• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

prone for fat guys?

Kinda hard shooting when you are high centered. 3 options, lose the carport, bench rest, or tripod and chair. Nothing is as steady as prone, but have seen some pretty big boys doing very well at the bench or with tripods. Good luck!

Higher bipod? And by extension, any kind of drop towards the front of the shooting position just makes it worse. I just like to think that I’m more resistant to recoil and more stable shooting platform, you just have to get OK with having a higher shooting position than the bags of bones.

Taller front rest (bipod or pack). Then add a rest under your chest (rolled up coat or ?) Or just stack anything under your 80/20 bag. That helps a lot.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Chest bag. Im also fat and have a broken vertebrae in my neck. I started with a rolled up jacket under my man tits, but now use a cheap ass kids backpack filled with stuffing. Just something to elevate your chest and change the position of your neck to your back. Will help your lower back also.

Reactions: rbecklund
holly..some great ideas to work on..been doing lots of bench shooting but want to get into the prone shooting as well..So from what you mention,well
a taller rear bag also be needed as well..?

Maybe, depending how flat the ground is, I use a chest bag when needed and then have 4 different height rear bags. My lady makes my rear bags, its basically just an old lead shot bag filled with bean bag filling and she sews a zipper in the top so I can add or remove filling to make it the density I want.

not trying to be a smart ass even though this is going to come out that way but dig a hole for your gut if you are on dirt or something you can dig. then you will be lower to your gun if your bipod doesn't raise up enough.

Being a large man, 6'4" and I used to be 450lbs when I did most of my shooting from prone, I would make a hole for my gut to rest in since my bipod was as high as it would go.

Reactions: C_Mack
I think I have the problem solved by shooting like uncle sam taught me to do instead of trying to be straight behind the rifle..be more at a angle
and it seems to work a lot better..so the old ways do work better..

I think I have the problem solved by shooting like uncle sam taught me to do instead of trying to be straight behind the rifle..be more at a angle

I’ve noticed that too, a bit of the bent right leg seems to help- but I haven’t been willing to give up the straight line position because I know it is better. I think the bent leg is also a sign that you still aren’t high enough and perhaps might benefit from a chest bag. Shot with a guy once that suggested one of those wedge shaped sex pillows..... at least I think it was for shooting... guns.

I think some of the variation is where people carry weight - some people are belly heavy and others are more widely dispersed, and it depends on how heavy you are.

I have noticed as I get the bipod higher, I’m having to use a bag under my rear bag.

Low bipods are like trying to fight into the ‘right’ number of pant waist slacks. Just go with what feels good and looks right.

Build a portable bench (with adjustable legs) and forget prone.
Hard on older guys too.

photo79904.jpg

Attachments

• photo79905.jpg
    photo79905.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
fewer guys are shooting prone and that's where the prizes come in.soi'm gonna make one of those prizes mine...lol

No offense but have you thought about just losing some weight?

About 2 years ago I was really out of shape and decided to just do something about it. Lost 30lbs and am in the best shape of my life now at almost 40

No offense but have you thought about just losing some weight?

About 2 years ago I was really out of shape and decided to just do something about it. Lost 30lbs and am in the best shape of my life now at almost 40

Congradulations to you..yes I;m workinh on that as well but it's tough at my age..lol

Getting off at an angle may make it more comfortable for you but it's a poor trade off for accuracy. Not being lined up behind your rifle properly is going to manifest itself with other problems, recoil affecting your POI, etc. You'd be better off shooting from a good portable bench until you can drop some weight. Why start developing bad habits now?

I'm a fat guy myself (working on being less so). I bought a 6-9 harris because that's what everyone else uses. I'm going to grab a 9-13 because I get the same issues with a kinked neck.

I'm a fat guy myself (working on being less so). I bought a 6-9 harris because that's what everyone else uses. I'm going to grab a 9-13 because I get the same issues with a kinked neck.

My plan is to practice all winter if it's not to cold..Hope to have it mastered by spring first match..I shoot at a slight angle and it seems to be
working good so far.And that's the way uncle sam taught me so it has to be the correct way...lol

Try using the Cocked Knew method like used in HIgh Power. You lay more on your side witch takes the weight off your diafram.

