• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primers

Smith97z71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2012
NW Ohio
So I am relatively new to the reloading scene and started gathering supplies slightly before the shooting. Have both my brother and a Coworker who have reloaded for some years who are both willing to help me out with creating ideal loads. Anyway, back to the primers. Is there really that much of a difference in primers and their affect on accuracy or is it more of a factor on complete burns of the cartridge or what? For example I have 1k CCI Large Rifle primers am I going to noticed a dramatic difference in accuracy from the Large Rifle Primers compared to their Bench rest primers compared to the Federal or Winchester equivalents? If so why is that? Is it the difference in a hotter primer or without sounding stupid (hopefully lol), a better blast radius inside the case? Just curious how or why one primer can be a factor vs another.
Thanks

Yes, there is a difference. But, if you have a preference, and develop your load using a certain brand, it seldom matters. What I think is a mistake is to develop a load and then tinker with different primers. Yes, you "might" see a difference, on paper but it's a crap shoot.

In practice, I have been using the Fed 210Match in most large rifle applications for many years and don't worry about what another brand might do, it's sort of a baseline. I have yet to see any testing that proves that one brand is better than another, or more consistent or better accuracy; in a controlled setting. There are so many other variables that will make a difference, charge weight, seating depth, etc. that the primer selection is not that big a deal. Personal opinion, works for me. BB

Yes, there is a difference. But, if you have a preference, and develop your load using a certain brand, it seldom matters. What I think is a mistake is to develop a load and then tinker with different primers. Yes, you "might" see a difference, on paper but it's a crap shoot.

In practice, I have been using the Fed 210Match in most large rifle applications for many years and don't worry about what another brand might do, it's sort of a baseline. I have yet to see any testing that proves that one brand is better than another, or more consistent or better accuracy; in a controlled setting. There are so many other variables that will make a difference, charge weight, seating depth, etc. that the primer selection is not that big a deal. Personal opinion, works for me. BB
Basically you kind of said everything that i was thinking/guessing about the whole primer issue. Develop the load and the primer isn't the biggest deal.... Thanks for the info