• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem with 45acp reloads, chambering

Thumper580

Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2013
Mechanicsville, VA
I've been reloading 45acp for awhile. Using RCBS dies. Using same components but some drop in the chamber fine and some are "tight".
I just bought a 45acp chamber gauge to see what was going on. Some loaded rounds drop in and others don't.
A resized piece of brass drops in the gauge, ok. Have a slight flare on the brass to get the bucket to rest in before seating.
Have a light crimp set up on that die. Reduced it from a heavier crimp thinking the flare might be the problem.

I measured the bullets and they are .451.... I'm at a but of a loss right now. Some loaded rounds "clunk" into the chamber and others drag or have a slight bind...
Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Without pics I’m thinking it’s the Glock bulge cases.

Reactions: sinister
It may be your crimp, I like a .470" at case mouth, .471" max.
Sometimes just pulling your barrel and dropping rds in by hand, along with a caliper will answer most of your questions. Or compare what feeds to those that do not, measure close to case head and mouth.

I've been through your situation with 9mm - as you know, 9mm Para and .45 ACP are both tapered cartridges that headspace on the case mouth. You don't mention:
- Brand of pistol
- How far into the gauge your "tight" rounds drop before stopping
- From where you're getting your brass

If your pistol is a Glock, Sig, S&W, or some other service pistol, it's probably quite tolerant of slightly oversized rounds. 1911-platform pistols with target sights/chamber demand SAAMI-spec ammo. I bought a fully-dressed Springfield Armory (SA) 1911 in .45 and liked it so much that I bought an identical 1911 in 9mm. I had piles of 9mm brass that fed flawlessly through my Sig and Glock pistols, so was surprised when the SA 1911 jammed so bloody tight on the first round that a Popeye-forearmed buddy had to force the slide open on the edge of a steel-framed shooting bench.

Long story shorter, the rounds were properly resized and crimped on the business end - but the case web (solid brass part of the head through which the primer is seated and fired) of many rounds had expanded so much in the generously-chambered service pistols that they simply wouldn't fit in the SA chamber. My son and I subsequently found that chambers on both our CZ pistols were similarly tight.

If the rounds are dropping 3/4 - 7/8 or more of the way into the gauge and then sticking, your issue is likely arising from an expanded case web. I talked with one of the guys at Dillon about possible remedies, and he said that, short of commercial roller dies, there isn't one. Standard resize dies don't alter the web, even when screwed all the way down to the shell holder/plate.

So, every round I load now gets dropped into a Wilson gage (their spelling); the ones that don't "plunk" in cleanly go into the "Glock jar" - Glocks will eat anything anywhere near the right caliber......

Reactions: Milo 2.5
Really love the Lee factory crimp die for this application, have one for every pistol caliber die set I own. It has a carbide sizing ring in it, once you set the taper crimp and run a cartridge through it, the sizing ring will iron out any bulge from the bullet or expander die.

I've been through your situation with 9mm - as you know, 9mm Para and .45 ACP are both tapered cartridges that headspace on the case mouth. You don't mention:
- Brand of pistol
- How far into the gauge your "tight" rounds drop before stopping
- From where you're getting your brass

If your pistol is a Glock, Sig, S&W, or some other service pistol, it's probably quite tolerant of slightly oversized rounds. 1911-platform pistols with target sights/chamber demand SAAMI-spec ammo. I bought a fully-dressed Springfield Armory (SA) 1911 in .45 and liked it so much that I bought an identical 1911 in 9mm. I had piles of 9mm brass that fed flawlessly through my Sig and Glock pistols, so was surprised when the SA 1911 jammed so bloody tight on the first round that a Popeye-forearmed buddy had to force the slide open on the edge of a steel-framed shooting bench.

Long story shorter, the rounds were properly resized and crimped on the business end - but the case web (solid brass part of the head through which the primer is seated and fired) of many rounds had expanded so much in the generously-chambered service pistols that they simply wouldn't fit in the SA chamber. My son and I subsequently found that chambers on both our CZ pistols were similarly tight.

If the rounds are dropping 3/4 - 7/8 or more of the way into the gauge and then sticking, your issue is likely arising from an expanded case web. I talked with one of the guys at Dillon about possible remedies, and he said that, short of commercial roller dies, there isn't one. Standard resize dies don't alter the web, even when screwed all the way down to the shell holder/plate.

So, every round I load now gets dropped into a Wilson gage (their spelling); the ones that don't "plunk" in cleanly go into the "Glock jar" - Glocks will eat anything anywhere near the right caliber......
If it is not your crimp, this guy explained it perfect. 1911 chambers flat out suck with slightly out of spec ammo.
I know this is not the for sale page, but I would make you a deal on a Shockbottle hundo case gauge, 45 acp, slicker than doing individual cases, virtually unused.