• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRI vs HCS Mk12 MOD0

MisterMoad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2012
Dayton, OH
www.facebook.com
I've searched around but didn't find anything, so if I missed a thread just point me in the right direction.

I'm in the market for a MK12mod0 and I'm trying to narrow it down a bit.
I'll mostly be shooting M855 and M193 through it, while occasionally using MK262.

I have an AE AEM5 in lockup right now.

My question is this:
Is the HCS upper worth the extra cost over the PRI.
I can get a complete PRI rifle for less than the HCS upper.

I want it to be as close to spec as possible, but I'm not completely OCD about it. I know about HCS's history with Crane, and that is the reason I'm even considering them.

Would I be happier with the 1:8 PRI with my ammo choice?

Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your primarily planning on shooting 193 and 855, then I would not spend the extra money. 1/8 would be more than adequate for those rounds. PRI puts out some great products as well. You will certainly see better performance from the 193s over the 855s.

If your primarily planning on shooting 193 and 855, then I would not spend the extra money...You will certainly see better performance from the 193s over the 855s.

I agree with jakhamr81. I'd save the extra money and stay with the 193's and MK262

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ What Brian Said!! ^^

Look...garbage in, garbage out. Running a precision AR-platform rifle with that ammo is akin to running a high-end sports car with 87 octane. It may run...but it'll run like @#$% and you won't get the performance from it you should otherwise expect (or was advertised).

If that's the bulk of what you'll be running through it, skip spending the extra dough on the HCS upper and just buy the PRI with the 1:8 Douglas (an EXCELLENT barrel by all accounts) for ~$750 less money which you can invest in quality ammo, reloading equipment/components/etc. The PRI Mk12 MOD0 uppers are guaranteed MOA and I haven't seen one that wouldn't do better with quality ammo and a knowledgeable, experienced semi-auto shooter. No, it won't be a "correct" MOD0 by a stretch, nor will it have the kind of reputation anything that leaves HCS will, but it'll be an excellent approximation capable of outstanding service for you if you do your part as well as feed it right. ;)

I don't think you'll be disappointed with either, but on a cost for value basis for your intended uses, the PRI will likely be the better bet.

You're right.
If I'm going to pony up a couple grand for an upper and at least another couple grand in optics / lower / trigger I might as well feed it the good stuff.
I have a pretty large stockpile of 855, but if this rifle is the shooter everyone claims it is I might as well stock up on MK262 and go with the 1:7.

PRI is able to build an upper with a 1:7 Douglas barrel, but the reputation of HCS is hard to ignore...

Decisions decisions...

You're right.
If I'm going to pony up a couple grand for an upper and at least another couple grand in optics / lower / trigger I might as well feed it the good stuff.
I have a pretty large stockpile of 855, but if this rifle is the shooter everyone claims it is I might as well stock up on MK262 and go with the 1:7.

PRI is able to build an upper with a 1:7 Douglas barrel, but the reputation of HCS is hard to ignore...

Decisions decisions...

Buy the PRI one, 8 twist is perfectly fine for 69s/77s.

https://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=725130&CAT=4824

You probably can't build it for that price once you add it all up.

Last edited:
The Mk262 load seems to shoot well in everything it is fed through. I'm not a fan of waist. If you are sitting on a stock pile of M855 shoot it up and use it to break in the barrel. Once it's gone, I would go with the Mk 262 for the rest of the life of the gun unless your letting your buddies shoot it. In that case, I'd keep some of the M855 sitting around so they don't shoot up all your good ammo.