Prone%20Position.jpg

Being a big boned guy (with lots of fat around them) I find it hard on my neck as well, but it does take a bit. Even as big as I am (330 lbs) I am still a wee bit flexible. I do a yoga workout in my basement about once a week or three, and even though I suck at it, it really seems to help. Lots on Youtube. I am too on the weight loss road. Just tired of being fat. Can't wear any cool camo, can't find snowshoes, don't want to fly cause I can't fit in the seats, etc, etc. Started reading and listening to Jocko Willick. Awesome guy, great motivator. Made me think in a different way. No more excuses, b.s, or feeling sorry for myself (I put myself in this position). Just do what I know needs to be done.

Reactions: DJL2
I was taught the cocked leg thing was to help remedy breathing issues while lining up the shot. Like diagonal stringing.

The kinked neck will go away with practice. At least mine did. Where I was hunting I spent a lot of time prone looking through the scope and it was terrible on my neck. By the end of the season I never noticed. But with my wife cooking I am starting to know what you mean about the belly

Thanks

Buck

Just carry an E-tool around in your shooting bag. Whenever your fat stomach needs room, just dig a hole the size of your stomach in the ground. Lay over it. Think of it as a fat trench.

Do this enough times and your stomach will get smaller.

Win/Win.

Reactions: ...
Yep, need to raise the bipod. Worked with a moderately large guy last fall on an open f class shoot and had him doing pretty well with just this adjustment.

I bought the leg extensions for my Atlas bipod. Raising the rifle up a bit certainly feels a bit more comfortable to me for prone shooting.
I saw an interesting video that deals with that topic:

We use one shooting location that is slightly downhill and it is hard on the neck since the target area is uphill from there. I take a piece of plywood about 5' long x 3' wide and put a couple of ~5" thick bricks under the front, then throw the mat over the plywood. This is not nearly as canted as the setup used by HCR:

im kinda fluffy as well and i have no problem getting down on the ground prone. I prefer it actually.

As Lowlight and a couple other people have suggested you need to raise the bipod. My bipod is a 9-13 model and I'm probably at around 11". When I saw the video Frank posted about raising the bipod I found a larger rear bag and did it. The consistency with which I can shoot tiny groups improved tremendously. I am 6-5 and 200 pounds, so I'm not overweight YET, but when I'm in the prone position there is significant room for exrta baggage underneath. It might not be as comfy if I had a belly, but it would definitely be doable.

Chest bag. Im also fat and have a broken vertebrae in my neck. I started with a rolled up jacket under my man tits, but now use a cheap ass kids backpack filled with stuffing. Just something to elevate your chest and change the position of your neck to your back. Will help your lower back also.

I use a large fanny pack filled with styrofoam pellets. Straps to my chest and stays put when changing positions/locations. Spine is fused from C6-T2 and I cant look up as far as I used to. Works well in PRS matches and in practice. However having a fanny pack is a -1 on tacticool scores...

I brought a shovel to shoot prone,I lay on the ground chalk around my gut and then dig out that area.Once set in from the side profile I look like a skinny dude until I stand back up.
10440b_orig.jpg

Reactions: gatorbait308
Due to arthritis and worn-out disks, I have very limited range of motion in my neck. It is practically impossible for me to shoot prone with a normal 6-11" bipod.

The solution for me is a 9-13" bipod and a large bag like a Wiebad Pump Pillow or Cole-TAC cuddle bag. I have the bipod marked with a silver marker so I know where to extend it. The bag supports my chest at a height where my neck can comfortably sustain a correct cheek weld and the toe of the stock rests on a corner of the bag for a very solid 3-point support.

Give it a try. I now look forward to prone stages instead of dreading them. Downside is dragging two bipods around because the tall bipod is too tall for about anything but prone.

Anyone that can dig a “fat trench” and get off 10 well aimed shots under a 90 sec par time gets serious props. And, won’t be digging that fat trench for very long. That’s MOVING some dirt... :eek: