• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer Change: Are Wolf Primers hotter than CCI?

rduckwor

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2011
AL, USA
I ran a test run with Wolf primers today in my 308.

I was shocked to see the average velocity at 100 fps higher than I get with the same load using CCI LR primers. ES and SD were very similar when comparing the two runs. Temp was a bit cooler today, but not much.

Are wolf hotter primers?

I'm beginning to suspect my chrono is on strike.

I've run multiple bullets/loads with same everything except CCI br2 and wolf, same fps on my magneto speed

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I did a primer test with my current 185 match load when i was load testing, everything identical except changing the primer......I tried Fed 210Ms, CCI BR2s, and Tula LR Magnums (I see no difference in the Tulas and Wolfs) and to my surprise the Tulas were the mildest primer even though it was a magnum......The Fed 210Ms were the hottest with the BR2s being in the middle of the other two.......The Tula Mags gave the best groups and lowest ES/SD numbers and to this day thats still the load i shoot.......The powder used is Varget and large primer Lapua brass.......That was over a Ohler 35 P chronograph.......The Fed primers were about 20 ftps faster than the Tulas and the BR2s in the middle.

Last edited:
You can get variations for primer lots. For example, i worked up a load for my f-class gun this winter and 2 weekends ago, I go a few ejector swipe marks on some shells and it was 80 degrees out there. And this was with one of the extreme powders. I had originally worked up the load in the 49's and went .5gr over may selected load with no pressure signs. So, I decided to drop .5 gr and go test it it. In the meantime, I was traveling and picked up Federal 210M promers, where I was using the same primers, just not match grain. I confirmed that they were still accurate and chono'd them. I was 30 FPS faster with a reduced load of .5 gr. same powder lot #. Only difference was primer change. There was a 2 degrees diffence between the original chrono'd load and the new chrono'd load.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk