• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Preppers and their .22's!

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    I don't get it....I was working in Minnesotta last month and our safety guy was a devout survivalist/prepper, and animate about it. He went on a rant about guns insisting all a man needs is a .22lr to handle any disaster or survival situation. He stated he sold all of his other firearms to purchase ammunition for his ruger 10/22.

I confronted him about the prospect of self defense or shooting large game, and he simply kept stating, "I'll just shoot'm in the head." It was obvious there was no arguing with this dude, so I just shrugged and let him go on with his retardation.

Later I dicked around on some survivalists boards and was alarmed to see how many people were on board with owning just a .22. Yeah I know, cheap, carry lots of ammo, yah, yah. But if they're so magical, why isn't the military using them, or why aren't all hunting rifles chambered in .22lr?

Well, that's my rant, just wondering what your thoughts were on the subject.
    Take care!

Re: Preppers and their .22's!

.22s kill people. They kill deer. They kill everything under that size as well. Is it the BEST round for the job? No. Your range is limited and your accuracy has to be better (unless you want to chase your prey down for a week as it slowly dies of infection). But if you absolutely have to have one single gun, the .22 is hard to beat. Quiet, deadly, plentiful, and as you said, you can easily carry lots of ammo!

When the crap hits the fan, I'll probably be tired of picking up .22's by day 3.
    smile.gif

My favorite is that prepper show, dipshit and his wife stand about 50 yards from their storage container contrapted house and open up with 22"s to check for penetration. It withstood the the onslaught, whoopee!
    Viewing this horseshit, and youtube vids, I understand why there is a antigun lobby, FUCK.
    My rant.

.22 LR in the eye. End of discussion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.22 LR in the eye. End of discussion. </div></div>
    This is one most of us can pull off at 200 yards.
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But if they're so magical, why isn't the military using them
    </div></div>

Because the military gets their ammo for free...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.22 LR in the eye. End of discussion. </div></div>

Okay, I got this. Somebody else deal with the barkless chihuahuas.

L0GZo.jpg

If you're going to have just one firearm a 22 is a good choice. I'd go with 12g but whatever. Cheap to buy, easy to maintain, cheap ammo, easy/cheap practice (really a key IMHO), and if SHTF there will probably be a lot of 22 ammo to scavenge.

I'll have a supressed 22 short for hunting small game without drawing attention to where I am, but the M4gery and 12 guage are never far away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go with 12g but whatever.</div></div>

Shotgun shells are heavy and bulky, and just the thing if you want zero flexibility in your overburdened approach to knocking down walls and Hollywood bad guys. Of course, if you have a zombie slave pushing your wheelbarrow around ...

crazy.gif

Who the hell ever said you have to have what the military has to survive in these situations. The .22 will get you a long ways to collecting game and yes can and will kill someone. No one is claiming it is the ULTIMATE man killer but optimal when talking about a single caliber you can have IF you must choose only one. For the OP think about what you are really saying about military running .22's and all hunting rifles. You are taking it a little too serious.

22lr is USELESS....... I have no idear why anyone would even own one.
    338Lap FTMFW!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadeye351</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22lr is USELESS....... I have no idear why anyone would even own one.
    338Lap FTMFW!!! </div></div>

+1, BUMP, TTT

22 is the one round your going to find in almost every house in the country, ( - the republic of California ) So when my M4 runs out I'll know I have options. lol

If I could only have one, .22 would not be it. If I can only have two, a .22 will most likely be one of them. Self defense is top priority. Food gathering is second. Whatever I use for self defense could be used to gather food, but a .22 would be cleaner, more efficient, easier to handle, and cheaper to feed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I could only have one, .22 would not be it. If I can only have two, a .22 will most likely be one of them. Self defense is top priority. Food gathering is second. Whatever I use for self defense could be used to gather food, but a .22 would be cleaner, more efficient, easier to handle, and cheaper to feed.</div></div>

same here. my first choice would be the m4.

