtioSBk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OT2DmtioSBk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Schmidt & Bender's 1-8x24mm
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0_d4X5sfDuE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0_d4X5sfDuE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Mike @ CST

Mike I was told end of July to August by our rep but I'd wait to Sept for it without a problem. I love my 1.1-4x and can't wait to get the 1-8x from S&B. The true 1x is nice to have when needed.

Looey the dot is in SFP and the reticle is in FFP.

put my name down too, I should be back by november.
so which way are you leaning to? S&B or Premier?
I cant make up my mind, I guess i will have to see the price of the S&B.
does any one know what kind of reticle is the 1-8 S&B going to come with?

The first of the Premier 1.1-8x24 will be finished in a couple of weeks.

We decided to drop the parallax adjustment that was present on the Prototype we showed at SHOT and IWA because parallax proved to be a non-issue with this scope. The illumination control will be lockable at any setting, just like the elevation and windage turrets, with the controls being unlocked by pulling them out and locked by pushing them in. No spring-loaded mechanism, so you are able to dial in your desired settings without pulling the knob at the same time.
Leverlocks for toolless rezero are of course also implemented in the turrets.

The scope will come in CCW/MRAD configuration. The FFP Gen2 CQB reticle is illuminated from 8-3x (whole center portion illuminated so use of the mildot reticle under poor light conditions is possible), from 1.1-3x there is a red dot projected into the second focal plane. Switching between the two reticles is automatic by turning the power ring. With the illuminated reticle switched on, illumination will switch between FFP mildot reticle and SFP red dot depending on power setting.

By the way, magnification was measured as 1,06x om low power. At 1,05x we could have called it "1x". We think that the generous eyebox and superior image quality (sharpness across the FOV and low distortion) at low power are more important than "straight 1x" and we received goot feedbback at the shows regarding "quick&dirty" target acquisition on low power.

By the way, I wonder how many of those who praise the S&B here have actually looked through one of the prototypes at SHOT or IWA?

I've seen the PDF file drawing of the Gen2 CQB reticle, but I would be very interested in having some through the scope pictures to compare to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

By the way, I wonder how many of those who praise the S&B here have actually looked through one of the prototypes at SHOT or IWA?
</div></div>

I have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen the PDF file drawing of the Gen2 CQB reticle, but I would be very interested in having some through the scope pictures to compare to.</div></div>
Sure, but I only have pics of the very first prototype takiken under less than ideal lighting conditions, so please disregard the color cast in the images. You can also see what an 8x zoom ratio without tunneling effect means, but don't judge image quality by these pictures. This is just for reference regarding the reticle.

PremierV8-11x.jpg

PremierV8-8x.jpg

That is an interesting reticle, David.

As for S&B scope at SHOT, I saw it and was quite underwhelmed, but S&B said it was a prototype. We'll see what a production version looks like.

At some point it will be itneresting to try to put the 1-8x versions or Premier, S&B and Leupold side-by-side.

ILya

Thanks David!

I would like to see the comparison, but also hear from knowledgeable users on how important the "true" 1X really is, not only compared to 1.1X but also similar scopes with higher magnifications at the lower zoom range (but large FOV) like 1.5-2.5X.

It seems to me that the longer scopes (needed for higher magnification than say 1-4X) are always going to have a much more restricted FOV, smaller exit pupil, and of course fixed eye relief and have to align the eye to the sight compared to a red dot sight. How much you loose at close range is the question...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems to me that the longer scopes (needed for higher magnification than say 1-4X) are always going to have a much more restricted FOV, smaller exit pupil, and of course fixed eye relief and have to align the eye to the sight compared to a red dot sight. How much you loose at close range is the question... </div></div>

TiroFijo,

the Premier 1.1-8x24 (and the S&B probably as well, to be fair) actually has a <span style="font-style: italic">larger</span> FOV on low power than a 1.1-4x Short Dot for example.

Your observation regarding the smaller exit pupil is correct though, scopes with higher zoom ration tend to have smaller exit pupils on low power. With 9.5mm exit pupil and generous and very tolerant eye relief (there is a 20mm tolerance range for axial eye placement!), I think we are doing pretty well in comparison to similar scopes.

If it turns out to be as good as the one I tried at SHOT it should be a smash. I liked it more than the 1-8x S&B that I tried at SHOT. At the lowest power setting, I was able get really quick acquisition of the red dot. The scope not being true 1x didn't present any kind of problem for me in terms of quick target acquisition.

Then the Premier seems to not have the "tunnel" effect at low power.. is it the same with the SB??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then the Premier seems to not have the "tunnel" effect at low power.. is it the same with the SB??</div></div>
Their 1-8x scopes shown at SHOT and IWA had a slight tunneling effect on low power, not nearly as bad as their 5-25x though.

How long before it can be purchased ? what will it cost ?

