• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Prometheus Generation 2

Re: Prometheus Generation 2

Hell yeh, nice write up!

I want one thats for sure. Im scared to find out how long the wait list is

Reminds me I need to get my own Prometheus II back from BoltRipper; I've never actually used it myself...

I feel like a loser because I only have a Gen 1
dscf0068k.jpg

That sure is a beautiful piece of equipment and I would love to own one. If I had one, it would give me one less excuse for a lousy grouping.
myerfire

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That thing is a rediculous monstrousity. It does the same thing a Uniflow and a 505 can do.</div></div>

Oh no you didn't.....watch out, there's a truckload of angry Texans headed your way!!
smile.gif

Anyone know what the wait time is assuming that I can sell my wife's car without her noticing?

I can't tell you much about the wait time other than it is probably about a year or so. Christmas and Birthday cards and presents to the inventor may help. He builds about one per month. The cost is actually a one time payment for a lease for the lifetime of the user. Therefore, the monthly payment amortization where the wife's car is sold would be unusually high. Entering the lease as custodian of an infant son or daughter would lower the cost calculation in all likelihood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That thing is a rediculous monstrousity. It does the same thing a Uniflow and a 505 can do. </div></div>

Really, how much you like to bet on that?

After talking to Brand to order one he said to call him in 6 months
and then maybe I could be put on the list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That thing is a rediculous monstrousity. It does the same thing a Uniflow and a 505 can do. </div></div>

Really, how much you like to bet on that? </div></div>

427 is dead on....Mutt, you really have no clue if you really think that statement is true!

I have a Gen 2 and its everything the writeup says it is. Brand has outdone himself with this one. I have learned to not let folks see or use mine cause their wives always end up calling me and letting me know they are mad at me cause their husband just got on the list to buy one!

Yeah, the price aint cheap, but neither is the product, or my time, or the cost of shooting a match, or the cost of dropping just 1 point, or sometimes, 1 X. Using the Gen 2, I KNOW that no point lost is due to an erratic powder charge. The accuracy and speed of the Gen is mindboggling. I have loaded thousands of rounds on mine and am still in awe when using it.

The only gripe I have about it is that I no longer have prepp'd brass sitting around waiting for powder. Go figure!

John

Some things in this life are worth what you pay for them and some things are worth more then you pay for them. You can't put an item like this on a worth it type scale( No pun intended) It's worth piece of mind to some guys who will not have that piece of mind with any other scale. What is that worth? Hate to say it, but the term is priceless.

I can't shoot well enough at ranges where a powder flake make a difference. To argue the point itself is, Well.. Pointless..... If you are going to argue it with guys who shoot from700 to 1000 yards.

I know guys who have Giraud trimmers that only trim 500 cases a year. It's worth it when it comes time to trim cases. The same goes with this scale. Some guys may enjoy using it more then the cost to own it! We look at many things we buy that way but for some reason our reloading tools do not wind up in that category.

I drive a Chevrolet 4x4. Do I need it? Sometimes I do... and I am sure glad I paid the price when it is time to drive in snow and ice.

I use my Giraud trimmer to trim cases. It paid for itself the first time I used it. My hands didn't hurt for 3 days after-word from chamfering cases. Worth far more then the 500 bucks I paid for it. This scale falls into the same category. Jeff

Anyone who can afford one and loads precision ammo in quanity should have one. I love mine. It is a matter of what you value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reminds me I need to get my own Prometheus II back from BoltRipper; I've never actually used it myself... </div></div>

You mean the one he sold me for 500.00 wasn't actually his to sell!!!! Damnit

I had to think about whether I needed to drop that amount of coin on a powder measure. I went ahead and had Brand put my name on the list. I am so glad I did. It works flawless & is everything I hoped it would be. You can go to the firing line as folks have already mentioned with a high degree of confidence in your ammo. One of the best purchases I have made.
Semper Fi

The question isn't if the Pro device is "accurate" or rather, repeatable, to .00001 gr but if that matters at all; it doesn't. At least not if your cases and bullets and primers aren't equally as precise...and they aren't. Real world powder charge accuracy to .1 grain, or even less, is as accurate as reloaders need.

Some of you that have not had the opportunity to use a Pro 2 really dont understand what makes it so great. Not only is it more accurate than anything on the market, (and yes, probably more accrurate than most shooters need), but its the accuracy that is precise every single time and FAST (7-10 seconds per charge), that is what is unique. The electric jobs from RCBS, Lyman, etc (I have both of those brands) arent nearly as fast, and no where near as accurate. Yeah, I know the scale SAYS is 47.2 grains, but its probably not....figure +/- .1, at best, but probably more like +/- .2 grain. For me, that aint going to cut it.

Plus, I KNOW the Pro 2 isnt drifting. And if I can go out on the course with ammo that I KNOW has perfect powder charges, that increases my confidence in my ammo and considering 95% of shooting is mental, thats a big deal.

But, dont let me talk you into a Pro 2....naw, save your money and put it into something else, meanwhile, I will be practicing during all the extra time I now have that I used to burn weighing powder charges! :)

MudCat, at what ±0.x grains error rate do you first detect loss of accuracy at longer ranges?

Elevation is the issue. At 1000, if you are more than 25fps off your standard, thats going to put you out of the X ring. Keep in mind I can get the same accuracy our of my Gen 1, or even a regular ol thrower and a good balance scale, BUT, it aint going to be in an avg of about 7 secs per throw/charge! Thats the beauty of this device...I used to spend hours loading just one box of ammo, now I can do it in minutes. My wife actually thinks I am a dumbass for not getting such a machine earlier, but as they didnt exist, nothing I could do.

