• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem with TRG & SOCOM Brake

adamwade

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2009
CA, United States
Hey Everyone,

I've got a TRG-22 with a Surefire SOCOM and it's looking like my TRG doesn't like this brake. Without the brake I manage 4 shot groups into 0.5 MOA (I can't seam to hold all 5 - I'm new at this). When I first got the brake I installed and timed it and torqued to about 25lbs. Went to the range and shot a few groups that were twice as big (or worse) with much more horizontal stringing. Frustrated, I put the rifle away for a while (like 1 year!). Finally back to the range with the brake OFF and again back to 0.5moa. After a couple boxes of ammo I decided to alternate brake ON & OFF with four 5 shot groups. The brake was hand tightened (properly timed with shims) every other string. Groups with he brake were consistently bad 1moa+ with he same tendency to horizontal stringing. I understand a POI shift is normal and in my case, the brake printed about 2in down and 2in right. All FGMM.

I was thinking about trying an APA LB gen 3 with he top ports, but before I spend more cash chasing brakes I thought I would get some experienced and welcomed opinions.

Thanks!

Reactions: kimbergoldmatch
Hey Everyone,

I've got a TRG-22 with a Surefire SOCOM and it's looking like my TRG doesn't like this brake. Without the brake I manage 4 shot groups into 0.5 MOA (I can't seam to hold all 5 - I'm new at this). When I first got the brake I installed and timed it and torqued to about 25lbs. Went to the range and shot a few groups that were twice as big (or worse) with much more horizontal stringing. Frustrated, I put the rifle away for a while (like 1 year!). Finally back to the range with the brake OFF and again back to 0.5moa. After a couple boxes of ammo I decided to alternate brake ON & OFF with four 5 shot groups. The brake was hand tightened (properly timed with shims) every other string. Groups with he brake were consistently bad 1moa+ with he same tendency to horizontal stringing. I understand a POI shift is normal and in my case, the brake printed about 2in down and 2in right. All FGMM.

I was thinking about trying an APA LB gen 3 with he top ports, but before I spend more cash chasing brakes I thought I would get some experienced and welcomed opinions.

Thanks!

you should have about .20 thou clearance from the bullet and the opening of the break. Caliper it and see what yours is at, worst case try a new break. I had a similar issue and come to find out my break was not giving me the clearance I needed, once I swapped the issue went away.
best of luck

DJ480,
Do you mean the bored diameter of the brake holes should be .020 larger than the bullet? My bullet measured 0.307 and the brake is bored out to 0.329" = a difference of about 0.022. (0.011 on each side). Sounds like a brake change is in order anyway. Good to hear I'm not alone.

Reactions: DJ 480
DJ480,
Do you mean the bored diameter of the brake holes should be .020 larger than the bullet? My bullet measured 0.307 and the brake is bored out to 0.329" = a difference of about 0.022. (0.011 on each side). Sounds like a brake change is in order anyway. Good to hear I'm not alone.

yeah, diameter of brake exit hole should be .020 greater than bullet diameter. Mine was around .005 if I remember.

Wow .005 sounds crazy tight! Shaving copper! Thanks for the reference. I've got the 26in barrel so maybe it's just more sensitive to harmonics and my SOCOM is just playing the wrong tune.

Reactions: DJ 480