Would someone save me the trouble of googling "best prepper .22" and hit this post with that info? Thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surffshr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would someone save me the trouble of googling "best prepper .22" and hit this post with that info? Thanks in advance. </div></div>

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+prepper+.22

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surffshr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would someone save me the trouble of googling "best prepper .22" and hit this post with that info? Thanks in advance. </div></div>

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+prepper+.22 </div></div>

That was awesome! Thank you sir!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go with 12g but whatever.</div></div>

Shotgun shells are heavy and bulky, and just the thing if you want zero flexibility in your overburdened approach to knocking down walls and Hollywood bad guys. Of course, if you have a zombie slave pushing your wheelbarrow around ...

crazy.gif
    </div></div>
    A zombie slave would be bitchin'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're going to have just one firearm a 22 is a good choice. I'd go with 12g but whatever. Cheap to buy, easy to maintain, cheap ammo, easy/cheap practice (really a key IMHO), and if SHTF there will probably be a lot of 22 ammo to scavenge. </div></div>

Yeah there will be lots of 22 to scavenge...LMFAO. I was scavenging at my local Wally world the other day and there wasn't a single fucking round of 22lr in the store, hasn't been any since November 7th. But when the world as we know it ends(whatever the hell that means) it will be laying around for free. Silly me for trying to buy the shit I guess.

.22,that's a f*****g joke!
    Wait,let me get my Samuel Adams out and sit on the recliner.

This thread should be interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't get it....I was working in Minnesotta last month and our safety guy was a devout survivalist/prepper, and animate about it. He went on a rant about guns insisting all a man needs is a .22lr to handle any disaster or survival situation. He stated he sold all of his other firearms to purchase ammunition for his ruger 10/22.

I confronted him about the prospect of self defense or shooting large game, and he simply kept stating, "I'll just shoot'm in the head." It was obvious there was no arguing with this dude, so I just shrugged and let him go on with his retardation.

Later I dicked around on some survivalists boards and was alarmed to see how many people were on board with owning just a .22. Yeah I know, cheap, carry lots of ammo, yah, yah. But if they're so magical, why isn't the military using them, or why aren't all hunting rifles chambered in .22lr?

Take care!
    </div></div>
    I believe the military does use a silenced .22 rf....Indians up in Canada regularly harvest moose with a .22...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But if they're so magical, why isn't the military using them
    </div></div>

Because the military gets their ammo for free... </div></div>

haha..true...so true
    if i had someone else buying my ammo for me i'd shoot some really expensive crazy ass rounds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're going to have just one firearm a 22 is a good choice. I'd go with 12g but whatever. Cheap to buy, easy to maintain, cheap ammo, easy/cheap practice (really a key IMHO), and if SHTF there will probably be a lot of 22 ammo to scavenge. </div></div>

Yeah there will be lots of 22 to scavenge...LMFAO. I was scavenging at my local Wally world the other day and there wasn't a single fucking round of 22lr in the store, hasn't been any since November 7th. But when the world as we know it ends(whatever the hell that means) it will be laying around for free. Silly me for trying to buy the shit I guess.</div></div>
    If it really comes down to the point where folks are scavenging don't you think more 22 would be found than nearly anything else? If I were going to guess what ammo you'd find I'd be willing to bet on 22, 12g, and common hunting calibers.

FWIW there's plenty to buy near me right now. Maybe your market got shorted.

22 is fine for some things, but like someone else said, a shot gun goes a long way. sure ammo is a little bulky, but you have buckshot, slugs, birdshop, etc. you're a little more versatile that having just a rifle or pistol of any kind

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.22 LR in the eye. End of discussion. </div></div>
    This is one most of us can pull off at 200 yards.
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

Only on a dead run
    whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surffshr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would someone save me the trouble of googling "best prepper .22" and hit this post with that info? Thanks in advance. </div></div>

Ruger 10/22 without a doubt, no need to google that. Those rifles have killed more shit than the plague

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't get it....I was working in Minnesotta last month and our safety guy was a devout survivalist/prepper, and animate about it. He went on a rant about guns insisting all a man needs is a .22lr to handle any disaster or survival situation. He stated he sold all of his other firearms to purchase ammunition for his ruger 10/22.