I just placed my pre-order for one of the V8s. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Should be coming any day now. Any update on the first run David?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuckner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should be coming any day now. Any update on the first run David? </div></div>

I sure would like to hear first field report on this one.

I was on-board for the PR V8 1.1-8x up until I saw that it only had 17MRAD of elevation travel. With a 20MOA canted base, it'll be fine for 900+yds, but if I don't get a canted mount, I'm a little bit concerned.
The S&B has 30MRAD of elevation travel, which I KNOW will get to the longer ranges.

I have several more months to ponder this, I guess.

I got an email from Premier confirming a September / October delivery date. He said that they "had some issues with a special piece of glass used to project the red dot" but that they are now on track.

USACS, how much elevation travel do you need for a 1.1-8 power optic?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Price?
That is one BUSY reticle... </div></div>

The main black part of the photo is the reticle not all the other lines. That looks to be a collimator.

Here is a link to it our website.
Premier Heritage 1.1-8x24 Tactical Scope

Mike @ CST

Still have my pre-order in. Wondering on an update as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is an interesting reticle, David.

As for S&B scope at SHOT, I saw it and was quite underwhelmed, but S&B said it was a prototype. We'll see what a production version looks like.

At some point it will be interesting to try to put the 1-8x versions or Premier, S&B and Leupold side-by-side.

ILya </div></div>

Looking forward to this comparison, perhaps throw in the Horus Blackbird to add to the 1x8's and the old S&B 1x4 for a baseline.
edit, and the March 1x10

Can't say I'd see the need for a 175 mil holdover point, which is exactly what I counted to on the 1x picture. That reticle would be so much cleaner without all the hash marks on the heavy lines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is an interesting reticle, David.

At some point it will be interesting to try to put the 1-8x versions or Premier, S&B and Leupold side-by-side.

ILya </div></div>

Looking forward to this comparison, perhaps throw in the Horus Blackbird to add to the 1x8's and the old S&B 1x4 for a baseline.
edit, and the March 1x10 </div></div>

Depending on what feedback I get at SHOT, I'll try to put together a thorough comparison of various 1-8x (or similar) scopes some time next year, depending on availability. So far, the suitable candidates seem to be: Premier V8, S&B, Leupold CQBSS and March 1-10x.

We'll see if anything else pops up at SHOT that is worthwhile.

ILya

Sounds like a great line up. I am in the market to upgrade some glass.

This is a very interesting post. I'd like to have more info if someone have any news.
PR 1-8x is my idea for my remington r25 hunting and target job.

Searching online i found some info but these are different from premier announce.
http://www.premierreticles.com/new/
stats.png

Picture are different, elevetion range too...
Premier_Heritage_4e7044018f962.jpg

newproducts_gradient.png

Please give me some info if you have
smile.gif

Thank you

They need to put a Gen2 XR or similar reticle in this that can be used for hold-overs and hold-offs. A setup like the new Leupold CQBSS with H27-D. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

I had heard that this went back to design to make it a true 1x scope, looks like they have made some adjustments if the new picture there is what it is going to look like. I like the shorter turrets and larger adjustment ring.

The scope has been redesigned as seen in the first picture with true 1x magnification, shorter overall length, wider adjustment ring, lower turrets (with SKC mechanism) and lighter weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The scope has been redesigned as seen in the first picture with true 1x magnification, shorter overall length, wider adjustment ring, lower turrets (with SKC mechanism) and lighter weight. </div></div>

What is the release time frame if you happen to know? Before the SB:)?

thank you all for these info!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The scope has been redesigned as seen in the first picture with true 1x magnification, shorter overall length, wider adjustment ring, lower turrets (with SKC mechanism) and lighter weight. </div></div>

Do you have an updated weight you can share?

These are the weights I can find for the current 1-8 candidates:

Leupold CQBSS 23.2 oz

S&B 1-8x24 short dot 23.1 oz

PH V8 1-8 24.7 oz

I would have sworn the CQBSS would have been much heavier in comparison.

Are they going to offer more reticle options with the re-design? Seriously, put a Gen2 XR in that thing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are they going to offer more reticle options with the re-design? Seriously, put a Gen2 XR in that thing! </div></div>

I'm not sure that it would work. When I was hunting for a scope I came across this thread that had Gen2 XR reticle at different magnifications. At 8x you can start to see the reticle, but that would be at max magnification for the 1.1-8 scope.

SH Thread with Gen2 XR pictures

For me one of the keys is having a reticle that works at 1X without the assistance of a battery powered red-dot.

If the battery dies, I want a reticle that still works at low magnification.

Last aimpoint i had was able to alive 6 or 7 years powered on, the red dot could be out of service, or out of battery but the % is really decreased in the last years.
imho

If soldiers rely on Aimpoint RDs that need batteries to work, IMO the battery issues with the Premier and S&B are minor - just replace them if the dot starts to dim or keep a spare handy. Someone makes a scope with a spare battery compartment, maybe it's Premier.