• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

prices dropping

usmc02xx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2012
Locust Grove GA, USA
Just an fyi for atl area. AR's are getting back to normal (somewhat). everyone selling at crazy prices is keeping them. Had multiple shops telling me that they had to drop back down already. Was seeing ar's for 899. still high but half of what it was last month. Also, primers and powders are starting to make way back into stores. As an amusing sidenote i saw some peeps today arguing about the value of there "$2500 AR" when trying to sell to dealers. Sucks for them.

I had to meet up with a guy at a gunshow today to pickup some reloading components. I've been avoiding gunshows and gunshops like the plague for the last 5 months. I had to wait in line to get in and it was wall to wall people. Prices were definitely higher but not silly high. I saw some $1200-$1400 ARs but at least they weren't bare bones DPMS ones. Pmags were around $25 each. Reloading components were high, pulled mil-spec .224 bullets were ridiculous. WASR-10s and other bargain built AKs were in the $800-$1000 range. I'm just so glad I'm not running around like an idiot begging for SR Primers and paying double for a shitty AK-47.

Cabela's in Hoffman Estates has had a decent selection of 1lb cans. No Varget for awhile, but I saw a few pounds of H335 and 748 a few weeks ago. My buddy stumbled upon the delivery day of CCI small pistol primers. They were limiting them to 1K per customer though. GAT Guns in Dundee/Elgin has a good selection as well. Just depends on the day. The Aurora Sportsman's Club sends out alerts on their website when primers are instock at GAT. They must have a member working there. Usually the stock only lasts an hour or so.

I have no real problems with reloading stuff but for small rifle primers in my area.... Plenty of varget and large rifle primers cci200's in my area. Even .224 bullets are really starting to make a come back and should be easy to find on midwayusa with email notification.

Ammo and reloading supplies are in extremely short supply here and I believe it's worse now than it has ever been. I think the AR market is saturated without much movement. There are a few other guns showing up but maybe not in sufficient supply to alter the pricing.

I didn't think this issue would last this long but it's good to see recovery in some of your areas.

At the local gun show here nothing has come down. AR's are still 1300-1500 and ammo if anything went UP in price if you can find it. Mags are 30-45 for metal ones on the lower end to p mags on the high end

I can see prices on AR's and guns dropping. But for ammo and reloading components, until everyone has a suitable stash, I can't see much relief except certain locales, which will trickle out.
People who never bought more than 5 lbs of powder, now need two 8lb kegs, same with primers. For the most part, we just need to settle the fuck down, it'll come back. And bullets, I can see .223, and .308, but their so busy churning these out, everything else is sucking hind tit also.

Also, got the email special from Gunstop last night, they got some .223 bullets, but were informing people as when to expect some Hornady 55g SP's, in 500 bulk, this for the most part shitty bullet won't last 2 hours before it's sold out.

Last edited:
And bullets, I can see .223, and .308, but their so busy churning these out, everything else is sucking hind tit also.

I'm worried to see what happens when hunting season comes around. Come July/August I think we'll be back to square one when .223 will need to take a back seat to more "seasonally appropriate" calibers.

I'm worried to see what happens when hunting season comes around. Come July/August I think we'll be back to square one when .223 will need to take a back seat to more "seasonally appropriate" calibers.

I hope I'm wrong, but if doesn't ease up, I think they'll continue down this road. Maybe one lucky company catering to hunters might emerge as a industry leader. But most hunters should have enough bulets to get through, you're talking a handful of rounds, compared to a 100 or more for a comp.

Things appear to be leveling off around here. The Whammer and I went to the gun show here yesterday. I have fell on a rough patch, and decided to tow my newest build around to see if I would get any bites, it was a 300 BLK so not everyone is looking for one. I had a chance to see some of the going prices before making my mind up on what I wanted to ask. Being motivated I decided I would take an even grand as it appeared this would move the rifle pretty quick. 3 hours, two inquiries and no sale.
My observations for the day:
Plenty of AR variants available at retarded prices. Plenty of AR variants "walking the floor" at the gun show, few being sold. Still not a lot of ammo to buy, none at Fall 2012 prices.
Showed up to the gun show 1.5 hours after it started. No lines, no crowd. The place did get a bit tight around 1300hrs, I was gone by 1330hrs. Plenty of the usual shiny-shotguns walking the aisles carried by a 60-something guy, no need to ask the price. I was in the market for a beat up 1100, but the only ones I found had a "history" and were usually toted or displayed by a 60-something. No offense to that generation, but its age and pristine condition do not make it instantly rare or special, especially when there are half a million more just like it.

I predict the value of average ARs falling pretty hard when this ban is totally dead. We have three major dealers here in Columbus OH, Vances, Gander Mountain Gun World and Cabelas. All of them have ARs in stock at MSRP. Prices aren't the Black Friday $850 Sig at Wallyworld yet but when the ban dies the black rifles should be pretty available. It should be a pretty interesting future. I have heard that a half million ARs have been sold in 2013 so far. Almost every reloader manufacturer is back ordered on presses and dies for the big 4, 9mm, .45, .223/5.56 and .308. I doubt that anyone can accurately predict what the next few years holds but there is one thing for sure. There are a lot more gun owners and people reloading than there were last year.

I was hitting up the small shops (read pawn shops and small rifle stores that sell reloading stuff). primers and powder to be found at almost normal rates. no varget or benchmark but everything else was gettable. Prices still little high but not insane on that stuff. 223 was available, but at $14 a box. Better than the 30-40 a box it was 2 months ago lol. But still stupid high.

It's definitely falling-fast! Some areas are still high, probably due to the coincidence of hoarders per square mile

22 Long Rifle ammo is the new thing now in terms of ridiculously overpriced goods. Just check out what a brick of 500 rounds is going for on gunbroker...