• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problems with trigger or bolt, rifle not firing correctly

jl3216

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2011
I have a Rem 700 in 6 Dasher with a jewel trigger set around 20 ounces. The rifle started firing when I flipped the safety off. I took the bolt apart, cleaned it. Blew the trigger out, etc.
Still having issues. Now it may or may not stay 'cocked' when I run the bolt and sometimes won't fire. I tried 3 different loaded rounds and the primers have a dimple in them, but they did not go off.
Do I have a trigger issue?? Firing pin??

Any help is appreciated!!

Did it just start doing it suddenly? Did you bother looking at the setting for sear engagement etc? Is anything worn? Does it do it with other triggers?

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I have not noticed any abnormal amount of wear on the sear. I have not tried another trigger yet, I'm working out of town.

How long has it functioned properly ?

Per Spife above, did it just start doing this ?

Who set up the trigger ?

Did/do they know what they are doing ?

Did they follow Jewell's instructions ?

A fair number of people mistakenly call the Firing Pin Block the Sear. It is not. The Sear is inside the Trigger and is not visible/accessible without disassembly of the trigger. I recommend that you resist the temptation to open it up.

Too little Sear engagement can cause this. Hard to know without better/more details.

Here are the Jewell instructions for properly setting up the trigger;

These are handy when adjusting the trigger;

Blown any primers lately?

Pretty sensitive triggers.

Get a bottle of Ronsonol lighter fluid and hose that sucker out.

Yes, it blew primers on the last 3 rounds it fired. I'm shooting 32gr of Varget w/ a Berger 105 @ 2879fps. No pressure signs what so ever during load development.
I've owned that trigger for years and it's shot hundreds of rounds without issue. I bought it from the Smith that built the gun. I've never done anything to it, other than try to blow it out with an air hose.
I'll read the instructions Threadcutter provided when I get home and see what happens as well as wash it out with lighter fluid.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

Will it stay cocked with the safety off? If so see if it fires when cycling/closing the bolt. Definitely sounds like not enough sear engagement.

If you run the bolt slowly, it'll usually stay cooked with the safety off

Has the bolt face been bushed?

Did it blank the primer or blow it?

I do not remember the bolt being bushed. The primers had a black hole right in the middle.

Send bolt to Gretan Rifling and have the bolt bushed and send the trigger to Jewel.

Here is a video that explains what is going on.

Reactions: spife7980
I had the same problem with the trigger tech diamond when I blew a primer fireforming dasher brass, I had to increase the trigger weight to max then bring it back down to the original weight slowly. It seemed to have fixed the issue.