• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Project Appleseed

JG26_Irish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2013
Morehead, KY
Project Appleseed. Teaches history of the American Revolution and how citizen militia defeated the British Empire in part with the deployment of aimed fire from riflemen. Finishes with instruction on position shooting with a sling at the target range. Suitable for adults an minors I am told. I am curious if any on the hide have ever attended one of these events? I am thinking of going. I had a ancestor who was living in Lancaster, PA and who fought in the Revolution and was documented to be at the battle of New York, the Battle of Trenton and others in that region. He survived the war and lucky for me fathered several kids including my line of the clan. Moved to Virginia after hearing from all of the soldiers from there how nice it was.

Irish

My wife and I went the full two-days. Well worth your time.
She really enjoyed it. We both learned new stuff. History AND shooting techniques.

I had almost as much enjoyment watching her learn and actually Enjoy the relaxing pace of listen/watch/learn/shoot/analyze/repeat...

Depending on your physical fitness level, you may want to stretch like it's a track-n-field day. We were sore each night from the prone to kneeling to standing and sling-bracing. Not strenuous; just repetitive over the course of 8+ hours.

Take a lunch. Plenty of water. A couple chairs. Sunscreen. Bug repellant. A shooter's mat for every shooter. A few hundred rounds of ammo.
Enjoy the history lesson and the shooting tips.

We wanted to attend the next one around here (which was 6-months later), but my work schedule wouldn't allow it.

We will go again as soon as we can.

Great program that I'd highly recommend.

My shooting improved 100% after the first day and I made rifleman on day two.

The history portion was very interesting and made a nice break between shooting sessions. It's an annual event for me now.

I attended an Appleseed shoot in Maryland. It was informative, fun, and rewarding. I recommend that if you attend, you sight your rifle in on a bench before you go. Also, have an easily adjustable canvas style military sling already installed. They encourage the use of iron sights and they especially like Tech Sights. The one that I attended was .22LR rifles only. I made rifleman on my first and second AQTs. I used a scope on my Marlin 795 because of my aging eyes. Some commented that I made it just because I used a scope, but ironically none of the other 7 shooters with scopes made rifleman either day...
I have since installed Tech Sights and I'd like to see if I can do it again, but my eyes aren't getting any younger. I'll have my kids participate when they get a little older.

Last edited:
What a great program. Been to two. Can't say enough good about it.

They encourage the use of iron sights and they especially like Tech Sights.

When you reference "Tech Sights" are you referring to the adjustable aperture sights commonly found on mil-spec rifles such as the M-14, M1 Garand, and AR style rifles? Most of my 22's are scoped, but I do have an old Rem mod 41 with rudimentary open irons and a Rem 540XR with Redfield match style peeps. My eyes are just about too old for such sights unless I use big black bulls as the tgts. Neither of those open sight rifles have slings or mounts to install slings so that would be a problem. I have a nice sling on a 1903/A1 but that is a 30-06. Will scrounge around and see what I can come up with.

Irish

I am referring to an adjustable aperture sight set manufactured by Tech Sights. Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories The AQT target are scaled for distance, and the farthest scale appears quite small, all with red ink. There is no shame in using a scoped rifle if that is what your eyes need. They teach more than just the use of aperture sights; ie, the use of slings, natural point of aim, and the 6 steps for an accurate shot.

I am referring to an adjustable aperture sight set manufactured by Tech Sights. Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories The AQT target are scaled for distance, and the farthest scale appears quite small, all with red ink. There is no shame in using a scoped rifle if that is what your eyes need. They teach more than just the use of aperture sights; ie, the use of slings, natural point of aim, and the 6 steps for an accurate shot.

What are the youngest children you are likely to see at a Appleseed event?

I thoroughly enjoyed my two trips to Appleseed shoots. I wanted to go again this past April, but the location we went to appears to be no longer holding the shoot. My shooting buddy and I went for the two day shoot each time. They were both great experiences.

I saw shooters from probably 8-9 years old all the way up to their 60's. Safety is constantly observed and stressed.

I heard an interview on NRA News with them this week that indicated they have shortened their name to just Appleseed, but their website still indicates "Project Appleseed". Not that it makes any difference in the quality of the instruction, but wondering if there are any other planned changes to the program?

The way they include patriotic history lessons with marksmanship skills seems like a fantastic set of messages to get out to our young people. Have heard many great reviews of the program, looking forward to attending one with the kids in the future.

Thanks for sharing this... got one in my area in November. My history knowledge(I'm a bit ashamed to say...) isn't much more than what they try to teach in high school and I didn't retain much. LOL.

-Kid

Project Appleseed. Teaches history of the American Revolution and how citizen militia defeated the British Empire in part with the deployment of aimed fire from riflemen. Finishes with instruction on position shooting with a sling at the target range. Suitable for adults an minors I am told. I am curious if any on the hide have ever attended one of these events?

I just went to one, it was great. I've never had any training and usually only shoot with the rifle resting on a bipod, bag or hunting sticks. I learned how valuable the plain-jane GI websling is for standing, sitting/kneeling and prone.

My only tip is make sure you have a rifle that can use a GI websling with the attachment points on the underside of the stock. My RX22 has the front attachment on the upper side of the stock and zero proper attachment point in the rear underside. That only interfered with me using the "Hasty Sling" position while standing. I'll be trying to figure out how to make my rifle work with it between now and my next Appleseed.

Great program! Thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope to take my grandkids as they get old enough. I qualified the first day, but didn't realize it and attended both days. At one point they pair you up with the person beside you to watch for blinking/flinching, my partner happened to be an 11 yr. old boy who was sharp as a tack! It sure helped me with learning to not blink (had no idea I ever did it!) and follow through. I shot the course with a 3x9 scoped AR (ammo $ !) and was in the middle of the line until a lady complained about the noise. The crusty old instructor told her that was what hearing protection was for, but moved me to the end of the line at break. If you shoot the Appleseed with an AR, a brass catcher is a nice courtesy to the person on your right (although my right-sider reloaded .223's & was happy to put up with hot brass!). The Ruger 10-22 was by far the most used rifle there. I started with one, but wasn't getting the results I wanted & figuring it must be the gun (yup, had to be it!) switched to my AR. Attend one, better yet, take a kid with you and attend one.