Take care!
    </div></div>It's interesting that you consider his opinion retardation, but offered no alternatives. And therein lies the problem with the OP. I'd be interested in hearing what you think is a better single gun.
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcats</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.22,that's a f*****g joke!
    Wait,let me get my Samuel Adams out and sit on the recliner.

This thread should be interesting. </div></div>
    Yeah .22s are so silly. I mean I'm sure all those silly Mossad and Bit Shin agents that carried them laughed thier asses off every time they waxed someone.
    ROFL.

If I had to pick one and only one gun for a distopian future it'd probably be a glock 17 with a shoulder stock and a suppressor . You know pesky NFA aside. I feel like its the most readily available submachinegun on the market. Mostly because finding a SW M76 isn't realistic. (as a side whatever happened to Omega Man as the standard for survivalists?) But a Glock isn't a submachinegun you say, WTF ever asshole. Shoulder stock, pistol round, reliable 30+ rd magazines. It's a pistol when you need it a carbine when you want it. It'll easily put down most medium game and you know...people. I'd say a reliable 22 comes a close second. You can carry a ton of rounds, little to no recoil, quiet, reliable weapons abound. "but but my M4 is so much better in a firefight" that's cool. I thought we were talking about survival, and I suit to you that if you run around getting in firefights you won't survive long. But yeah let's go there. How many movement to contacts to you plan on doing in the post apocalyptic future? I would submit that most fights between fellow scavengers would happen under 100m where a 22 is plenty potent and the advantage of an m4 are largely negated.

If I had to find one and only one gun and my goal was long term survival I'd want something reloadable, potent, and centerfire. Because, you know it's sort of hard to reload rim fires and eventually they run out. I also don't need a battle rifle because my goal isnt to win a war; it's to survive with my family. As a one and only gun for a person who isnt immersed in firearms 22 is fine. A larger caliber would largely come wit diminishing returns for most obese preppers.

Surprising how many under estimate the lowly 22LR. If I had time to grab one weapon and run it'd be one of my 22's and as much ammo as I could grab. Set up correctly you wouldn't be safe even at 400 yards and 300 and under don't peek your head up for a look around. Most of the "preppers" have no clue as to their actual accuracy at distance but they may be thinking more correctly than most think.

Yes the shotgun is probably the best self defense weapon and we all have LR rifles that can shoot so far we can't see the target with the naked eye but you still have to carry it and all the ammo for it.

Topstrap

Most people can't hit a coke can at 20 paces with a 22.

Where are all these people shooting the ruger 10/22 at 300-400 yards?!

I've had one... Shot it at 200 and 300 yards and there's no way it's an effective cartridge for much at that range.

It's survival... You get a chance for food you want it dead.
    A long shot on an animal with a 22? Have fun with that.

I hope someone goes out and goes grizzly hunting with the 10/22 though and proves me wrong.

""Indians up in Canada regularly harvest moose with a .22...""

uhh, no offense but neither Indians nor Canadians are going to be putting a man on the moon any time soon.

Don't get me wrong, I love .22s. I have lots of them and lots of ammo for them. But if I was going to grab ONE gun (why the heck would I only grab one?) it would not be the .22. Nope, the M-14 would be it. Now that SOB will keep you behind the rocks at a distance.

Copy that rrflyer. If I had one opportunity to feed my hungry butt and there was a critter at 250y I'd be kicking myself in the arse for grabbing the 10/22 and not the SOCOM. Same for an up close badguy. Sure a .22 has potential under 100y, but I'd rather plug the BG once with a .308 and be done with it, rather than pepper him 12 times with the .22. I've shot smaller critters multiple times with .22s and had them drag their miserable carcass across the field with their front legs. It's not pretty. I've never had that happen with a .308. But then again, I didn't know I was supposed to shoot them in the eye.

