• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem with my new GAP Crusader

mwave

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2008
Phx, AZ
So I just bought one these and I was finally able to go down to the range for break in. On my 5th shot, I noticed the bolt was very hard to close. I tried pushing it and it too a lot of force to close it. When I dropped the bolt (after much pushing), the rifle fired. It was a good thing I was following good range practices, otherwise, that could've been dangerous. It did frighten me a bit because it was so random.

Anybody ever had something like this happen? I don't think I had my finger near the trigger because it is something that has been beaten into me (keeping finger away from trigger until you are ready to fire). But I might have because I don't remember the exact circumstances. The shot kind of threw me off.

What could cause this?

Re: Problem with my new GAP Crusader

Did you shoot it any more, or dry fire, or anything?

May have a trigger/cocking issue, did you remove the bolt and inspect the top of the trigger/sear area to see if there was any obvious signs of issues?

GAP's chambers are usually pretty tight. I had some Federal Gold Metal Match when i was breaking mine in that was really tight for the first 50-75 rounds. What kind of ammo are you using?

As far as the rifle firing.. Im not sure. I've seen guys that have tweaked their own triggers to a point they were not safe fire like that but never one of Georges.

Are you using factory ammo or reloaded ammo?

If the hammer dropped as you were closing the bolt, that typically indicates a trigger pull that has been reduced below a safe operating weight. Did you buy the rifle new (directly from G.A. Precision) or used? If new, you should contact George and crew ASAP. If used, then you need to adjust the trigger -- if it's the problem -- to a safer pull weight.

What maybe bothers me the most is that you don't know if you had your finger on the trigger. When you close the bolt on a rifle, you NEVER have your finger on the trigger. In fact, unless you are using two hands, how could you close the bolt and possibly pull the trigger at the same time?

To reiterate:

1) Factory new, or reloaded (by whom) ammo? If reloads, stop using them.

2) Did you buy the rifle new, or used? If new, contact G.A. Precision right away. If used, caveat emptor, and it's your problem to solve, but it might be easy.

3) NEVER, NEVER, NEVER force anything when you're shooting at the range, or anyplace else except -- I suppose -- a battlefield. NEVER put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to fire.

4) Glad you're not hurt.
smile.gif

If you need a local smith to look over the rifle, you could do a lot worse than Gary Ocock.

Looking at his other posts, it's new, I'm guessing he didn't adjust the trigger either.

Call GAP, they'll either walk you through trobleshooting it or sending it back for repair.

J

I didn't adjust the trigger. I was using Black Hills 165 grain Moly bullets. I don't usually like Molly, but it's what I had at the time.

Like I said, I'm 99.9% sure I didn't have my finger on the trigger. I can't be 100% because I've never had a gun do that and it made me jump.

Any yeah, it's new. I've only had it 2 or 3 weeks now and I was just able to go to the range to sight it in. I fired 32 rounds while I was there and this problem was round number 5. After that, I tried checking it out more. The bolt was only hard to close that one time. After it happened, I cycled brass a couple times just to see if I could hear the firing pin (I didn't).

So I thought it was ok to test a real shot. Everything went well with my test fire. I also tried to push on the bolt extra hard but it never happened for the rest of the shots.

It's weird. Maybe a one time thing. Maybe Black Hills sent me a slightly out of spec round. I don't know.

I did remove the bolt right after it happened and took a look. It was a bit dirty, but nothing too bad. I didn't have all of my tools with me otherwise, I might have pulled it apart right there to inspect it further. Taking a look at the trigger is a good idea. I'll probably take it apart tonight and see what I can find.

I'll measure the trigger pull tonight. It doesn't feel way too light. I'd put the pull at 2 or 2.5 lbs. It breaks pretty crisp.

I don't know that I'd send it back just yet. Just remove the trigger and hose it out real good with lighter fluid and canned air. Make sure the sear and spring are in there right, etc. Then double check that the cocking piece looks good and isn't damaged, etc.

Put it all back together and dry fire a bunch of times, close the bolt real hard, etc etc. When back at the range just use lots of good firearms safety and care while handling, keep it pointed downrange like you were doing, etc.

Did you happen to remove the bolt for cleaning the rifle between rounds 4 and 5?

