• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer packaging?

SB545

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
I've heard differing accounts on Large Rifle primer brisance. Knowing a little bit about explosives packaging, usually the more dead space in the package the more "explosive" the material. For instance, when i receive blasting caps, the smaller the charge the smaller the package. during testing they set one off in the center and check for propagation within the package. there is an allowable amount and it is not 100%.

My question is are federal primers all hot as hell or do they have some sort of marketing/packaging ploy that bigger is better?

It's well known among competitive pistol shooters that Federal SPP are the most sensitive primers available. I was told that the bulky packaging is a result of this. Are you talking Federal LRP or do other companies also have giant primer trays?

Ancient history - pre internet rumor - was that Federal had an incident in a delivery truck and went to the bigger packages. Pure rumor but it is tribal lore among old reloaders

Reactions: SB545
it seems that through out the entire line they use the same packaging from the small pistol all the way through the 215 and 209. i'd assume that the 215 would have a better chance of propagation than the 200, correct?

are they using lead styphnate or lead azide or both in primers these days?

it seems that through out the entire line they use the same packaging from the small pistol all the way through the 215 and 209. i'd assume that the 215 would have a better chance of propagation than the 200, correct?

are they using lead styphnate or lead azide or both in primers these days?
The greater the power of the primer the greater the likelihood for propagation all other things being equal.

The packaging of the primers are required to be tested per DOT requirements for shipping purposes. Federal would not incur the Addison all cost in its packaging if it wasn’t required. Hence we assume that the primers are more sensitive. Based on forum threads very few times do you see issues reported when a reloader shifts from CCI to Federal but often when going the other way!

As to the actual compounds used in primers, Federal lists

dihydroxy(2,4,6-trinitro-1,3-benzenediolato(2-))di-​

Edit: 1-Tetrazene-1-carboximidic acid, 4-(aminoiminomethyl)-, 2- nitrosohydrazide*

CCI
1,3-Benzenediol, 2,4,6-trinitro-, lead salt.

The same.

Last edited:
The greater the power of the primer the greater the likelihood for propagation all other things being equal.

The packaging of the primers are required to be tested per DOT requirements for shipping purposes. Federal would not incur the Addison all cost in its packaging if it wasn’t required. Hence we assume that the primers are more sensitive. Based on forum threads very few times do you see issues reported when a reloader shifts from CCI to Federal but often when going the other way!

As to the actual compounds used in primers, Federal lists

dihydroxy(2,4,6-trinitro-1,3-benzenediolato(2-))di-​

Edit: 1-Tetrazene-1-carboximidic acid, 4-(aminoiminomethyl)-, 2- nitrosohydrazide*

CCI
1,3-Benzenediol, 2,4,6-trinitro-, lead salt.

The same.

We've had delays before getting blasting caps from primers that wouldn't pass DOT standards. When they came it it looked like a gigantic pizza box with a lot of padding, per 100. We get thousands in a shipment.

i've always used Federal and Winchester for my reloading, so I'm unaware of the CCI issues you're referring to . Do they fail to ignite regularly in low temps?

Honestly, part of the reason I'm moving away from the federal primers is the size of the packaging and resulting storage space requirements. If the Winchesters or CCI can handle my low temps and ignite reliably then I'm happy.

If the Winchesters or CCI can handle my low temps and ignite reliably then I'm happy.
In my experience both of them work fine at -10 Fahrenheit. Don't think I've shot in colder temps than that.

A lot of reports about CCI’s being bad, not firing. They either have harder cups or are less sensitive. Either way a weak firing pin spring will show up sooner with CCI. I suspect the same is probably true with some of the Winchester issues.

Honestly, part of the reason I'm moving away from the federal primers is the size of the packaging and resulting storage space requirements. If the Winchesters or CCI can handle my low temps and ignite reliably then I'm happy.
If that’s a concern, I’d just use magnum or CCI military primers. I use CCI #34 in 308 and Rem 7-1/2 in 223. But I’ve got a bunch of Fed 210s eating up space.

If you are referring to the larger container, larger that anyone else's , another rumor has a reloader dumping a box of Fed. primers into one of the hand priming tools [the round Lee primer] and there was a change reaction of denotations. Why that promped Fed. to go the bigger box probably had to do with a lawyer, Probably the same with Lee and their larger tool with the square tray. What a POS.
As a note, I bought some 20 K 210M a long time ago and still using the small box's with no problems in over 40 years of using them

If you are referring to the larger container, larger that anyone else's , another rumor has a reloader dumping a box of Fed. primers into one of the hand priming tools [the round Lee primer] and there was a change reaction of denotations. Why that promped Fed. to go the bigger box probably had to do with a lawyer, Probably the same with Lee and their larger tool with the square tray. What a POS.
As a note, I bought some 20 K 210M a long time ago and still using the small box's with no problems in over 40 years of using them
If you look at the package you will see reference to a group such as 1.4S. This is a hazard classification for shipping and storage and involves testing of the packaging to get the classification from the DOT. There are limits and tracking requirements that are a part of shipping which is why the retailers charge a hazmat fee. The rating spills over to NFPA 495 which specifies how and how much can be stored in businesses and residences.