If you shoot 22 or 22 magnum or 17 HMR you can save the brass and make bullets out of them. Just shot an 11/16 group at 100 yards with 6mm bullets I made out of 22 mag cases and they are cheap to make.

To me the fatal flaw in the argument is the idea you can only take one gun. Why tie yourself to that? Have your primary plus whatever .22 you want. I think it's a stupid question.

As an aside, one advantage to the .22 is essentially unlimited barrel life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haven't you guys heard of CCI Stingers? </div></div>

Yeah, I have. I had one go through the right cheek of my ass. Painful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haven't you guys heard of CCI Stingers? </div></div>

Yeah, I have. I had one go through the right cheek of my ass. Painful.</div></div>

WTF?
    You trying to gain street cred??
    laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> why isn't the military using them </div></div>

They are. Seal teams use supressed .22 handguns.

I think it boils down to the whole issue that people want to discuss the 1 and only gun they can have that is perfect for everything and there is no such thing.

The .22 is an excellent gun for you going hunting against small game to get food easily and cheaply and remove pest animals etc.
    It also works well when you are the hunter for people who are unaware & need to be very quiet.

The .22 is a very bad option when you are the hunted (by either man or beast) as most of what will hunt you is big enough that unless you get a really good shot in, they will have plenty of time to finish you off & getting a perfect shot in is a lot harder when something(s) with the tools to kill you is actively headed your way using said tools.

I can see a .22 being invaluable on harvesting small game for the pot on the cheap, but only a .22 and I might have some difficulties in the woods.
    There are a few of these round brown furry things where I am, that I'd feel just a bit undergunned with a .22 meeting one who woke up on a bad fur day.

images-14.jpg

A good .22lr would be invaluable in a survival scenario, and in my opinion is amongst the 4 firearms (that I think) everyone should own. No chance I'd sell off my other guns just to buy .22 ammo though. Two is one and one is none. Diversify. etc

id take a well working semi auto in 223 and above .
    a 22 lr is nice for gathering small food animals, but for SD not so much.
    and you can shoot rabbits too with a 223

Yep, bring your .22 to the Pacific Northwest; a salmon stream in late Summer/early Autumn oughta do it about right. Smear your jeans with honey, while you're at it...

Riiiiight!

I'd be feeling a tad undergunned with my '94AE .44 Mag right about then.

I think a good 10/22 is highly versatile and quite indispensable, but I would not be counting on it to be the only thing between me and a grisly end.

That's why God gave us J.M. Browning, and a little thing called the 12ga. John Cantius Garand was no slouch, either.

Greg

Pretty slick how this went from Preppers and survival to worrying about a Grizzly running you down and snacking on you. I'd say for 99.9% of the folks out there they won't be worrying about a big bear but keeping their family safe from 2 legged varmints and being able to keep their family fed.

I've got probably the same assortment and maybe more/less than some to pick from and my thinking was they're at the end of the street and I had to grab something and go for it. We can pick situations where no matter what we have it won't be the correct tool for the job. Ammo gets heavy in a hurry and who knows for how long you'll be on the run. Still overall I like the little 22LR and still think most folks way underrate it.

Topstrap

I have a 22 conversion kit for my sidearm, blow loads and loads of 22 for practice. Would nvever use it in real life.

Handguns are for CCW and in home self defense. Handguns as I undersrand are rare;y used in our recent ME conflicts. Therefore, it's not like I need a pallet of bullets for the intended purpose. In fact, a stockpile of 2 boxes oughta do the rest of my life.

As for WROL carbine action, I would never use a 22. 223 or 6.8. That, you should probably stockpile if you are a stockpiler.

I can only think that if you really needed really silent shooting, or needed shoot lights or rabbits would it be practical. For rabbits I have an old Beretta target pistol, it defends my garden just fine.