• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Project Appleseed

Romeo458

That Guy
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2019
NEIA
I attended one of these a couple weeks ago. This was my nephew's Christmas present, and the first class available to us in our area. It was hosted by one of our state representatives at her home, which I was rather impressed by.

The instruction was excellent on basic rifle marksmanship from prone, kneeling/sitting, and standing positions using only a sling. I felt I needed a refresher in these myself and him just beginning I figured what better place to start.

Aside from the shooting we had story time in between sets. This consisted of stories from Lexington and Concord and the first shots of the American revolution. There is also story time about the old men of the revolution. Men in their sixties and seventies who picked up arms and fought back against the British in those early days proving that you're not too old to make a stand.

After finding out that I was already beginning my instructor certifications through the NRA, and how I was coaching my nephew as we were shooting they made the comment many times about my helping them as an instructor. Seeing as how I also teach constitution and law privately they were rather interest it in my skills and I obliged. I am going to start working on becoming an instructor for Appleseed myself. I highly recommend all of you go to one of these no matter what your shooting level and take your kids with you.

I should look into doing a basic marksmanship class like this. I understand that there are better was of shooting a rifle these days but I also think that we (myself included) are getting to caught up in the tacticool way of doing things and could learn something from the old ways.

Welcome to the team! IIT3 here in GA (trying for my Red hat soon enough!). There are going to be a significant amount of differences between precision/ELR shooting methods and AS curriculum. I have to make sure I'm in the right mindset when switching between the two! AS teaches marksmanship with the intention that everyone who qualifies on the AQT has the skills to "own" a 500 yard radius with 4 moa accuracy (rack grade rifle, rack grade ammo).

I’m definitely going to get in on one of these this year, there will be I think two Appleseed shoots this year at my home range.

Reactions: gunsnjeeps
I should look into doing a basic marksmanship class like this. I understand that there are better was of shooting a rifle these days but I also think that we (myself included) are getting to caught up in the tacticool way of doing things and could learn something from the old ways.

You imply that the "better ways" don't need need a foundation in "old ways" of basic marksmanship.

When I got back into shooting after a two year break I did an Appleseed and lucked out to have Distinguished Rifleman and retired Navy Shooting Team member as one of the trainers. Day two was kind of odd being the only shooter with a NMAR on a line of .22 rimfire. Great day of coaching, after the prospects of this summer I might do it again.

I thought I was an ok shooter till I went to an appleseed. I found out different. I also learned the proper way to use the sling to help me shoot. Earned my patch (twice). I, however, was blown away by the history lesson. Most older folks and all young'uns need to go to one (at least) of these classes.

Reactions: Romeo458
I’ve been to a couple Appleseed shoots and earned my patch/became a rifleman back in 2016. Learned a lot and had a great time. A great feeling when adding up your score and making the cut! Everyone should take this class.