• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primers

Midwayusa said mid november. Who wants to start a primer manufacturing business w/ me? lol

Anyone have any idea (aprox.)(inside intel.) when they may be back on the shelves?
A journalist once wrote (Wayne Van Zwoll possibly) that as a dedicated hand loader, you should always keep at least 5000 large and small rifle primers in stock at home to avoid such occasional supply hiccups that hit the market from time to time. He was right! If you’ve got wait until November in the US - we’ll have to wait until November 2014 to get any here in the UK – now that really will be a problem for some punters.

I "just got" 4K, from an online outfit in Ohio. Ammunition.com, I think. Wolf. Check the net. Punch in 223 primers, and up they come. Most say "Back ordered", but i found em, 15 sites later...." Endeavor to persevere."Spit, then plug em" PA: I got the gold, right here, PA? But I diverge.....love that movie.

Last edited:
a few local shops here had lots of them, I have been seeing a lot more stuff starting to show up.

midway had remington Small Rifle Bench Rest Primers #7-1/2 for about 2 minutes today, all gone!

Check out the small gun shops. Was in Copperas Cove Tx couple of weeks ago and found 1000 Federal large rifle mag match primers and 8 lb keg of Winchester 296. Found lots of 22 long rifle ammo in a small shop in central Missouri on same trip. Just got to troll the internet everyday and check the small shops.

I got 3k small rifles the other day. They had lots more (Grafs or Bruno's ) maybe not now. 60 bucks per thou shipped sucks but gotta keep stock comin in to the pile little by little. I'm not hurting on components, just time and money. Don't ever wanna be so low that I can't go shoot like crazy.

I got 3k small rifles the other day. They had lots more (Grafs or Bruno's ) maybe not now. 60 bucks per thou shipped sucks but gotta keep stock comin in to the pile little by little. I'm not hurting on components, just time and money. Don't ever wanna be so low that I can't go shoot like crazy.

If you're not hurting on components, then paying $60/k seems like a VERY poor investment to me. Especially if you are "hurting on...money", as you stated.

I have found a few Large Magnum Rifle Primmers lately. How far should i drop my powder charge to accomodate for the magnum primers when i have been loading with Large Rifle Primers?

I have found a few Large Magnum Rifle Primmers lately. How far should i drop my powder charge to accomodate for the magnum primers when i have been loading with Large Rifle Primers?

Safest way is to work up again. I would drop the starting charge by 10% if it were me.

Or, depending on the powder/bullet, you could look in a load book. For example, with W748, most load books list a magnum primer load.

Rifle primers aren't a problem for me, I have a decent supply. It's small pistol that is impossible to find at a fair price. I was just at Bass Pro and they were out, and they said its a 200 primer limit when they are in stock.

If you're not hurting on components, then paying $60/k seems like a VERY poor investment to me. Especially if you are "hurting on...money", as you stated.

Poor investment? Time will tell huh. Call me when your out! I'll be shooting, please leave message

I had a few hours between flights today and stopped in at Cabela's in Wichita KS, they had a lot of large rifle primers, various rifle powders and CCI mini mag 100 ct 22LR ammo, all had limits on purchases, small rifle primers sold out within a day. (no inside intel)

Poor investment? Time will tell huh. Call me when your out! I'll be shooting, please leave message

Really? You just started reloading within the past few months, haven't you...

$60 blows me away! Before Christmas, I bought 3K 210match primers and paid $38 each. I thought I was getting ripped off.

But, if you guys are going to keep banging away, and with DHS buying bazillions of rounds, guess what? The price will rise because shop owners know Josh will pay any price. Unreasonable price included; he's gonna still be shooting. Lack of self control is hurting the rest of us. BB

[Who wants to start a primer manufacturing business w/ me? lol[/QUOTE]

at $60 per thousand we could make bazillions!

I'm still trying to figger it out...something, ain't right...

Take PV....

They say on their website that they're shipping orders placed one month ago. They haven't been accepting backorders, for months now...

Nearly every day, I check their site. I haven't seen any "popular" powders, or primers, for months as well.

So if they haven't been accepting backorders for months, and they haven't had any powder or primers, exactly what "orders" are they filling that were placed last month?

Do I need to quit earning a living, and sit in front of my computer and keep hitting the "refresh" button every fifteen seconds in case something suddenly shows "in stock"?

I don't get what's going on there.

Seemingly, all the manufacturers are ramped up all they can be (and why wouldn't they be?)...
Yet, no one has ammunition, or components, for sale.
I don't read of anyone actually having located supplies or ammo, other than stray shit, here or there...

So, where the hell is it all going?

Last edited:
Well, my powder valley order is scheduled to arrive Monday, now 3 more days away... Ordered on March 25th, should arrive April 29, 20 pounds varget, 8 pounds CFE, 8 pounds HP-38. Enough for me and my brother for the next year or so. But, no primers. They seem to be trickling in to my local shops, one is supposed to have some this weekend.

The thing is, instead of buying another gun, I'm spending that on components so I can shoot what I have whenever I want.

I should add that I'm checking the major suppliers and various "where are powder, primers and bullets" threads on 20 sites and 3 forums a day. They come up here and there all the time, but only for short periods, except for places with really high prices, where stuff will sit for a few days before being sold.

Well, my powder valley order is scheduled to arrive Monday, now 3 more days away... Ordered on March 25th, should arrive April 29, 20 pounds varget, 8 pounds CFE, 8 pounds HP-38. Enough for me and my brother for the next year or so. But, no primers. They seem to be trickling in to my local shops, one is supposed to have some this weekend.