I thought George checks out every gun before it leaves the shop? I would about bet a c-note you had your finger rested against the trigger and when you forces the bolt forward you pushed the trigger into your finger! I have seen this before!!!! I would hate to think George or the crew would let a problem like this leave there shop!!! Lee

After rounds one and two, I cleaned everything. Round 2 didn't leave much, so I decided to fire 3 more, and then clean it. The last round was the one that fired on it's own. So, I decided to test it while it was still dirty with used brass and then I fired one more without cleaning it. Everything went without a hitch. I then proceeded with the break in as normal.

I don't see how I could've had my finger on the trigger. My left hand was on the forend and my right hand was trying to cycle the bolt.

But since I was pushing with more force than usual, my finger may have accidentally hit the trigger. Like I said, I'm 99.9% sure I didn't hit the trigger. It just pushed the adrenaline through me. The weird thing was, I hit the upper left sight in bullseye. Pretty sweet shot for an accident.

It's weird because it only happened once.

Okay, was just thinking if you removed the bolt that something could have got hung up, etc.

I'd clean as I recommended and really inspect the trigger area good.

Wait, just thought of something, look at the rear action screw and make sure that it's not sticking up into the cocking piece raceway, the cocking piece can get hung up on there and make the bolt hard if not impossible to close. The rear action screw could be to long....just a thought.

I'll take a look tonight when I get home from work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see how I could've had my finger on the trigger. My left hand was on the forend and my right hand was trying to cycle the bolt.

But since I was pushing with more force than usual, my finger may have accidentally hit the trigger. Like I said, I'm 99.9% sure I didn't hit the trigger. It just pushed the adrenaline through me. The weird thing was, I hit the upper left sight in bullseye. Pretty sweet shot for an accident.

It's weird because it only happened once. </div></div>

If your trigger isn't abnormally light (less than 1lb), I would guess your finger touched it off as the bolt closed.

I had a rem 700 in 300wm do that to me. When I closed the bolt the rifle would fire before it was closed all the way. Luckily I discovered it with an empty chamber. I took it to a gunsmith and he had it working properly with in a few minutes. It was something in the trigger I can't remember now what it was, but it wasn't difficult to fix. It just scared the crap out of me when it happened. I live "Way Out There" and if I had an accident I could be in lots of trouble. I didn't have any chambering issues but every time I closed the bolt the firing pin would fall.

Adjust a trigger too light and slam the bolt closed= boom

One of my buddies dads has a bronco with the hole in the floor and an '06 ringing in his ears/

I had an AD (sorta like this) while coyote hunting once. I'd just shot a coyote, cycled the bolt, and was following another coyote that came in with the first one, when the round went off as I closed the bolt. My handloads were just a tad bit tight on the bolt close and I'm 99.9% sure my gloved hand DID touch the trigger as I closed the bolt.

I'm betting you either got something in the chamber, or an out-of-spec round from Black Hills and with the extra force you used to close the bolt, you hit the trigger with another finger or knuckle. You don't remember it because of the shock of the round going off.

What does the brass look like from this "round #5"? Any dents in it that aren't supposed to be there? This could indicate something was in the chamber, making it not close properly.

I would say the fact that it was hard for you to close the bolt may indicate something else other then just a light trigger? Btw that kind of stuff can happen on any rifle; GAP or not!

mwave,
I'll give you $100.00 cash for that POS
smile.gif

Just joking, I bet that George will make it right!

Everything seems to be fine with it. I pulled it apart and nothing jumped out at me. I cycled a few pieces of spent brass and everything was fine. I even bumped the stock on the ground trying to get it to fire and it didn't.

I'm thinking the extra force might have caused my knuckle to hit the trigger. I'll definitely keep my eye on it. If I notice another round having problems chambering, I'll try and recreate the problem and see what happens safely (without hitting the trigger). If it happens again, I'll call George and see what he wants me to do. For now, I'll just say it could be my fault and give GAP the benefit of the doubt.

The round that fired off didn't have any dents, but it did have a small mark from the extractor maybe. It was a small gouge on the bottom all the way to the lip. I figured that was from the pressure of chambering the round though.

And aside from that random problem, it shoots beautifully. My last 5 shots @ 100 yards were amazing. The best group I ever shot.

The other thing that could have caused this problem is a primer that wasn't fully seated in the pocket, thus it would not shut easily and when it did.. pow!

(I've had a FGMM straight from the box with a primer stuck in the pocket sideways!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The other thing that could have caused this problem is a primer that wasn't fully seated in the pocket, thus it would not shut easily and when it did.. pow!

(I've had a FGMM straight from the box with a primer stuck in the pocket sideways!)

</div></div>
And how does that happen w/ out the firing pin going forward and or trigger pull?