• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Priming PAIN IN THE ASS

Mattrmvpd

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2004
South Georgia
Ok... Well today I spent some time HAND PRIMING (500) rounds of .308.

NOT FUN!!!!!

Someone show me a quicker way that does NOT wear out your hand.

Re: Priming PAIN IN THE ASS

Similar to what I use.

Yea its annoying but not horrible. When I have to do a ton of priming I try and break it up into 100 or 200 rounds a time.

Giraud needs to make a primer lol.

YES!!! I just wished there was a quicker way that was NOT auto/progressive press oriented.

I have seen a table mounted one that is sold by MIDWAY USA.... Its about $90.00 and it has me thinking...

Any and all brass prep is annoying as hell.

Just do what I do. Break it down into stages, and don't reload massive quantities at a crack, otherwise you'll risk burnout.

I do a hundred a day max, all in about a week after doing brass prep, etc.

Plus it's a good thing to have to do on snow days, but I somehow doubt that'll be a problem for you in South Georgia.

Yeah... NO snow here and when it does... OMG! these people REALLY cant drive
smile.gif

I normally do break it down in stages... today I was bored after doing some computer work for classes... Figured I would get in there and knock it out.

What a mistake!!

A friend has a table mounted primer and personally I think it is slower. Its a solid primer and well made but I just think it takes more time and I enjoy the pressure feedback of a hand primer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any and all brass prep is annoying as hell.

Just do what I do. Break it down into stages, and don't reload massive quantities at a crack, otherwise you'll risk burnout.

I do a hundred a day max, all in about a week after doing brass prep, etc.

Plus it's a good thing to have to do on snow days, but I somehow doubt that'll be a problem for you in South Georgia. </div></div>

I do the same and hate brass prep. I hated it worse when I tried to do 300 or so at a time. Keeping it down to 100 lets you feel a sense of accomplishment.

The RCBS model is a lot easier on your hand.

Also why not just prime on your press?

the forester tool is good, once you improve the system to load the tube - I attached a Lee tray

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea its annoying but not horrible. </div></div>

I spend at least 4X the time throwing and tricklling charges as I do priming empty cases. Thus, I can't see this as much of a problem (I use the RCBS hand primer--but I don't think the tool is as important as keeping a perspective on things.)

But, then again, I happen to be one of the few tha tlikes to paly around wiht shiny pieces of brass (in more capacities than just shooting/reloading.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Seriously, the upside to hand priming is that it'll give you a grip workout! </div></div>

Yes, yes it will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally hate trimming then chamfering. </div></div>

One word, Giraud!

I've been blessed and got a Giraud to ease brass prep. Went halfsies with a local shooting buddy.

I currently use a Lee which came with a Challenger Breechlock I bought last year. I am planning to move to the RCBS APS system to make priming a little easier on the hands. I used another buddies and was pleased with the ergonomics. Plus with the strips, I no longer have loose primers and the universal shellholder works really well.

The same buddy I went halfsies on with the Giraud also went halfsies on an RCBS Chargemaster to make the next step of reloading that much quicker and easier when doing precision loads.

APS system, wow, I gave mine away. In the crunch after 08, you couldn't find aps primers.
As for PITA, Lapua brass is just that,most others not so bad.
I used to take brass and primers to work with me, sit in my pickup and prime, got 2k done one day, and got paid for it!

Sinclair makes a hand priming tool.I find it easier on the hand than the Lee or RCBS.It gives you a great feel on how the primers are seating.The tool is not for fast priming but more for precision.You have to lock the case into the shell holder.It sells for around $130-140.I usually prime about 200 cases at a time.

Regards,Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just wished there was a quicker way that was NOT auto/progressive press oriented. </div></div>

Whats wrong with a progressive?

With my Dillon 650, I can prime 500 cases in less than 45 minutes, blindfolded, with one hand tied behind my back.

I gave up on my Lee priming tools and any other tool that uses the thumb to provide the pressure.

I bought a Hornady Hand priming tool that uses the full hand for "power". I did have to modify the punch so it didn't dimple the primers but that merely involved a few minutes with a cordless drill and a grinder to flatten the surface. Then just pick the locktite out of the depth adjusting screw head so you can adjust the height of the punch when the tool is squeezed.

Actually made a decent tool out of this for half the price (or less) that of a Century 21.

Had the Lee and gave it away. Have the Sinclair now and it is all I use for anything that isn't pistol or plinking.

I bet that Sinclair priming tool is one speedy mo fo.

They're anything but. No primer magazine, and have to be single fed with each individual primer. But they are very precise, and one of the best priming tools on the market when we're talking about "feel" of the primer seating in the pocket. You can feel the anvil bottoming out in the pocket, a slight pre-loading on the compound, exactly what you want for precision reloading. I use the Sinclair for virtually all my long range ammo, but generally go with something a bit faster for my short range stuff.

RCBSprimertraywithreliefcutforForsterBonanzaprimertube9-21-2012.jpg

To get the Forster / Bonanza primer tube loaded more easily, I milled out an RCBS primer tray to fit.

RCBSprimertraywithreliefcutforForsterBonanzaprimertubeslidinginprimers9-21-2012.jpg

Here is a tube clamped to the tray.

co-axprimingtooladjustmenttool8-28-2012.jpg

To adjust the gopher shooting supplies / Bonanza / Forster priming jaws, I made a dummy cartridge with a feature the fits in the priming tool ram hole.

Shown here on the top of a co-ax press

RCBSprimertraymodifiedforloadiingFo.jpg

adjustable priming jaws shown here on the Bonaza / Forster priming tool

ForsterBonanzaprimingtoolwithtubefullofprimers9-21-2012-1.jpg

The jaws up close.
The jaws may be inverted to thick rims or thin rims.

The ram hole on the Forster and Bonanza co-ax presses are within .001 ~ .002" and one adjustment tool can be made to fit each for each size cartridge.

But the bench primer has a much bigger ram hole, and needs it's own adjustment tool made on the lathe.

I have never been able to adjust the jaws precisely with a cartridge to center over the ram hole, but with the small Aluminum tools I made, I can quickly adjust the jaws to work perfectly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet that Sinclair priming tool is one speedy mo fo. </div></div>

As Kevin said not fast at all but very precise and comfortable to use. I generally prime brass while sitting watching a game or something on TV so I'm not really worried about how fast I'm priming cases. That said it isn't hard to run several hundred or more per hour.

I don't mind priming compared to other activities, but the Lee does make it feel more like a chore than an accomplishment. Decent tool, and the price is certainly right, but the leverage is way less than RCBS and especially Hornady.

I use the RCBS hand prime tool that other have mentioned I just sit in front of or listen actually to the ball game and prime cases. I actually like brass prep except for trimming.