• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer Ignition problem......I need more Heads to ponder

New brass probably doesn't need to have the shoulder pushed back. Neck-only sizing would square away any dent issues and get you your desired neck tension.

The light pin indents suggest your shoulders are set back and the cases go deep into the chamber. When you squeeze the trigger the pin goes as far forward as it can (if it went deeper you'd risk pierced primer cups) and it doesn't go "bang."

Ok, new brass came in and so did headspace gauges. As most have said, I had pushed the shoulders back 0.015". New brass, new WLR primers worked without a hiccup on 36 rounds. I also bought some Hornady Precision Hunter 162 ELD X rounds. 4 Boxes with 2 different lots of them.

Shot both lots and at 200 yard setup I was 0.58", 0.62" and 0.82" The velocity was 2940 fps average. There was a spread of 18 fps between the 3 groups on velocity. So the question now is with this Bergara is do I even reload for it or just keep with the factories? Because this is strictly a hunting rifle and If I developed a load that resembled this I would be tickled with it. Crazy good rifle. Not to brag but the Bergara Highlander I bought in 6.5CM shoots the Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD X the same size groups. That's pretty good for out of the box.

Reactions: sinister
hunting rifle shooting sub moa and you don't plan to shoot it a lot? I'd stick with factory loads/ammo. Easy to find if you decide to go on a trip and a few boxes will last you a long time. not worth the time/effort to reload if you are getting that accuracy at the ranges you think you would shoot.

Last edited:
...So the question now is with this Bergara is do I even reload for it or just keep with the factories? Because this is strictly a hunting rifle and If I developed a load that resembled this I would be tickled with it. Crazy good rifle.
Better to be shot out than to rust out. :D

What SpeedR said. I’ve also had good luck with Hornady ammo and the 6.5cm, shoots well. I shoot a decent amount so I reload for 6.5cm mostly now. Glad you were able to get it figure out, hope you don’t have any more issues with primer ignition.

The head space gauge is a invaluable tool for me and in my opinion everyone who reloads should have one and a way to measure base to bullet ogive, it’s just way more accurate and takes out a lot of guess work. So even if you don’t need it again for this rifle you have it for next time.