The thing is, instead of buying another gun, I'm spending that on components so I can shoot what I have whenever I want.

Mind me asking when you placed the order? A month ago? And they were showing "in stock" on their site? I just can't figure out how they're still so backed up when (like everyone else) they never seem to have anything to sell... Don't get me wrong, not knocking them, I've been doing business with them for years without complaint. Just confooozed...

No I didn't just start reloading tough guy? I have bought tons of primers for 30 bucks a brick too? What's your point? I wanna have a plenty of extra so I buy when I can. I never want to be without. If that means paying a hazmat and high prices and having to buy online, then oh well. What are you gonna do, say its the principal of the whole deal and hope that they come back for normal prices ? Do what u gotta do. I know I got all I need. I was just trying to let folks know where there are a few. I do t give a shit if I gotta pay more. It's better than going without. Hell I wish they were free. What are you gonna do when gas goes up again? Stop driving? I know it sucks. I think we should think about focussing all this anger away from other shooters, and toward a worthy target. What caused this panic buying? A sudden surge in elk hunting?

I ordered 10k, no34 cci primers from PV 3/1/2013, were supposed to ship the end of march. I got an e-mail that the order was invoiced on 4/8/2013, the invoice was for 5k primers and with shipping and hazmat was 207.00, 40.00 of which was the shipping and hazmat, which split over 10k primers would have lessened the bite. But, I guess I should be happy to have any. The primers arrived as expected. I called and they said the order got messed up, I emailed the copy of the original order and got an OH WELL, I could reorder, but wouldn't get any credit for the mistake.

Midwayusa said mid november. Who wants to start a primer manufacturing business w/ me? lol

I said that last time... I'd be making some bank right now, and some small rifle primers because I'm almost out!

"Mind me asking when you placed the order? A month ago? And they were showing "in stock" on their site?"

They showed in stock when I ordered. When scanning a bunch of vendors and threads with heads up on powder, I saw a post somewhere on the hide saying they had a few hodgdon powders in stock. You have to jump on that fast, have your list of powders ready beforehand so you don't waste any time, and get your order in fast. 5 minutes is way too long, I got my order in but they were out of stock 5 minutes later, according to other posts.

Kind of like ordering really high-demand concert tickets, except they come up at random times instead of pre-announced times.

I'm about ready to pay a higher price for some small rifle primers to hold me over until I can get them at a normal price or trade something I have for a few, I figure supplies will be tight for a while longer. If I overpay by $20 per thousand, it is still $.02 extra per shot, when each trigger pull is close to $.5 anyway.

What I'm trying to do is to have powder, bullets and primers in sync with each other for each caliber for some reasonable expectation of use. For instance, for my 243, I'm all set on powder, primers, bullets and cases to the expected barrel burn out. I have about 1000 shots left on the barrel, I figure that is about $700 in components. For the 308, 1 season or a little more worth of practice and comps is enough for me and my bro. My best estimate is that it takes $3500 in components to burn out a 308 barrel if life is 6000 rounds. At least for me, having this quantity of components on hand means not buying another gun, but I'd rather shoot than sit around and dream about shooting.

I'm still trying to figger it out...something, ain't right...

Take PV....

They say on their website that they're shipping orders placed one month ago. They haven't been accepting backorders, for months now...

Nearly every day, I check their site. I haven't seen any "popular" powders, or primers, for months as well.

So if they haven't been accepting backorders for months, and they haven't had any powder or primers, exactly what "orders" are they filling that were placed last month?

Do I need to quit earning a living, and sit in front of my computer and keep hitting the "refresh" button every fifteen seconds in case something suddenly shows "in stock"?

I don't get what's going on there.

Seemingly, all the manufacturers are ramped up all they can be (and why wouldn't they be?)...
Yet, no one has ammunition, or components, for sale.
I don't read of anyone actually having located supplies or ammo, other than stray shit, here or there...

So, where the hell is it all going?

PV is filling orders from a month ago for items that were in stock a month ago. So, yes, they may have primers or powders you want in their warehouse, but their online ordering system had already secured the product for a customer that claimed them online.
And yes, if you want to find items you need you pretty much have to dedicate time to finding them and order them asap. PV has been getting components back in stock. But as soon as it shows back in stock it sells within a couple hours, maybe less. Heaven forbid if they ever get federal primers again. I'd bet a million primers will sell in under 15 minutes.
So where's it all going? It's going to those that dedicate their free time to searching relentlessly online and buying whatever they can as soon as it shows in stock.

Last edited:
The worst thing about if you actually do find any decent primers or powder is in many cases they limit you and that makes impossible to minimize the effect of the hazmat charge. Double whammy effect.

PV is good to go. To the guy who asked if he should quit his job to hit F5 on the pages.. In essence, yes.

In January I ordered 25k Tula AR primers (including shipping and hazmat they cost me $22.65 per thousand). They showed up about 5 weeks after the order was placed. Since then, they've stopped accepting backorders, but since then I have also placed (and received) orders for all the following:

3000 69gr SMKs
8# Varget
24# CFE-223
500 Berger 185 Hybrids
100 175gr SMKs

I currently have an order outstanding with them for another 1000 69gr SMKs and 1000 Berger 185gr Hybrids. If they follow close to their historic schedule on delay in processing/invoicing/shipping, I should get invoiced the end of next week and have them the following. As you can see by my previous orders, I'm in no hurry to get them, they will just go on the shelf "in stock".

I'm all good for now, and should be able to shoot every caliber I own, including handgun, until the end of this year.