• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Progressive Loaders

cumnzjarhead

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2012
Puyallup, WA
Yeah, I'm a FNG. To this forum especially. I am finally within eyesite (without optics :D) for a progressive reloader. Anyone's input on manufacturers would be greatly appreciated, though I am seriously considering a Dillon.

Re: Progressive Loaders

I've been using a Dillon 550 since they were sold and the thing keeps churning out good ammo year after year. For a hand gunner and long arm shooter this is one of the best options IMO. I like the non-auto progressive feature because I'm a precision shooter and over time have developed a slightly different work-flow using the Dillon 550 progressive loader as a multistage press. I neck size in 2-stages with a shoulder bump to match the head space for various rifles I reload for during the second neck sizing. I also scale powder charges not throw them and seat bullets based on ogive dimension not COAL. I'm using a Redding Competition bushing neck sizing die, a Redding Type S F/L sizing neck bushing die with a Redding Competition bullet seater. With the Redding Instant Comparator in the press head this all makes for a tight fit but it does work very well.

HTH!

check out the other thread marked proggresive press. compares the hornady and both dillons

Thanks to all for your responses.

Turbo54: I'm buying the press to load ammo to practice the FUN-dementals, not develope the "perfect" load. Great advice to live by, the practicing part. But I understand the drive for "perfection" as well.

Lots of info on progressive loaders on brianenos.com. I use them for large capacity pistol reloading. Tried the Hornady LNL-AP...was not impressed. Tried the RCBS Pro...didn't pan out. Now I use only Dillon 650's for pistol ammo...best progressive built.

Wish I would have just purchased Dillon from the start!

I load all my "precision" ammo on a CO-AX. Totally different philosophy when loading for long range rifles.

My brother loads his plinking .308 ammo as well as his .284 Improved F-Class target ammo on his Dillon 550B.

Oh yeah he also loads his .45ACP on there too.

Jeffvn

Dillon 550b from Brianenos.com

I load .308, .40, .233 on it and it's fantastic. I had one small issue where I bent the primer seating part and I called them and they said not only would they put one in the mail that day but they would include all the parts it touched incase by being bent it bent anything else. Parts showed up 2-3 days later, free of charge. Now I'm a customer for life. It's had to find customer service like that now a days. Buy one with confidence

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadnbrkn84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dillon 550b from Brianenos.com

I load .308, .40, .233 on it and it's fantastic. I had one small issue where I bent the primer seating part and I called them and they said not only would they put one in the mail that day but they would include all the parts it touched incase by being bent it bent anything else. Parts showed up 2-3 days later, free of charge. Now I'm a customer for life. It's had to find customer service like that now a days. Buy one with confidence
</div></div>

Agreed, the 550 is a great unit for churning out bulk pistol ammo or .223 as well as taking your time with precision rifle reloads. Switching between large/small primer units is my only gripe with it.

+1 for the dillon. I will say I have a friend with a cheap a$$ lee progressive and it works fine for batches of pistol ammo for him.

I use the Rcbs progressive and it has been great. I load around 300 rounds an hour at a steady pace. It loads 45acp, 30 carbine ,223 no probs. The aps primer strips is what sealed the deal for me. Since then my reloading bench has turned green with there presses and equipment

Ive been running a 550B for more than 20 years, loading everything from 9mm plinkers to "match" ammo assembled as described above. The CS is second to none. Call them, they will handle it. Might buy a second for a dedicated large/small primer unit. I have added single stage presses and others over the years, but the Dillon keeps on churning out excellent ammo......you could say I am a customer for life...JMHO

I have three dillon, one 550B and two 1050's. i load all my precision rifle ammo on the 550 "semi" progressively. Using the best posssible dies and components make a difference also, not really what press you are using. I tried the same dies and load on a single stage press and got the exact same accuracy so I sold it.
hope this helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have three dillon, one 550B and two 1050's. i load all my precision rifle ammo on the 550 "semi" progressively. <span style="color: #6666CC">Using the best posssible dies and components make a difference also, not really what press you are using. I tried the same dies and load on a single stage press and got the exact same accuracy </span>so I sold it.
hope this helps </div></div>

This is 100% correct. I have found that it is very important to take a few extra minutes to carefully setup your dies and seater before any press session and to confirm the setup as the rounds are being produced.

The beauty of using a Dillon 550 is that it can produce the same repeatable dimensions as long as you have setup your dies well. I have confirmed the dimensions produced by using Reddings Instant Comparator, Wilson headspace gauge and the Hornady Lock 'n Load caliper based headspace and ogive tools.

Single presses are nice but suck up more workbench space, use more time to setup and if you were to use multiple presses to reproduce what a single Dillon 550 cost even more money than a Dillon 550 press does.

I have loaded over 4,000 precision 308's and 20,000 precision varmint (.17, .204, .223, .22-250) rounds on a Dillon 650. I echo the same sentiments expressed by YAOG.

You do have to be careful with the Dillon powder measure and know its quirks (not an issue for ball powder). When the powder causes issues I use a Harrels powder measure and a funnel from Widden Gunworks:

http://whiddengunworks.net/toolhead.html

For precision rifle loading, the 550 is almost as fast as the 650. The auto cartridge feeder makes a big difference for pistol and bulk loaded ammo.

Good shooting ...