John

Mudcat: "...an avg of about 7 secs per throw/charge! Thats the beauty of this device...I used to spend hours loading just one box of ammo, now I can do it in minutes."

Goodness, "hours loading just ONE box of ammo" due to weighting charges? That's very hard to understand. I need about 20 seconds to drop and trickle up a charge accurate to .1 gr with traditional fully manual tools, that's 3 rounds a minute or 180 rounds an hour! Even if I took twice as long, I'd still do nearly 100 rounds - 5 boxes - in an hour!

Considering that a normal reloading session requires examining previously tumbled cases, lubing/sizing, checking case lenght and trimming/chamfering-deburring if needed, priming, charging, seating bullets, cleaning lube, putting it in a box. And that ignores the time to get the dies in and out of the press, charging my auto hand primer tool, putting powder in the measure/trickler and returning the remainder, ditto primers takes time. Even if my powder charging was instanteanous it would't make a lot of difference in my total bench time!

Confidence in ammo is understandable. But, I think it can be demonstrated that measuring powder to +/- .0000001 grain and splitting the last kernal to make it so adds nothing to the targets. The normal tiny variations in primers, cases and bullets simply exceed the value of such precise powder charge weights.

But, we all have to pay the fiddler so we can dance to our own tune.
wink.gif

Actually, the increase in speed is not only from throwing the charge quickly but the fact that you are able to seat a bullet at the same time the machine is automatically trickling the previously gross thrown charge to a precise weight. When running the Prometheus, you are both throwing charges and seating bullets at the same time.

The rest of reloading tasks take a lot of time for sure. A combination of a Prometheus and a Giraud would increase overall speed in reloading the most.

As an aside, I do understand that some have incorporated a Prometheus for use with a progressive press. Not my cup of tea though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That thing is a rediculous monstrousity. It does the same thing a Uniflow and a 505 can do. </div></div>

lol.......

Accurate, precise, and fast

On the PII you get all three, name another that can even come close to playing?

Fuzzball, youre obviously much quicker than me with the old stuff and got more time than I do. For me, I rather not spend all day weighing charges when i can do 50 rounds in 11 mins, powder dropped and bullets seated. That, to me, is worth the expense of the Pro II.

But, nothing is stopping anyone from using the old, slow, methods. Frankly, I see having the Pro II as having an advantage, one of many, and that never hurts.

John

"But, we all have to pay the fiddler so we can dance to our own tune."

Yeah John, both time - and money - counts. When I was a youngun I had a little more money but a lot less time. Now I'm retarded...I mean retired...I have much more time but a LOT less money! And I don't shoot a lot any more either. I WOULD like to play with your dumpster system, I just would't PAY for it!
wink.gif

I never thought of how fast I might load 50 prepped cases. Now that you raise it, I figger it would take me maybe 35 seconds a round, for a total of about 30 minutes to charge and seat if all the preliminarys were done and the press/die and powder measure/trickler was already set up.

PM will follow...Jim

"Now I'm retarded...I mean retired...I have much more time but a LOT less money!" <--- Hilarious!

I hear ya, and I cringed when I wrote the check, but trust me, if you get to use one, and you load a lot and want accurate charges, its a must have. I shoot way to much not to have one and my ammo requirements are pretty stringent...thus, it makes sense for me. but, I certainly agree that for a lot of folks, it doesnt.

John

Isnt this thing said to be able to deliver repeatable charges to within 1 KERNAL? (For extruded powders)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isnt this thing said to be able to deliver repeatable charges to within 1 KERNAL? (For extruded powders) </div></div>

Right in there.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm really enjoying reloading on the Prometheus Gen 2. For those interested, here is a little bit more about the unit, getting one, and Brand Cole:

<span style="color: #CC0000">http://www.wavelaw.com/PrometheusPDFVersion.pdf</span> </div></div>

Very nice writeup.

The only time its off by a kernal of powder is when two kernals get dropped at one time and that only happens when two kernals get stood up in the powder feeder instead of lying down.

One Gen II Prometheus, $2,850.00.....tank of fuel for road trip to visit Brand Cole...... $40.00, breakfast for Ripper at McDonalds to navigate, $4.00......Loading precision ammunition in 1/5th the time it use to take.....PRICELESS!!!!!!! Is it worth the money? Hell yes!, if you have one.

Just figure you will have one less custom build that you probably dont need anyhow!

Spoke with Brand Cole...what a nice guy...found out we had some things in common.

I am on the list..will I live long enough to receive the device?

Yes,
If you spoke with Brand and had a nice conversation, you will be getting a call. I would get the payment ready. You will like Brand even better after you meet him. Actually meeting him is about as cool as get the Pro II.

The great thing about dealing with Brand is that he truly cares about the equipment he sells and that it works as intended for his customers. And it is absolutely true that he will be on the phone checking to see if the scale made it safely before you probably know it arrived (happened to me cause someone in the office signed for it while I was out and he called while I was on the road to a match a camp lejuene so he knew before I did that it had been delivered!).

he will also walk you thru any setup issues, etc. Truly a class act, and one heck of a machine. Just loaded a couple hundred 6.5x284 for this weekend LR match tonight on mine....piece of cake.

John

Mudcat_NC: Thanks for the info provided via PM. I was poised to beg Brand to put me in line but decided to hold off for now.

I've struggled with a cataract in my dominant eye for some time now and finally decided to have the surgery. I think I will have the other eye done (out of pocket) to improve my long distance vision.

If Brand keeps making them, I'm sure that one will be in my future. Jon Beanland speaks highly of his Gen II as well. Thanks for the first hand testimony. BAT_Boy

type in "prometheous powder measure" in youtube and see them in action.